Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 21:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In the past two years of our 2004 E270, we have not paid as much for maintainance as we used to thanks to the mechanic we have found. I believe we pay around 1L a year tops for everything, but the car has not given much issues.
These independent garages - where do they get the original parts from? Not from Mercedes Benz India I'm sure. Assuming that they import the components, doesn't it take time for them to fix an issue like replacing brake pads or suspension? I don't think they can afford to keep large inventories of parts of various Mercedes models.

Other questions -

- Do they give you the packaging of the the components they've replaced with the German markings? This is to be sure that the components replaced are original.

-Won't the resale value of your Merc fall if you have serviced it outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A slightly different perspective. Is experiencing JOY only about the Money?
In a car, some people look for the maximum BANG. And then there are those who look for the maximum BANG FOR THE BUCK!
Old 25th May 2011, 06:19   #17
BHPian

A very interesting thread!

I am also a big supporter of used cars specially in cities like Delhi and Mumbai where things are much cheaper. So I'll keep all my prices based on these cities:

Today you can easily get a 2007 50k run 5 Series for around 20lacs in Delhi. And a 2008 one for around 22-23 lacs.

This is a massive drop of 50%+ in just 3 years as BMWs only started selling recently as compared to Mercs which come even cheaper.

It is definitely true the higher you go the harder you fall. The price difference between a used 3 and 5 is quite little. And not to mention the 7 series which can easily come for around 35 lacs (2007 +)
These cars sure do depreciate fast!

My view if someone wants to buy a 5 series in the next 12 months (all relative to the trend that I see on Carwale.com):

2008 525D, 50k kms - 20 lacs
Maintenance for the next 4 years - 5 lacs (including new tyres).
Resell in 4 years, 100k kms - 10 lacs (still a lot of kms to go before the car will give up)

Total ownership cost in 4 years - 15 lacs including most of maintenance.

The 2nd owner saves the most in this deal as he gets the car for more than half the price which is still relatively fresh and less run.

I think that is very reasonable. Specially for people who can't afford the original price tag but are brave enough to handle the relatively expensive maintenance.
Of course you lost 15 lacs in 4 years for a little more pleasure and profile. But that is mostly what matters to someone who wants to go this route.
Depreciation will be there with every car, either its a Nano or a Bentley which you can buy today for half the price of what the original owner must have paid 4 years back (you save 1c just on that).

Instead of only looking at the depreciation savings we should also look at the price you paid in the end to own that sensational car for 4 years. Then things look a bit different:

1st owner: Paid 45 lacs (including BSi and tyres) - After selling in 4 years his final car price came to 25 lacs

2nd owner: Paid 25 lacs (including maintenance and tyres) - After selling in 4 years his final price came down to 15 lacs

Not only the 2nd owner saved at least 10 lacs but he also got to buy a car which he couldn't have afforded brand new. It is all relative to one's individual money power.

Last edited by goingout : 25th May 2011 at 06:34.
goingout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 09:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

@smartcat: I am not sure where they get the parts from, but if you have chosen a good S.S., the parts would be original. Also, many a times, the parts are expensive, but the labor at the S.S. might be cheaper and in case of faults they might chose to repair and not replace thus saving a lot on the bills. IIRC, even at the S.S. we go to, the parts are expensive, but many times the parts would be repaired and not replaced, provided the problem did not arise due to wear and tear.
Resale value would not be hit, provided you had a service history and the car ran well.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 09:43   #19
BHPian

Statement true for unpopular models... but definitely not a C220 or 320d can match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
this is more or less true of the germans - recently I saw a 5-6 year old merc C200K which had done 26K Kms going for 13.5 lacs. If one pushes it one can get it for 12.5 or so.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:36   #20

Going by the number of new bmw/audi's entering the roads everyday, their new model launches, is it prudent to assume that the price of the executive pre-owned cars would still come down in the next few years?

I am cynically hoping that prices would come down to a limit when I can stretch my legs and grab the nearest wheel

For those already own these premium vehicles: Sorry guys! need to plot something to get my hands on to my first bmw
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:42   #21
BHPian

Even after getting the maintenece pack you are bound to be surprised every time you send the car for service. Even i was when i was asked for Rs 5800 for the 13k km service of my X1. Rs 5000 for alignment + balancing and rs 800 for car wash . And they were not ashamed of stating that this is not covered in their BSI .
Though I did not pay them anything but I strongly believe for a normal man there would be so many similar surprises in store every time he takes the car to them .
.Albatross. is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:12   #22
Team-BHP Support

Come again - How many zeroes after 5 for wheel alignment?
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
Even after getting the maintenece pack you are bound to be surprised every time you send the car for service. Even i was when i was asked for Rs 5800 for the 13k km service of my X1. Rs 5000 for alignment + balancing and rs 800 for car wash . And they were not ashamed of stating that this is not covered in their BSI .
Though I did not pay them anything but I strongly believe for a normal man there would be so many similar surprises in store every time he takes the car to them .

HOLY COW!! 5000 for Alignment and balancing!!?? Do they use silver balancing weights or what? This is downright robbery.What if you get your alignment and balancing done from an outside reputed shop?

And how did you end up not paying anything?
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:28   #24
BHPian

@ smartcat - Here I repeat , the charges quoted were 5000 INR for wheel alignment and balancing and 8000 INR for car wash.
@ sagarpadaki - The charges shocked me so much that I could not stop myself from yelling at them . A quick quotation of maruti doing car wash for free for even an 800 which has come for even a small job free of cost , refered the name of the owner of Bird whom my brother knows well , few questions regarding the charges of drinking water which was offered to me to cool down and a reference of a big Manufacturing Defect (as per BMW) made them declare that I need not pay anything .
.Albatross. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 02:45   #25

Hi this thread has most information I am looking for ! I am looking to buy a used BMW X1 registered in 2012 May. Dealer has quoted me 28L for this Highline model. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a BSI 5 years/60K Kms plan, so that I will be covered for the next 4 years. Since prices now have gone up for the BSI plan, and since some of you have been using BMW X1 for a while. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a BSI plan by loosing 1 year ? Please help me figure this out if any one of you can.

Thank you,
Naveen.
Old 9th May 2013, 05:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenreddycars View Post
Hi this thread has most information I am looking for ! I am looking to buy a used BMW X1 registered in 2012 May. Dealer has quoted me 28L for this Highline model. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a BSI 5 years/60K Kms plan, so that I will be covered for the next 4 years. Since prices now have gone up for the BSI plan, and since some of you have been using BMW X1 for a while. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a BSI plan by loosing 1 year ? Please help me figure this out if any one of you can.

Thank you,
Naveen.
I do have 3 year/60k BSI on my two 5 series and honestly I think its money down the drain. I would not opt for it again.

Newer BMWs are much more reliable and the cost of service or parts is not high enough to justify getting the BSI. You can start off with 3 years/60k kms and extend it to 5 years at a later stage if you do not to wish to block your funds right now.

Also, 28 lakhs is a bit steep for an X1

Last edited by fre2bpowerless : 9th May 2013 at 05:26.
Old 9th May 2013, 07:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

May be slightly off topic but as it related to used German luxury cars, posting here.
Came across a BMW which is for sale and is exhibited on the wayside en-route to Kottayam from Kochi, and that too near a small town. The car is a HR registered one.

Perhaps, this may be quite common i metros, but seeing a BMW is a first. Altos and M800s which are for sale are seen on waysides rarely in Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?-photo0060.jpg  

BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?-photo0061.jpg  

Old 9th May 2013, 09:11   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
I do have 3 year/60k BSI on my two 5 series and honestly I think its money down the drain. I would not opt for it again.

Newer BMWs are much more reliable and the cost of service or parts is not high enough to justify getting the BSI. You can start off with 3 years/60k kms and extend it to 5 years at a later stage if you do not to wish to block your funds right now.

Also, 28 lakhs is a bit steep for an X1
Hey, Thanks for the response !!. My dad is really not interested taking the BSI, but wanted to make sure. Since you said you have been using BMW's for a while now, may i know how much was your average maintenance cost per annum. The X1 would be our second car, so it would be used very less.
Also you mentioned that 28L is a bit steep. I was about to ask that question in another thread. its only 11 months used and has 12k Kms on it, and a Highline model. I am still negotiating and asking 26L, do you think that is reasonable ? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Naveen.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenreddycars View Post
Hey, Thanks for the response !!. My dad is really not interested taking the BSI, but wanted to make sure. Since you said you have been using BMW's for a while now, may i know how much was your average maintenance cost per annum. The X1 would be our second car, so it would be used very less.
Also you mentioned that 28L is a bit steep. I was about to ask that question in another thread. its only 11 months used and has 12k Kms on it, and a Highline model. I am still negotiating and asking 26L, do you think that is reasonable ? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Naveen.
I think there were pretty good discounts for x1 last year and start of this year. Some of them picked it up a new x1 for 30 Lakhs. Any car looses a minimum of 15% -20% its value the moment it is out of the showroom. and if it is a luxury car by the end of 1st year you are looking anywhere between 25-35% depreciation. Do ask for their purchase price and quote around 35% depreciation.

A friend of ours are selling their 2012 320d with 13k km on the odo for 30 lakhs in Hyderabad. The car is KA registered and purchased for 46 lakhs less than a year ago. If you want I can connect you
Old 9th May 2013, 10:17   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I think there were pretty good discounts for x1 last year and start of this year. Some of them picked it up a new x1 for 30 Lakhs. Any car looses a minimum of 15% -20% its value the moment it is out of the showroom. and if it is a luxury car by the end of 1st year you are looking anywhere between 25-35% depreciation. Do ask for their purchase price and quote around 35% depreciation.

A friend of ours are selling their 2012 320d with 13k km on the odo for 30 lakhs in Hyderabad. The car is KA registered and purchased for 46 lakhs less than a year ago. If you want I can connect you
I am also looking for a 3 series, but if its KA registered, we would need to pay the road tax after we purchase the car, which will probably not work out. But thanks a lot for the offer, and do let me know if there are any AP registered X1's or 3 series. Appreciate your help !

Naveen.

Most Viewed