Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:58   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner Facelift Spied! *UPDATE* Uncovered pics on Pg.6

I was going through the Toyota philipines site on the specs for the facelift Fortuner. I'm surprised to find it coming with the 1KD-FTV engine, which is actually the first generation engine.

Toyota - Fortuner

While the current fortuners are coming with the 2KD-FTV.

According to Wikipedia, 1KD-FTV is prone to injector failures due to non-availability of low sulphur fuel in many parts of the world (I'd assume India being one of them).

Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may present a problem.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:20   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I was going through the Toyota philipines site on the specs for the facelift Fortuner. I'm surprised to find it coming with the 1KD-FTV engine, which is actually the first generation engine.

Toyota - Fortuner

While the current fortuners are coming with the 2KD-FTV.

According to Wikipedia, 1KD-FTV is prone to injector failures due to non-availability of low sulphur fuel in many parts of the world (I'd assume India being one of them).

Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may present a problem.
The indian Fortuner is 1KD-FTV and not 2KD-FTV. 2KD-FTV is 2.5L whereas the 1KD-FTV is 3L.

The 2KD-FTV is used in the Innova.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd December 2011 at 12:22.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:30   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(I'd assume India being one of them).
Well, India has shifted to Low sulphur diesel since 2010 (Euro III compliant) and some cities like Delhi and all major metros are now on ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel, Euro IV compliant)

Quote:
India

Delhi first introduced ULSD on April 1, 2010 as a step aimed at curbing vehicular pollution in the capital.
The sulphur content in the diesel currently being used was previously 350 parts per million (ppm) while it will be 15 ppm in ULSD.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:35   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Petrol CRV 4*4 is Rs. 24,13,432.
Santa FE 4*4 is 23,46,500.
Captiva AWD is 19,93,547.

Fortuner 4WD is 20,24,030.

IMO Fortuner is still priced competitively compared to what the competition offers. Its only when compared to superb VFM products like the XUV5OO (from a segment down) that the fortuner appears to be overpriced.
Well out of those cars CRV is suffering highly because of Honda's troubles. Much has been said about it elsewhere. Santa FE is a CBU ( right?) and hence the price which makes it a highly non VFM car IMHO.

But Captiva is so well priced. And so is the Endy. I consider these cars more in comparison with the Fortuner. Only thing they lack is the T badge but then ofcourse that has its own charm.

The trick in my opinion here is the initial pricing. The fortuner when launched undercut almost all the SUVs out there and came out as an extremely VFM buy. And that initial impression has done wonders for the car. Toyota has silently and steadily increased prices across its range but the VFM tag has clinged on to the TOFU.
Old 3rd December 2011, 19:59   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But Captiva is so well priced. And so is the Endy. I consider these cars more in comparison with the Fortuner. Only thing they lack is the T badge but then ofcourse that has its own charm.
I hope the competing vehicles re-adjust themselves to give stiffer competition to Toyota and bring down the premium they charge. I find Captiva to be a sensible buy in the segment. My friend got one, it's nice [more features / NVH / Premium feel] and never had any problems so far in the last 20K kms or so and has a reasonable service cost too [averages 40p for 1 km or 40K for 1L kms as mentioned by the SA].

I hope Toyota brings in some additional features in Fortuner and seriously hope they have re-designed the stupid ACC controls, I hate that
Old 3rd December 2011, 20:18   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
hope they have re-designed the stupid ACC controls
Well I have been using their Auto AC controls since 2004 Corolla and can vouch they are spot on in their functionality, utility and practicality in the current Fortuner too. I don't see anything stupid in them at all and would hate it if they tamper with it unless they give us something revolutionary.
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:59   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well I have been using their Auto AC controls since 2004 Corolla and can vouch they are spot on in their functionality, utility and practicality in the current Fortuner too. I don't see anything stupid in them at all and would hate it if they tamper with it unless they give us something revolutionary.
Well, I was pointing to the visual appeal of the set of controls. To me the buttons & controls / layout look way too down market for the price of the car [I don't like it in the Innova as well]. I would rather like to have the Corolla styled ACC buttons for Fortuner - looks good and gives a premium feel to the car.

PS:: From some videos about the face lifted Fortuner, the ICE has been changed, but not the ACC layout / buttons! The blue illumination looks better too.

Link to the video - please delete if this is already posted.

Old 4th December 2011, 10:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, India has shifted to Low sulphur diesel since 2010 (Euro III compliant) and some cities like Delhi and all major metros are now on ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel, Euro IV compliant)

Hi dkaile,

Thanks in theory... in reality how many fuel stations would be selling fuel that meets or exceeds these standards? Else we would have never needed the thread, "trusted fuel pumps in xyz city" . Apart from cheating in quantity, quality is also a major issue.

Its poor quality fuel that hurts the engine, resulting in expensive service/repairs.

Nitin
Old 4th December 2011, 11:15   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi dkaile,

Thanks in theory... in reality how many fuel stations would be selling fuel that meets or exceeds these standards? Else we would have never needed the thread, "trusted fuel pumps in xyz city" . Apart from cheating in quantity, quality is also a major issue.

Its poor quality fuel that hurts the engine, resulting in expensive service/repairs.

Nitin
Nitin, availability of low sulphur diesel across the country (compulsorily) and adulteration of fuels are two separate issues. I was just contending that India is one of the countries which has shifted to low sulfur diesel across the board on your query whether that was available in India. Pilferage and adulteration of fuels is a major problem in India which we all face. Those problems affects not just Toyota but all brands of vehicles.

Anyways, Toyota diesels have been coping pretty well with Indian diesel quality which I can vouch for as I have been using them with zero fuel related issues on my Qualis since last 10 years now and have also not heard any major issues resulting from Indian diesel quality from other Fortuner owners who have been using their vehicles with Indian diesel since last few years.

Last edited by dkaile : 4th December 2011 at 11:20.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 11:28   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nitin, availability of low sulphur diesel across the country (compulsorily) and adulteration of fuels are two separate issues. I was just contending that India is one of the countries which has shifted to low sulfur diesel across the board on your query whether that was available in India. Pilferage and adulteration of fuels is a major problem in India which we all face. Those problems affects not just Toyota but all brands of vehicles.

Anyways, Toyota diesels have been coping pretty well with Indian diesel quality which I can vouch for as I have been using them with zero fuel related issues on my Qualis since last 10 years now and have also not heard any major issues resulting from Indian diesel quality from other Fortuner owners who have been using their vehicles with Indian diesel since last few years.
I agree with you on that... between, do you have plans to upgrade to the facelifted Fortuner?
Old 4th December 2011, 11:41   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The trick in my opinion here is the initial pricing. The fortuner when launched undercut almost all the SUVs out there and came out as an extremely VFM buy. And that initial impression has done wonders for the car. Toyota has silently and steadily increased prices across its range but the VFM tag has clinged on to the TOFU.
Couldn't agree more. You can also read my opinion in the thread titled as Overpriced duds. This strategy is the perfect answer to our over smart "kitna deti hai" junta? Another perfect eg is scorpio, i20 and now XUV500.
Old 4th December 2011, 12:37   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you on that... between, do you have plans to upgrade to the facelifted Fortuner?
Yes, but its not an upgrade but as an add-on as a second vehicle for my younger brother who would be upgrading from the Qualis. I just love the current Fortuner's classic shape and would retain that for myself.

The fight will be going on between the Facelifted Fortuner & New BUMW 320D which is also to be shortly released in India. I had even shortlisted the XUV but am a tad disappointed by the lack of engineering finesse on the vehicle under the smart outer skin as per preliminary reports being received from its owners.

Last edited by dkaile : 4th December 2011 at 12:38.
Old 4th December 2011, 14:42   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have filled up from pumps in the middle of nowhere (bad planning on my part, I know). A small village/town b/w Bandhabgarh and Kanha, on the way to Satyamangalam, a pump outside Kanakpura etc. I have felt a slight lower responsiveness and smoothness, but otherwise things were fine. I think even with adulteration, diesel that is available across the country is ok for the Fortuner.
Old 4th December 2011, 20:36   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Couldn't agree more. You can also read my opinion in the thread titled as Overpriced duds. This strategy is the perfect answer to our over smart "kitna deti hai" junta? Another perfect eg is scorpio, i20 and now XUV500.
Exactly XUV will always be the most VFM SUV regardless of the price hikes. Anyways the Fortuner is still placed very competitively. Its still got all its fundamentals strong and enjoys that special place in our hearts so its going to sell.

Anyways enough of off topic discussion. Lets talk about the new Fortuner now .
Old 5th December 2011, 11:59   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Absolutely, unless others reduce prices Toyota will continue to sell Fortuner at current levels. XUV/Safari are great products but not niggle free. Safari has the potential to challenge Fortuner as its got the same off-roading DNA but i do not see that happening anytime soon as far as quality issues with Safari is concerned.
I doubt any of the Indian born SUV's coming close to the Toyota quality in the near future. In a rush to fill up the vehicle with too many chinese electronics and providing additional features has its negative sides. Fortuner on the other hand is pretty bland and with bare minimum functionalities but still sells at a highly bloated price.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed