Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Changed decision of buying a petrol car

hey all,

there are umpteen threads here discussing the petrol / diesel price hike. I want to start another one, which is very clearly focussed on people who have decided AGAINST buying a petrol car because of the price hike.

NO.1: yours truly.
I was very keen on buying the new alto k10, was very impressed with its nice small peppy engine and decent handling. But now because of the price hike, i am forced to buy a lpg / cng vehicle.

This thread will definitely tell us if people are willing / choosing alternate fuels over petrol because of the price hike.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Changed decision of buying a petrol car

The thread title is misleading, it should have been - changed decision of buying a petrol car.

I think we can also include comments from people who bought a petrol car in the last 1-2 years and are now regretting their decision.

I purchased my i10 in Jan 2009. At that time there was no word about the fuel prices getting deregularised. At that time, there was very slight difference in the price of Santro ECO GLS (LPG/petrol) and i10 ERA (petrol). Also the difference in running costs between LPG and petrol was very less at that time.

Even though I am very happy with my i10, every time the petrol prices are hiked, I look back and think that I should have chosen Santro ECO, or even the Indica diesel variant.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I think we can also include comments from people who bought a petrol car in the last 1-2 years and are now regretting their decision.
I purchased Ritz Vxi 6 months back only. And during all the time when the decision of which car to pick was being made, Figo TDCi was in my mind. And with every hike of petrol price, that decision making process haunts me.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:03   #4
BHPian

Kind of same story here...about 6 months back, I was struggling to decide between an i20 CRDi Asta (7.7 Lks OTR - no discounts) and City SMT (9.25 Lks OTR after discounts). Finally decided to go for the city since I was getting a car which was one class higher with better snob value, comfort and resale value. My monthly running was also not too much (less than 1000 km per month).

I'm not regretting the decision yet, but with every petrol price hike, I keep questioning myself if my decision was right, and I do the math once more to evaluate my losses :(
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:20   #5
BHPian

I am planning to buy a new car, although its still a bit early (in a year maybe). I had finalized on the Ritz Zxi for now, and was waiting for the Honda Brio, or Mitsubishi Colt(?). However, now I have decided to drop the decision of buying a petrol car altogether and go for a diesel (Chevy Beat or Figo).

My colleague just booked a Dzire Vdi on Saturday. A month back, diesel was not even an option for him.

Last edited by Gooney : 23rd May 2011 at 12:21.
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:52   #6
BHPian

I bought a petrol car in March this year.

I still don't regret the decision.

For one, my driving distance is very small. Three months down and I haven't even hit 2k kms. I struggle to get the odometer going. Primarily because I live and work in pretty much the same area, and I'm always migratory so I choose my house close to work. For a year and a half in Mumbai work was a 40-second walk away and my Opel almost disintegrated because of disuse and became a home for ants and lizards rather than me.

For another, the fuel bill is paid for by my company. It's another matter that savings in that bill would result in some savings on total salary costs and reflects in the bottomline (which I'm also responsible for as the office head) but I'll overlook that. People who have to drive from far away are in a more unfortunate position though.

I can understand people changing their decision after the recent hike (and another one coming up shortly), and if I was to choose again I guess I'd have a tougher time choosing. With a 75 price point stated for petrol, my consumption and expenses would be roughly equal.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:25   #7
BHPian

Hi Bhpians

I bought Honda Jazz just two months back. Though at present I do not regret my decision as the diesel cars (CNG not considered) available in that range were ford figo(Fully loaded), hyundai i20 (base model), maruti swift/ritz(without Airbags).
I was completely bowled over by the interiors and space provided by the Jazz. Though I would not say it is value for money but then I fell in love with car when I test drove it.
Other options in diesel were considered but were either lacking in airbags or features.
My daily running though at present is low but in NCR one cannot keep that for long. Now with petrol almost touching 65 and it will climb further I feel the heat but as bhpians say in his several posts that driving is one pleasure which forgoes other pains.
(Note : I am planning to buy Alto CNG in another year so that my daily commutes comes in Alto and long drives will be in Jazz)
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Interesting thread. A year back or so, i bought a petrol car as my running is too less, In fact in my one year + ownership i have driven just 4000 odd kms.

So I get to save about 3 K net vis a vis the diesel variant ( EMI). But the way the petrol prices are increasing, i am keeping a watchful eye over my decision.

I really hope they do something about this price hike.
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Interesting thread. I bought a civic A/T in 2009. If I had to make the same decision today I would have probably picked a Laura or Cruze A/T instead. The skyrocketing price of petrol combined with high end automatic mileage is really making me wish I was using a diesel car.

I'm at least 2-3 years away from an upgrade and even though it would probably be in the 20-30 L segment, I'd still be keen on a diesel (assuming current pricing policies prevail then).

I guess it just shows that decision making on this count is impacting across a fairly wide price range as well.
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:08   #10
BHPian

Other important aspect is what would be govt's approach towards large gap between diesel and petrol prices. some suggest that they will later increase diesel prices too. My gut feel is they will levy more tax on diesel cars. So then better to buy diesel before that happens!
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:18   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I purchased a Ritz Vxi last April and have been having trouble free run.I do feel the pinch when i go in for a tankful of petrol but then the car is returning a decent average in city as of now.I have more trouble when i take my santro for a tank fill,its giving me an average of just about 9kmpl!(Ritz gives me 12-13kmpl in same cycle).Now we are planning for a replacement for santro,but petrol small cars are out of option now.Looking at only diesel budget cars.Just wishing that in a few month's time,we have more of diesel cars in lower price range.
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Badguy> View Post
I bought Honda Jazz just two months back. Though at present I do not regret my decision as the diesel cars (CNG not considered) available in that range were ford figo(Fully loaded), hyundai i20 (base model), maruti swift/ritz(without Airbags).
I was completely bowled over by the interiors and space provided by the Jazz. Though I would not say it is value for money but then I fell in love with car when I test drove it.
Other options in diesel were considered but were either lacking in airbags or features.
As another Jazz owner, I could only smile while reading your post as I was nodding at almost every line!
I dont think the Jazzy experience is provided in another diesel car here, though I too feel the pinch when fueling up. The FE isnt bad at all, though I do use my bike more for smaller runs and when our son isnt going with us. I dont really know what my next car would be; it is at least 1.5 years away. I guess it depends on what pricing policy 'Sarkaar' adopts for diesel.
Till then, I should think that regardless of changes I only fill up for INR 2K at a time
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:35   #13
BHPian

I think the Govt should levy a yearly or biyearly tax on private diesel cars. It should be a substantial amount. Making it a one time tax would make the amount too high for the buyers to bear. Also, if it is a one time tax, all the lucky buggers who already bought a diesel car, would escape :P

It should be like the yearly insurance amount. This amount could vary based on the yearly diesel prices and amount of subsidy given. If diesel price is deregulated, this amount could come down.

This way, the govt could cut down on their losses due to selling subsidised diesel to private car owners. And in the process, discourage consumption of diesel by private car owners, while giving secret satisfaction to all the petrol car buyers like me who are staring in disbelief at the skyrocketing petrol prices
ar@v1nd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 14:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Civic AT last year. If I was to buy a car now, I would have gone for a Cruze or Laura DSG. With the current petrol costs, even a trip to BIAL airport and back costs about Rs700.
Old 23rd May 2011, 15:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just one question to all. I know it hurts when you fill the petrol with increased rates. When prices of everything is increasing, petrol is also going to increase. But this pain is due to fact that Diesel is not increasing? What if diesel has also gone up with Petrol? Your thinking would have been same or different? Just a thought

Most Viewed