Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 10:55   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenreddycars View Post
I am also looking for a 3 series, but if its KA registered, we would need to pay the road tax after we purchase the car, which will probably not work out. But thanks a lot for the offer, and do let me know if there are any AP registered X1's or 3 series. Appreciate your help !

Naveen.
I will surely do that. You can get a refund from Karnataka RTO but that will be a tedious process.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:08   #32
BANNED

I was also thinking about one, but the cost of maintenance has scared me off.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:59   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi this thread has most information I am looking for ! I am looking to buy a used BMW X1 registered in 2012 May. Dealer has quoted me 28L for this Highline model. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a BSI 5 years/60K Kms plan, so that I will be covered for the next 4 years. Since prices now have gone up for the BSI plan, and since some of you have been using BMW X1 for a while. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a BSI plan by loosing 1 year ? Please help me figure this out if any one of you can.

Thank you,
Naveen.
Try and get the X1 for 25l, I think that would be a fair price. 28l is ridiculous. If you are planning on keeping the car for a few more years then I would suggest you get the 5 year BSI. It gives you peace of mind over anything else. Imagine being able to drive your Bimmer however you want and knowing that should anything happen mechanically you won't pay a dime. Also the 5 services over the 5 years would add up to about 1.5l, then the brake pad and disc change would be another 30k odd. If something else goes bust (unlikely since like free2bpowerles said BMWs are decently reliable) you would have a big bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was also thinking about one, but the cost of maintenance has scared me off.
What cost of maintenance, mine has been 0 in the past 1.5 years.
Old 9th May 2013, 13:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hi this thread has most information I am looking for ! I am looking to buy a used BMW X1 registered in 2012 May. Dealer has quoted me 28L for this Highline model. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a BSI 5 years/60K Kms plan, so that I will be covered for the next 4 years. Since prices now have gone up for the BSI plan, and since some of you have been using BMW X1 for a while. I am trying to figure out if its worth it to buy a BSI plan by loosing 1 year ? Please help me figure this out if any one of you can.

Thank you,
Naveen.
Woah! That's a very high price to pay for a used X1. The new X1 is not moving off the shelves at all. Add the fact that BMW has done miserably low numbers last quarter. You're going to get massive discounts on the new X1 soon! I suggest you wait or contact a few dealerships and see what they're offering.

As very intelligently calculated in the thread, the cost of ownership for a 2nd hand car is much higher. Your resale will be very low price considering you're already buying a 2nd hand vehicle.

If you're still buying the 2012 registered car, please go for the BSI 5 years. Take the cheapest plan available and they allow you to upgrade the plan anytime during the validity of the BSI.

also you're allowed to purchase the BSI only within the first service only. Keep that in mind.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 19:33   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Hey, Thanks for the response !!. My dad is really not interested taking the BSI, but wanted to make sure. Since you said you have been using BMW's for a while now, may i know how much was your average maintenance cost per annum. .

After using the X1 for almost two years now, I would suggest you take it , because if and if something goes wrong then you have had it big time, you would not exactly know how the previous owner has used the car and you would end up paying from your pocket. Probably the best thing I did when I bought the car is pay for the BSI. Over two years the service bill have maybe run to about 80 thousand including multiple brake pads and one set of brake discs.
It's simple your car is getting older, when you send it in for service they are going to say ... Part needs replacement. If under BSI no questions asked just replaced. Around 60,000 km you would need a major service please find out the cost for the same before its self if you decide not to go for the BSI.

Probably something's you want to consider
Rear seat is cramped no getting past that, the front seats make up for it.
Extensive use of unpainted black vinyl plastic on the bumpers require once in a month polishing.

Last edited by abishek2222 : 9th May 2013 at 19:39.
Old 9th May 2013, 23:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
After using the X1 for almost two years now, I would suggest you take it , because if and if something goes wrong then you have had it big time, you would not exactly know how the previous owner has used the car and you would end up paying from your pocket. Probably the best thing I did when I bought the car is pay for the BSI. Over two years the service bill have maybe run to about 80 thousand including multiple brake pads and one set of brake discs.
It's simple your car is getting older, when you send it in for service they are going to say ... Part needs replacement. If under BSI no questions asked just replaced. Around 60,000 km you would need a major service please find out the cost for the same before its self if you decide not to go for the BSI.

Extensive use of unpainted black vinyl plastic on the bumpers require once in a month polishing.
Thanks a lot for the response. Main reason for me to go with the BMW X1 is the luxury and milage. My dad says why not go for a new Fortuner, but my explanation was that, it has better milage than a Fortuner. Am i right? May I know what is the actual milage you are getting in the city and highway.
Old 10th May 2013, 05:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the response. Main reason for me to go with the BMW X1 is the luxury and milage. My dad says why not go for a new Fortuner, but my explanation was that, it has better milage than a Fortuner. Am i right? May I know what is the actual milage you are getting in the city and highway.
I may not be the right person to comment on the mileage because of me driving fast,you could ask others or search
I get 7-8 in the city highways the same , because on the highway the car is constantly on sports mode. Probably it would give you maybe 12-15 easily.both figure could be much better. I don't think this should be a criteria you should consider the power of the engine which is better. The fortunes has its very own advantages that the x1 cannot match simply. You could just pull up behind one on the highway when he is accelerating at top speed and easily and effortlessly just overtake.but let me give you can example you overtake but you reach a spot of traffic the fort can simply just run off road on the shoulder and just keep going without even hitting the brakes,but I don't think that's what your looking for here.you can look around at different ownership threads.
Old 10th May 2013, 15:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, Thanks for the response !!. My dad is really not interested taking the BSI, but wanted to make sure. Since you said you have been using BMW's for a while now, may i know how much was your average maintenance cost per annum. The X1 would be our second car, so it would be used very less.
Also you mentioned that 28L is a bit steep. I was about to ask that question in another thread. its only 11 months used and has 12k Kms on it, and a Highline model. I am still negotiating and asking 26L, do you think that is reasonable ? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Naveen.
I don't get bills for the cars on BSI but my old X3 cost me 1.50 +/- over a span of 3 years (34,000 kms) to service including brakes and suspension, at BMW.

26L is a very good offer, stick to it. Keep in mind, the facelift is out.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 18:14   #39
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
I own a fortuner and the X1.

X1 will give u better mileage on the highway by a minimum of 10%.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th May 2013, 23:24   #40

Hey Thanks all for your inputs ! I cut the deal for 25.50L inclusive broker fee ..

I am thinking thats a good deal .. Give me your honest opinion !

The car is 2012 BMW X1 Highline 14000Kms August 2012 registered.

I still have one day to decide .. so please give me your inputs !

Thank you,
Naveen.
Old 11th May 2013, 10:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

As bluebeem mentioned....don't rush...cars are dirt cheap used these days.. I.e we bought a 2012 March manufactured, June registered Mercedes E250 CDi Avantgarde run 5000 km in Diwali 2012 for 36.5 L including one year comprehensive insurance. I believe the Avantgarde was 55 lacs on road before discounts assuming it was 50 after discount ( was informed independently that new ones are at 4 to 5 lacs discount) that's still a drop of 13.5 L on 50L = 27%

Our cars was bought through shaman so the price includes their margin!!

People are still quoting 36.5L for 20111 E250 CDi's on carwale. Also X1 are available dime a dozen you don't really need a broker to source one and if so your broker needs to work on the price some more as this is a buyers market today

There is fair amount of room for discount here...get other stuff thrown in as well. My maths tells me that this car should be bought at 23.25L

I am assuming x1 high lines was 35 on road before discounts and assuming 9.09% discount on a new one ( going by my eg) = 31.85 X 27% discount = 23.25 lacs. My info on X1 high line prices are old perhaps though, I believe they were 41 at one point not sure what they are today so basing it on 35

Just checked highline is 32.5 on road Mumbai on gadi.com, so perhaps 23.25 may also be rich

Last edited by canonball : 11th May 2013 at 11:07.
Old 11th May 2013, 10:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey how much has your car run so far 60k plus or less thx
Old 11th May 2013, 17:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post

Hey how much has your car run so far 60k plus or less thx
25,000km is what it has run in two years.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
25,000km is what it has run in two years.
3 pads and a set of brake discs changed already!!, WOW that's unheard of. Are they giving you bills and the old parts back to you? Either they are giving some feel good info by just cleaning & adjusting or there is some defect for which they had to do repeated parts change or else someone else but the workshop is subsidising the plan you have bought with your car. I would be very concerned to know technically/from an engineering point why this happened
Old 12th May 2013, 12:07   #45
BHPian

I appreciate the perspective taken by smartcat however beg to differ on the following point.

First and foremost i think the depreciation would be a lot more than the 40% stated. Looking at the fact that 5 year old 5 series Beamers are on for sale at 20 odd lakhs is a testament to that fact.

This however still gives a bit of an introspect about how the used beamer selling for cheap is not really as good a deal as we thought at first go. I remember telling my friend about the maintenance costs which include such type of used luxury cars which helped him sway his decision to a new superb rather than a used 5 series.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks