Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 22:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Although I agree that this car has no handling characteristics above 100kmph. Have seen plenty of accidents where the driver have said that the car suddenly became uncontrollable on a slight turn above 100kmph or felt like a boat.
Which other SUV in this price bracket would you recommend that would have much better handling characteristics than this one above 100kmph and also offer predictable brake behaviour?

Before someone points at Innova, it is not a SUV and neither pretends to be one.

In anycase, I guess, the purpose of this variant is to target the rural markets. There the scorpio is seen as a premium offering to the Bolero and with the reduced price gap, it would certainly appeal. Besides this there would obviously be the taxi market, where the Scorpio actually demands higher hiring charges than the Bolero/Sumo.
Old 27th May 2011, 10:09   #32
BHPian

Just talked with a Mahindra dealer in pune.
As per him EX is nothing but a upgraded version of M2DI Scorpio.

i have some general query.

-- which one is more value for money between Scorpio EX and LX ?

-- which version has better Road stability ( LX or EX ) ?

-- Is EX good enough for 1500 KM long drive with 5 adults / luggage on board ?

-- which version have better suspension setup ( LX or EX ) ?

-- Can we upgrade the tyre of EX as LX ?

-- Do M2DI / EX struggle for engine power when AC is ON ?
Old 27th May 2011, 14:35   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Which other SUV in this price bracket would you recommend that would have much better handling characteristics than this one above 100kmph and also offer predictable brake behaviour?
So you agree the handling is bad and we don't have an option but to live with it as it is cheaper to buy? Then the much better engineered "SUVs" (I don't get this term no one knows for sure what it means) but cost double of it?

The Scorpio with leafs. rear coils and what not has the handling of a boat.

Whatever they have tried it gives you goose bumps on any speed above 100 kmph if it is not going straight.

When the more powerful engined one was launched I had this squirmy feeling What? Same platform, same dimensions + powerful engine == more moving sickness.

I agree it can go upto 140 kmph+. But remember we are on Indian Roads. One goat leaps out of that median and you react brake or turn the wheel even a bit. You are saying bye-bye to the world. The Scorpio at 100+ will topple even at a small provocation.

PS: Before someone asks. Yes I have driven one extensively.

Last edited by Spitfire : 27th May 2011 at 14:39.
Old 27th May 2011, 17:47   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
-- which one is more value for money between Scorpio EX and LX ?
Definitely the Ex if you are ok with the lesser power, smaller wheels and a lower torque output.

Quote:
-- which version has better Road stability ( LX or EX ) ?
It would be the LX due to a lighter engine and bigger tires.
Quote:
-- Is EX good enough for 1500 KM long drive with 5 adults / luggage on board ?
Yes, if you don't mind the lesser grunt on the highways.
Quote:
-- which version have better suspension setup ( LX or EX ) ?
Though both are identical, the LX would feel better due to bigger wheels and a lighter engine.
Quote:
-- Can we upgrade the tyre of EX as LX ?
Should be possible but could have other effects.

Quote:
-- Do M2DI / EX struggle for engine power when AC is ON ?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 17:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Definitely the Ex if you are ok with the lesser power, smaller wheels and a lower torque output.

It would be the LX due to a lighter engine and bigger tires.
Yes, if you don't mind the lesser grunt on the highways.
Though both are identical, the LX would feel better due to bigger wheels and a lighter engine.
Should be possible but could have other effects.
Thanks N.Devnath ..

Its almost 1.5 lac price difference between EX and LX.
Still i feel LX is worth that amount of money.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Whatever they have tried it gives you goose bumps on any speed above 100 kmph if it is not going straight.

I agree it can go upto 140 kmph+. But remember we are on Indian Roads. One goat leaps out of that median and you react brake or turn the wheel even a bit. You are saying bye-bye to the world. The Scorpio at 100+ will topple even at a small provocation.
This sounds worse than it really is.

So far mine hasn't toppled and it has done fair bit of goat saving (okay not exactly Goats, they looked similar in form and dimension and they wagged their tail in happiness as the scorp saved them) on the highways. Have braked hard from 120, swerved and its still alive and has never given a nervous moment till now.
Old 27th May 2011, 23:56   #37
AWD
BHPian

For a real/fair picture of how good/bad the driving dynamics of a Scorpio are, one has to have a fair bit of experience driving other cars, right from modern Hatchback to cutting edge sedans & modern MUV/SUV's. A comparative analysis will make things easy to understand & comprehend.

Driving at a speed is alright but one has to see how much feedback one receives & how much confidence is inspired.
Old 28th May 2011, 09:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
So far mine hasn't toppled and it has done fair bit of goat saving (okay not exactly Goats, they looked similar in form and dimension and they wagged their tail in happiness as the scorp saved them) on the highways. Have braked hard from 120, swerved and its still alive and has never given a nervous moment till now.
Take it easy my friend , most of the talk comes from hearsay and not from actual owners. Get the drift ? Been there and done that with my scorp' too. Worst case I would care less to stop at those speeds, if that so called "goat" comes my way.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

My scorpio(mHawk) definitely has predictable braking efficiency at 130+ speeds. I have used the hard braking efficiency with ABS a few times and I can for sure say that the multi link suspension Scorpio's are a different breed at higher speeds. They do not have the rear tail off and stop in a straight line(if your car's alignment and tyres are well maintained).

Kindly do not compare any car with an SUV, apples to apples please!
Old 28th May 2011, 12:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
For a real/fair picture of how good/bad the driving dynamics of a Scorpio are, one has to have a fair bit of experience driving other cars, right from modern Hatchback to cutting edge sedans & modern MUV/SUV's. A comparative analysis will make things easy to understand & comprehend.

Driving at a speed is alright but one has to see how much feedback one receives & how much confidence is inspired.

For the records one of the other cars that I usually drive around is an Ikon 1.6. If one checks the feedback/handling thread, that cars easily comes out most frequently on it. Few folks in the Team Bhp kolkata chapter will also tell you that I know how to use it.

However as the quoted test below rightly points out - I dont expect my Scorpio to be as capable at high speeds as my Ikon. Their intended purpose and capabilities are different.

I also grew up amongst Nissan Patrols and they would also loose out to corresponding cars of the era in terms of handling/feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Kindly do not compare any car with an SUV, apples to apples please!
Bingo - couldn't agree more.
Old 28th May 2011, 13:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

On Topic: Has anyone seen the EX yet? Is it the same as the LX (I've read in the posts above that it has smaller tyres.) Any pictures?
Old 28th May 2011, 14:56   #42
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Hmm...so this one has AC and hardtop now all we need to do is crib about a 4x4 gearbox
Old 29th May 2011, 04:14   #43
Team-BHP Support

My brief TD experience on the Scorpio EX at this link :

Link
Old 29th May 2011, 13:12   #44
BANNED

Nice review benny. I saw the EX too today. Its exactly the same trim as the M2Di. The only thing different is the engine.

OT: Hilarious discussion above. Since when did one need to pay money and own a vehicle to understand the handling characteristics. Isn't driving one for a good range of kilometers enough?

Continue discussion in the review thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html

Thread Closed

Last edited by Stratos : 1st June 2011 at 20:52.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks