Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2011, 17:19   #1
BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio EX

News from Motoroids:
Mahindra introduces Scorpio EX: The new entry level variant

First I thought M&M is lowering Scorpio prices in anticipation of creating a market for the W201. But this is just another instance of too-good-to-be-true. An Mhawk with basic features would be just great. But this is an
"M2DICR" engine. Seems like they've borrowed the M2DI, put in a Genio-spec engine (also 75 bhp) and call it Scorpio EX for the mileage market.
Smart guys, they always know what the market will buy (not necessarily what it wants) and they give it to the market. So have to give it to them .

Jokes apart, this has a market as well. But will some tbhpian review this variant? I did not see any news on "official" channels or the M&M website. Motoroids is an informal grapevine thing, and besides, there's nothing substantial on the features other than the engine. My guess is it will be M2DI-specced on the inside and otherwise. Will be glad to be pleasantly surprised.
Have to wait and watch for more news on this one. Anyone knows? Please add..

Review added here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pressions.html

Last edited by Stratos : 1st June 2011 at 20:51.
rpmx1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2011, 17:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio EX

This was launched about 2-3 yrs ago and not many were seen on the road and am not sure if it is still manufactured.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:38   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
This was launched about 2-3 yrs ago and not many were seen on the road and am not sure if it is still manufactured.
That was a DI engine but this one has a CRDI engine , the one which comes in Bolero Storm. I hope it will attract a lot more customers than the M2DI version. May be the Taxi wala's will be more interested in this model.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
2500: That was M2DI. This is different, this is today's news. Just looking for more news on the specs.
Old 24th May 2011, 23:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

It was indeed launched today. My friend who runs a Mahindra sales outlet had gone to Bombay for unveiling. I believe it was unveiled at Mahindra Towers.

Is Xylo D2's engine being brought into duty & what made Mahindra dump the so successful M2Di?
Old 24th May 2011, 23:48   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
It was indeed launched today. My friend who runs a Mahindra sales outlet had gone to Bombay for unveiling. I believe it was unveiled at Mahindra Towers.

Is Xylo D2's engine being brought into duty & what made Mahindra dump the so successful M2Di?
It looks like more of an engine upgrade rather than an engine dump right? M2DI always struggled to pull that mammogth 2 tonner. 200nm should be of big help here. Although 75hp is a bummer. FE is mouthwatering 14kmpl, if it true to some extent in real life, then, we will be seeing some more Scorpios.

Scorpio's dash, omg...it needs a change, not the engines any more, we never had complaints about the Scorpio engines! Is not that funny, that M&M never does anything to improve on the interior, but just keeps on refining their engine line up... 2.6, CRDE, 2.2, M2DI,M2CRDI...but none of them can be called slouch!
Old 24th May 2011, 23:58   #7
AWD
BHPian

This is a wise addition to the Scorpio lineup. Features & Power will clear the picture. I expect a minimum of 90bhp for this giant.

Is the Micro-Hybrid system going into this? Heard it switches off the A.C. when idle.
Old 25th May 2011, 01:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

This was bound to happen. Scorpio M2DI was targeted at the Taxi and cost conscious segment but the biggest issue was it was only BS-II and later on upgraded to BS-III (IIRC). It was the same engine that used to do duty on the Bolero DI Turbo, the MDI3200TC engine with slight tweak to make it 70HP. With BS-III/BS-IV standards in place almost across the country the MDI3200TC engine was not upgraded. Rather mDiCRDe engine was developed churning out 75HP and was first put in Xylo D2 and is now being put in the Scorpio EX. As a matter of fact its the same engine which will be powering upcoming Bolero Refresh.

Cheers
Old 25th May 2011, 06:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

ACI reports:

2.5 litre m2DiCR engine with 75bhp power and 220NM torque.

Equipped with the fuel-saving Micro Hybrid technology.

Mileage of 14kmpl as per ARAI.

0 to 60 kmph in 11.2 seconds.

Available in four colors: Diamond White, Mist Silver, Fiery Black and Rocky Beige.

Rs.7.21 lakhs (ex-showroom Pune, for BSIV).

Source: Autocar
Old 25th May 2011, 06:55   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

this is a good move but I wish they had offered safety features and 4WD at least as optional extras. would be nice if they did this across all variants - with a built in waiting period + price upcharge. we really need ABS and Airbags etc with the speeds we are driving at these days on highways. and many of us would certainly opt for a 4WD option in the base variants since we are not interested in some of the silly electronics which are there in the top end variants.
Old 25th May 2011, 09:10   #11
AWD
BHPian

Balan ji, while I would 100% agree on offering ABS & 4wd, not so keen on Airbags on Scorpio because first the body has to made crash worthy for Airbags to have the desired impact. Hope MM takes Scorpio through various crash tests & designs the body/chassis accordingly.

BTW, how are the 0-100 figures of this M2Dicr engine & whats the price difference between Scorpio Lx(base model 2.2Mhawk) & this one?
Old 25th May 2011, 11:35   #12
Team-BHP Support

No news about this on their website. What would be the features on this variant? Would it be equivalent to an LX with a different engine, or stripped down even more?
Old 25th May 2011, 11:54   #13
BHPian

This is definitely not Xylo D2 tune. Xylo D2 is a 95 bhp model. This is the Genio-level Tune (75 bhp).

Yet to see the spec levels but I doubt they would outdo the LX which comes with mHawk. Xylo D2 now suddenly looks awesome value for money (flat bed front seats, three-row AC included)

Mileage is suspect. 14 Kmpl ARAI means real-life 10-11 kmpl. All Mahindra engines , mHawk, mEagle, mDi give 10-11 anyways. Not sure I see a big deal here. Have to catch hold of genio-drivers and ask them how much these trucks give on an average. Subtract 1-2 kmpl from that (Genio is lighter unloaded) and you should get the right figure. I expect 12 kmpl real-world figures.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
This is a wise addition to the Scorpio lineup. Features & Power will clear the picture. I expect a minimum of 90bhp for this giant.

Is the Micro-Hybrid system going into this? Heard it switches off the A.C. when idle.
@ AWD- yes Micro hybrid is definitely going into this. Please refer to the news link below:

Mahindra launches Entry-Level Scorpio EX Model
Old 25th May 2011, 13:52   #15
BHPian

I was at the dealership for a Bolero and they refused to even give me a TD.They said the EX is way better and i should wait! Is it better than the bolero vlx?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed