Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do u hand or rest ur foot while releasing the clutch
hang my foot while releasing the clutch 38 46.91%
it will be always rested while releasing the clutch 43 53.09%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 11:44   #16
BHPian

Well I do keep my foot in the air when releasing the clutch but then it would b mighty difficult to press the pedal again if needed if I were to rest my heel on th e floor.
Old 30th January 2006, 14:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

I try to rest my foot in the footwell till I need to press the clutch again. For the brief while when I am releasing the clutch I keep my heels on the floor and use the toes. However I try to make it a point not to ride the clutch continuously. So it is not much of a problem for that brief while when I am releasing the clutch after a shift.

Remember, rather than crawling in the traffic on 3rd gear and continuously using the clutch it makes lot more sense to drive in 2nd gear. You do not even need the accelerator, just release the clutch and the engine's min rev will keep the car rolling till you are ready to move on to a higher gear and zoom past. It saves you from the frequent heel pain as well.
Old 30th January 2006, 14:37   #18
BHPian

I think a lot of it depends on the nature of the clutch in your car. The only other manual transmissions i have driven for significant distances, apart from the Corsa are a Honda Civic hatchback and an old Maruti Omni. We can safely leave out the Omni from all discussions

Both the Civic and the Corsa had solid clutches which means that you can rest your foot atop and still not depress them. Of course, it does not mean you can have your full weight on the clutch but resting on top of it is so much better than just hanging the foot in the air. Got to keep in mind that this driving style of mine has been developed because i had no dead pedal in any of my cars.

And if you adjust the seat back properly in relation to your body height, then i find that it is easier to place the tip of your boot or sandals on the clutch, while your heel is still on the mat - i think boot size 9 onwards can do this comfortably.
Old 30th January 2006, 16:18   #19
BHPian

Always used to keep the clutch semi pressed, i guess thats why the clutch plate needed to be changed often in my cars. Now though got used to keeping the foot on the foot rest provided on most cars next to the clutch..
Old 30th January 2006, 17:03   #20
Team-BHP Support

Size 10 here, which means I always keep my heel on the floor. Actually I had seen hanging foot drivers only on Ambassadors and Fiats in the 70s and 80s. Didn't know modern car drivers still hang them. Hmm, things you learn on T-BHP...
Old 30th January 2006, 19:47   #21
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Lol... thats where my size 13 shoes come in handy... heel always well rested on the floor and the base of my toes working the clutch!

I agree there.. large shoes make the life easier on the clutch

BTW, small shoes are easier for the gas peddle,

So.. 13 size shoes for the left foot and 9 size for the right... Sorry, Just a joke, pl. dont take this to heart
Old 12th May 2011, 13:38   #22
BHPian

Re: Do u hang or rest your foot

I keep my heel on the floor, and use my toes for the clutch.

BTW, I know of a lady friend who keeps a separate 'driving' shoe pair in the car. Reason? if you have high heels with very delicate material on the heels and you use the heel-toe style, your shoe heels (especially in high heels) get worn out/discoloured very soon. Therefore the more sensible, flat shoes for driving. PS: the valets would impatiently wait while she changes her shoes inside the car
Old 12th May 2011, 14:22   #23
BHPian

My way - Heel is always on the floor. There is a contact patch with floor always. Use my toes/front part of leg for depressing clutch. Then lift it. I haven't experienced any pain so far. Each person will find his own rythm but hanging it in the air is difficult
Old 12th May 2011, 14:34   #24
BHPian

In bumper to bumper traffic, my legs hang and on free road, resting on the side. It indeed creates pain when driving in the heavy traffic.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:36   #25
BHPian

Heel always on the floor for me.

Also, if you keep hanging your foot continuously, IMHO, you are not seated right. Either you have your seat pushed back a tad too much or your car's ergonomic design does not suit you.

I would recommend bolstering the under thigh support in cases where you can't avoid hanging your foot for whatever reasons. Helps reduce the strain on the left leg.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:38   #26
BHPian

If the traffic flows free, i used to rest my foot immediately after changing the gear. However in the traffic and in lower gears (1st and 2nd gear), i used to keep half hanging and half in clutch (very light touch).
Old 12th May 2011, 14:55   #27
BHPian

In highways and clear stretches in cities, my foot would be resting fully on the floor. Otherwise my toes would be hanging over the clutch. Heel most likely would be in touch with the floor.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Even in city traffic I take my foot off after changing the gears. I use heel and toe during the clutch action. It depends on the car on how comfortable it can be.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Call it 'heel and toe'.My heels on the floor and my toe works the clutch.
Same is the case for me! It is always 'heel and toe'!
Old 12th May 2011, 15:03   #30
BANNED

The poll is confusing, since the second option also seems to cover those who rest their foot on the clutch pedal (most unacceptable). I am voting rest assuming that the foot is parked on the dead pedal or on the floor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks