Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 18:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW's suffer from poor reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
This is how people's perceptions build..nothing wrong in it.
What in your opinion makes the car manufacturer unreliable?
There should be a trend of unreliability .. anyways I think the debate has become a bit stretched now , time will surely bring it out the reliability / unreliability of any car manufacturer
Old 27th May 2011, 18:49   #77
BHPian

IMHO - we don't have exact data on how many vw cars faced what problem compared to total number of cars sold , right now vw is put under a microscope as there are just too many critiques around, don't we see Honda maruti tata service centers full of cars? All those cars have some or the other issue and hencd they landed up there (apart from just servicing) so how can I equate and brand a company unreliable? Since it's a brand we expect it to work 100% of the times... Just like we expect Sachin tendulkar to score century every time, but if lesser batsmen fail that's not spoken much about.

I spoke to at least 10 polo vento jetta owners and they were really happy , not on tbhp, but do they care to write good things online? NO, so my perception would be that these Re the best cars...if I read threads like this, targeting just a company, I feel it's unfair.

So again, till we have data it's not fair to comment just looking around for rumors
Old 27th May 2011, 18:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Hillarious. Check this thread for more such comments, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-friends.html

Does VW provide extended warranty on the Vento now? If yes, I want my friend (owns a Vento TDi) to get one the day it's announced!

If no, why? VW loyalists can throw some light.
Extended warranty is already on .. check the link out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...eview-131.html . Your friend should speak to a VW dealer .
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2011, 05:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
IMHO - we don't have exact data on how many vw cars faced what problem compared to total number of cars sold , right now vw is put under a microscope as there are just too many critiques around, don't we see Honda maruti tata service centers full of cars? All those cars have some or the other issue and hencd they landed up there (apart from just servicing) so how can I equate and brand a company unreliable? Since it's a brand we expect it to work 100% of the times... Just like we expect Sachin tendulkar to score century every time, but if lesser batsmen fail that's not spoken much about.

I spoke to at least 10 polo vento jetta owners and they were really happy , not on tbhp, but do they care to write good things online? NO, so my perception would be that these Re the best cars...if I read threads like this, targeting just a company, I feel it's unfair.

So again, till we have data it's not fair to comment just looking around for rumors
Rumors? Are you sure about that?

Because whether or not there are many cases that you have come across, I have come across a lot. And these cases are not ordinary in nature. If you are going to defend the company by saying lets say the 10 people I assume you are claiming to speak with are saying they have absolutely no problem what so ever, what if one of them faces a flywheel failure. Or worse the entire cylinder head be replaced? Which if you are regular on the forum you might have already read that such cases have been noted. EGR Cooler failures multiple times, Flywheel jamming, gearbox breaking, handbrakes stuck like glue leaving the car stationary. Stone getting stuck in the disc callipers. Maybe these are not numbers are they? Just rumors.

The company in question is responsible for the breakdowns, in almost all the cases that I have reviewed myself. Does it look like I want to diss the company? Look at my ownership thread. It is a very testament that I bought this car out of sheer love. I have not once said that I have been cheated, no. That is because cheating would require for the entire PR to stop responding to my queries completely. And so far all I am getting is late responses which is good because my car is running fine now!

Who is targeting a company?
Or are we being targeted by them?
Nobody realized that VW would be such a pain in the A.S.S. (After sales service ) But they are, and I don't think anything is being done about that? The problems I have come across have either been proven a manufacturer defect or the cause has been kept a secret.

You talk about Maruti? I have owned a Swift VDi and guess what, the company asked me to replace the EGR cooler valve "before" it could break down avoiding any silly complications. I had no problem doing so even without warranty. If it rids me from going to places in a rickshaw, I'm willing to take their word for it . And the workshop people are a breeze to deal with. VW likes to shove you off their desks like cockroaches when asked for the cause of the issue. Note that only the second time did I get a receipt for the spare they had replaced. Until the first time I was denied anything related to the problem or any reports what so ever. OT I bought a brand new LED screen and a Xbox. The screen was defected and the Xbox controller stopped functioning within a month. Did I blame Acer and Microsoft on some tech forum? No, because I got an immediate response from their customer care minutes after filing a complaint and replacements for each of them. This is what I am talking about.

Volkswagen lacks the basic etiquette that these people have gained through experience, and that my friend is not at all the customers fault.

So when you point out that there are no "Statistics" to show that there might be some serious issues with their car, think again. Do the statistics show how much good or bad the staff is being to you? Does it show you the difference between a response from the workshop and a mere smile stating that you will be back soon. I'm sure such stats do not exist.

New cars can have issues, and nobody targets the company for a defected part, giving the part be replaced without any hassles. But that is exactly what is wrong here. My only query was that at least they would tell me whats wrong with the part? What is the cause of all this? Nothing

So my point being, if they would have behaved a little more sensibly, I wouldn't be so pissed.

If Sachin goes out for zero he has nothing to lose nor does the country. He has proven his grounds. What happens when an ordinary guy is stranded in the middle of nowhere with a broken gearbox? Lift kaun Sachin dega?

Trust me its a lot easier knowing the path than walking it.

Last edited by bblost : 4th June 2011 at 06:31. Reason: Extra smiley removed. Thanks.
anubhavarya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 10:41   #80
BHPian

Bumping an old thread here, I am looking to replace my WagonR with a new small car. Budget is around 6.5 and we have been considering the Polo 1.2. Is the QC still the same? Are the problems mentioned above still present? We plan to keep the car for long as our running is less[13 year old WagonR and 65k].
I am aware of the more expensive parts list but need to know about the durability or reliability.
Old 20th December 2014, 11:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

@Doge,

For a trouble free life look at a toyota or a honda. Not kidding, they are just built to last for ever with no complex systems and sensors to take care of millions of small changes.

Any german car you are buying with a hope it doesnt take you for a "ride" ironically

I now drive an Accord and i have Jetta back in India. I can tell you for sure the honda will never be my car though there is always a minor lack of peace of mind with a german car. The honda is great but there is a difference in the way the german car rode for me all these yeas that accord feels cheap to me. No offence i got this purely for reliability.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2014, 11:24   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Bumping an old thread here, I am looking to replace my WagonR with a new small car. Budget is around 6.5 and we have been considering the Polo 1.2. Is the QC still the same? Are the problems mentioned above still present? We plan to keep the car for long as our running is less[13 year old WagonR and 65k].
I am aware of the more expensive parts list but need to know about the durability or reliability.

Look for something else is what I would suggest. Car will come warranty but peace of mind.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 15:15   #83
BHPian

Thanks a lot, I have dropped the idea of the Polo and will look at the Punto and Elite instead. We were about to book a 1.5 Comfort line but I am glad we didn't.
Old 24th December 2014, 22:17   #84
BHPian

Punto???!!! Fiat is in dire straits with no clarity on their future in India.
They seem to be very happy selling their multi jet engines to all and sundry.
VW is any day better placed for the long term in India.
I am a proud owner of a polo 1.2 petrol for the past 4 years
Chances of Fiat winding up considering the way they are performing are more likely
The Elite i20 is a worthy option as well as the Xcent if u wish to go Hyundai
They are expensive on the servicing front remember that
No one can beat Maruti on the lowest cost of ownership and reliability as well
Detroit-Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 08:30   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I have dropped the idea of the Polo and will look at the Punto and Elite instead. We were about to book a 1.5 Comfort line but I am glad we didn't.

Elite i20 is a good but in this segment though it suffers from not being a "driver's car". But just one point- most of the posts on this thread are from 2011 so please don't base your decision on those. My Vento turns 4 next month and apart from one HVAC replacement (under warranty) it has been a smooth ride. Read up some of the Polo/Vento ownership reviews on the forum before eliminating it completely from your list.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 09:03   #86
BHPian

I would like to echo the last couple of posts here. My Vento 1.6TDI has completed 4 years without much hassles and my experience with VW Palace cross service center, Bangalore has been quite good too.

Recently I'm contemplating to go in for an automatic and if proceed - It'll be a Vento or Polo TSI DSG.
ventoman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2014, 09:30   #87
BANNED

Quote:
I'd say if the choices are Punto v/s Polo v/s Elite i20 then it is between Polo and Elite i20.

I wouldn't look at Punto looking at Fiat and their working strategy plus market condition. No offence to Punto owners and Fiat fans.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 04:09   #88
BHPian

Reviving an old thread, I am looking for a new car. Budget is around 13 Lakhs and we have been considering VW Vento 1.5 TDI. Have they changed anything in their quality control and after sales service? I drove the Vento found it to be well built but what scares me is their after sales service and reliability.
My cousin and my neighbour both drive Polo & Jetta respectively. My neighbour did not recommend me as he was fed up of its high maintenance and suggested me to go with Honda or Toyota, whereas my cousin recommended to go ahead with the VW as their service costs have reduced and majority are Made-in-India parts.
Now I’m confused whether to go ahead with Vento or consider Honda City?

P.S: Reliability and Build Quality are two of the crucial factors to be considered.
Old 8th February 2017, 07:59   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

P.S: Reliability and Build Quality are two of the crucial factors to be considered.
Build quality -

1. Europeans.
2. Japanese.

Reliability -

1. Japanese.
2. Indians.
3. Europeans.

The above is a general perception and there are some more permutations and combinations to read.

With 13 lakhs in pocket, the best bet is to buy a Fiat Linea T-Jet / diesel. It is a solidly built car, with Japanese reliability and backed up by India like after sales service.

If you consider buying a Japanese car, go for a Toyota instead of Honda.
Old 8th February 2017, 08:33   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Reviving an old thread, I am looking for a new car. Budget is around 13 Lakhs and we have been considering VW Vento 1.5 TDI. Have they changed anything in their quality control and after sales service? I drove the Vento found it to be well built but what scares me is their after sales service and reliability.

My cousin and my neighbour both drive Polo & Jetta respectively. My neighbour did not recommend me as he was fed up of its high maintenance and suggested me to go with Honda or Toyota, whereas my cousin recommended to go ahead with the VW as their service costs have reduced and majority are Made-in-India parts.

Anytime I would blindly go in for VW. I can't assure you on reliability because it all depends on how you maintain the car. Build quality is top notch and not like Honda and Toyota.
nidhinsarath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed