Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2012, 15:05   #256
gemi_kk

Re: 8 New Honda models in 3 years

IF the Honda's I-DTEC engine is once tried and tested by some of our cabs then that would iteself add lot of value to the brand. I know, there are very few Honda cabs in india run by hotels.

This is how Mahindra's Logan entered the game unexpectedly in passinger cars. I know, this is not the correct way of testing. but, yes, this could give lot of confidence to the Manufacturer regarding the engines reliability.

Regarding the list of launches, by the time they launch, the cost of diesel might meet the cost of petrol

I wish honda very success as they had with city, with these new diesel engines too. Waiting for their first Diesel car launch.

Old 5th November 2012, 15:14   #257
Senior - BHPian

Good moves by Honda. City's run has been an amazing one even with the diesel handicap. I hope though that the diesel mills will be in the forefront on power and torque figures and not try to win just the FE numbers.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:56   #258
BHPian

Honda finally waking up to the reality in India and aligning its business and portfolio accordingly. They're about 3-4 years too late in the game, considering they've always had the technology - but as the adage goes, 'better late than never'. They will have some serious catching up to do however.

Nevertheless the 1.5L is a sweet mill and has serious potential. Hope Honda tunes it for adequate power like it does in most other markets - one of the reasons for which the powerplant is known and has earned so much acclaim.
Old 5th November 2012, 16:27   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Some insider info.

- Brio sedan a definite for April/May 2013. Both versions (P&D) on offer.

- Brio diesel to arrive by October 2013. Should be plonked in the Brio facelift.

- City diesel chalked for January 2014. Might be the next-gen City.

- Civic diesel to follow shortly after. Expected by mid/late-2014. Might be the next-gen Civic.

- The diesel engine powering these cars will be indigenous, heavily localised and a world-first, India-specific diesel mill.

- Jazz might be phased out. Next-gen Jazz might not come to India.

- Brio sedan to occupy Jazz's slot in Honda's lineup.

- Jazz/City-based MPV to arrive by 2015. It should be priced about a lakh more than the City.

- No confirmation on the Brio-based MPV yet. If it is under consideration, don't expect it to hit Indian roads anytime before 2015/16.

More info as I get them.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th November 2012 at 16:28.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 20:52   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

I think they have got the strategy right this time. Phasing out Jazz (if) is a bad news, but then there is no way they can sensibly place it I guess. I would have rather had product overlapping this way Brio>> Jazz>> Brio Sedan>> City allowing cross shopping. When they have the same block (diesel) powering these cars and with heavy localization, might not have been a problem.

And the real bad news is the CRV not getting the diesel engine. Bad move. The new CRV is a super hit in the middle east and a diesel on it would have given a good hand. But probably Honda has too much in their plate for the next 3 years.
Old 5th November 2012, 23:40   #261
BHPian

There is also a crossover based on the City/Jazz platform on the cards. I guess that's the MPV mentioned. The articles also mentions the Jazz remains.

Honda has reliability and excellent interior space setup on their side. Their cars are always airy, and the diesels will help make them a serious player again.

Of course given the long timelines and the increasing unrest with the diesel subsidy it could be too late. Timing is everything.
Old 6th November 2012, 00:15   #262
BHPian

Honda has announced a 1.6L Diesel Engine for Europe, to be built in the UK.

Quote:
'
Honda has announced the specifications for its eagerly anticipated small diesel engine which is set to make its debut in the Honda Civic small family hatch. The new 1.6-litre unit will be very clean and efficient, yet still return decent performance figures. This is the first engine to be released in Europe under Honda’s Earth Dreams Technology environmental programme.

The engine will make its debut in the Honda Civic from early next year but it is also expected to appear in the CR-V 4×4 from later on in 2013. The new engine has been developed exclusively for the European market and has been tested on roads across the continent. Despite its parsimonious fuel use and impressive CO2 emissions, the engine will still put out 118bhp and 221lb/ft of torque
' - Source: Autotrader, UK
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles...or-honda-civic

Will this come to us in India soon?

EDIT: 1. Suggest changing the title of thread to include 'Honda's Diesel Civic, CRV, Brio plans'. Almost missed the thread when I was searching whether to start a new thread or post in an existing thread - until I searched for i-dtec.

2. The UK civic (which admittedly is smaller than the Indian spec) will give 78.5 miles / gallon, which is an incredible 33.4 kmpl. Indian mileage figures will probable be lower - but even a mileage of 25 will be a complete game changer in that segment.

Last edited by torquing_points : 6th November 2012 at 00:24. Reason: mentioned in post.
torquing_points is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 18:57   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Birdie tweeting.

- Honda's Takapura factory will be operational from January 2013 onwards. Production of diesels to commence shortly after that. Expect to see Amaze mules being tested on Indian roads in Feb/Mar 2013.

- Amaze launch might be pushed to June 2013. Simultaneous launch still being mulled, but don't count out diesel launch first. Honda aiming for 90% localisation to make pricing competitive.

- Brio diesel launch might be pushed ahead to the first quarter of 2014. Will be second Honda diesel offering for India.

- City diesel launch might be pushed to third quarter of 2014, will be next-gen.

- The 1.5 i-DTEC* powering the Amaze is heavily localised and India-specific.

- Jazz will continue to be sold alongside Amaze D. No news regarding it's future yet.

- New CR-V to be launched by Feb-Mar 2013. Will be the last Honda launch this financial year before they wholly concentrate on the Amaze.

- Jazz-based MPV's plans still under wraps. Don't expect it anytime before 2015 though.

- Honda R&D team mulling a Brio-platform based MPV as well. Concepts have started, detailing to start from next year.

* - nomenclature still not finalised

More as I receive them.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:25   #264
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Any news at to when would the other diesels from Honda would start appearing? My guess is when the next model would be due. The CR-V (new) is debuted Internationally. A diesel CR-V is the only Car which might dent Fortuner's sales.

Any idea about the launch dates?

EDIT: Hope by launching diesels, Honda would be sensible with its pricing & not get carried away & secondly, keeps launching naturally aspirated petrol for us enthusiasts as well.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd December 2012 at 09:28.
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:40   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Any news at to when would the other diesels from Honda would start appearing? My guess is when the next model would be due. The CR-V (new) is debuted Internationally. A diesel CR-V is the only Car which might dent Fortuner's sales.

Any idea about the launch dates?
Next diesel will be Brio (late 2013), then next Gen City in 2014 & may be Civic after that. The new CR-V is already on sale abroad (and a HIT in the middle east), will make it to India in late 2013 / early 2014 and will NOT have a diesel plant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
EDIT: Hope by launching diesels, Honda would be sensible with its pricing & not get carried away & secondly, keeps launching naturally aspirated petrol for us enthusiasts as well.
That should not take a hit as Honda always makes petrol engines for global markets and India is one of the few markets for diesels. Their focus should be on the bigger & wider markets.

************************************************** **********************************
Does anyone know how was the 1.5L derived from the 1.6L? How much cost savings on the 1.5 compared to 1.6?

What I expect is 1.5L for Brio / Amaze, 1.6L FGT for City, 1.6L VGT for Civic. This should ensure product differentiation (by means of power) in these segments.

Slightly OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinfreak
...By the way even 1.5 dCi from Renault is available in multiple power outputs from 75 hp in Micra...
68 bhp, not 75 :-)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd December 2012 at 10:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:18   #266
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Amaze 1.5L Diesel : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The new CR-V is already on sale abroad (and a HIT in the middle east), will make it to India in late 2013 / early 2014 and will NOT have a diesel plant!
If this is true (Has Honda gone Official about this?) I would be disheartened. I was really looking forward to CR-V in diesel guise.

I really hope it isn't OT as this thread is for Amaze. And swiftnfurious, maybe we can discuss the rest here
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:27   #267
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
If this is true (Has Honda gone Official about this?) I would be disheartened. I was really looking forward to CR-V in diesel guise.
I am not surprised. And even if they get a diesel CR-V, the positioning w.r.t to price will be extremely difficult. The current petrol CR-V costs close to 25 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, and with diesel it will get into the X1, Q3 territory. I don’t see any USP there for the Honda.

And then there is the wonderful Yeti, which is already priced much lower than the Petrol CR-V.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:34   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am not surprised. And even if they get a diesel CR-V, the positioning w.r.t to price will be extremely difficult. The current petrol CR-V costs close to 25 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, and with diesel it will get into the X1, Q3 territory. I don’t see any USP there for the Honda.

And then there is the wonderful Yeti, which is already priced much lower than the Petrol CR-V.
X1 & Q3 appear as large hatches & I believe the service would be expensive wrt to a Honda. Correct me if I am wrong though.

I do drive the Yeti frequently & yes, it is a brilliant vehicle, but no harm in trying other options

It would be futile for Honda to launch such a big, heavy vehicle in India (skewed towards diesel) w/o a diesel engine.

Lets see how the market develops.
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:45   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I am not surprised. And even if they get a diesel CR-V, the positioning w.r.t to price will be extremely difficult. The current petrol CR-V costs close to 25 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi, and with diesel it will get into the X1, Q3 territory. I don't see any USP there for the Honda..
Ideally they should concentrate on getting the CR-V as a CKD from current CBU status. This will help them position diesel better. Also as far as I understand, CRV has a 2.2L diesel variant sold in europe alone. They might have problems with Indian low quality fuel. We might have to wait till they derive a 2.0L Earth Dreaams diesel for India.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:20   #270
BHPian

Does any one has any information about the Honda Accord coming in their new 2.2.L diesel engine? I saw it mentioned in the initial write-up of the Amaze preview but no one seems to be confirming the it. Any inputs and views will be of great help as I'm in the market for a car change early next year and the Honda Accord Diesel will definitely be a must wait opportunity as I'm already a happy ANHC owner since 3 years. Any inputs on it will be greatly helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks