Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:35   #316
Team-BHP Support

Earlier the Civic and now the Jazz. Effectively, Honda will be concentrating on Asia specific models in India (City, Brio and Amaze), along with the low volume big brothers - Accord and the CRV.
Old 22nd February 2013, 21:42   #317
BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

I am a bit vary with the Japanese in the 'Made in India, for India" type cars. Take the Etios family from big T. Either the features list is made so basic to get their level of Q for the Indian Price tag or the design is basic to suit the price. The City is a bit different, but I am not hoping for much with the Amaze, how ever Honda has been a bit different in their approach in the lower segment market (with the Brio). However, if you have the Dezire in mind as you competition its going to a very tough one to crack. The value proposition from the dezire is very tough to beat. With the civic gone and the Jazz following, Honda should not be another FIAT with just hand countable models (however well they might sell).
man_and_machine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:43   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I stand corrected - Amaze's petrol range might come in at 4.99L (ex-showroom, Delhi).
Amaze diesel might start from 6.29L onwards.
Variants will be same as Brio - E, S & V. No AT planned for now.

I am told that Honda is also mulling a diesel AT for the Amaze in the near future. No immediate plans for that though - the Brio-based MPV is next on the fast-track launch agenda, listed for 2014.
Thats really bad news on no AT variant being offered. I wonder how many would buy a 1.2 manual petrol car. Hope the diesel sells well.
Old 27th February 2013, 16:56   #319
Senior - BHPian

Motor Vikatan has reported on the Facebook (or speculated... hope I'm not being harsh) that the Amaze will be launched on Apr-18.

Motorbash has put an article (refer below) on the same:

http://motorbash.com/honda-to-launch-amaze-on-18-april/
Old 15th March 2013, 23:07   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Moving the discussion on City Diesel here as this thread is more relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
...it might be in development and coming sooner (who knows), i dont see any other reason dealer encouraging not to book Amaze and wait for City....
Dealers are usually the last ones to know the launch of any models as the company never provides them the details. One could easily expect atleast a 6 month delay in the launch of a product after the initial test mules are spotted. And basically I don't think the new gen City is going to be launched anytime before 2014 Mar-Apr time.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 01:52   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Moving the discussion on City Diesel here as this thread is more relevant.

Dealers are usually the last ones to know the launch of any models as the company never provides them the details. One could easily expect atleast a 6 month delay in the launch of a product after the initial test mules are spotted. And basically I don't think the new gen City is going to be launched anytime before 2014 Mar-Apr time.
But i don't remember any spotting of test mules for the Amaze either. Could it be the same case with the city too?

After all atleast the city is already in market with a petrol engine and not a new car altogether.
Old 16th March 2013, 14:47   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
But i don't remember any spotting of test mules for the Amaze either. Could it be the same case with the city too?...
Hmm...that's a point about Amaze. What I feel is that they have tested it thoroughly in Japan & may be in their factory premises in India? Even the media personnel were invited to Japan for the TDs. May be they wanted it to be a very secret affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
... After all atleast the city is already in market with a petrol engine and not a new car altogether.
The current gen City will NOT get the diesel engine as it is almost end of life and adding a diesel will bring in a whole lot of cost and by the time they are ready, the new gen should be launched. So expect the City to get a diesel motor ONLY on next gen.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:24   #323
Senior - BHPian

http://motoroids.com/news/honda-brio...ed-inside-out/

Looks good to me! If Honda don't get greedy, am even ok to give a slight premium over Dzire.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:57   #324
BHPian

An interview with the CEO Mr. Hironori Kanayama from the TOI Mumbai edition today: Ready for counter-attack: Honda.

Hironori Kanayama, president and CEO of Honda Car India, has over three decades of experience with the Japanese parent and worked in many challenging markets like China. Now, after nearly one year of stint in India, Kanayama faces a bigger challenge — getting the company back on track. In an interview, he tells TOIthat Honda is prepared for a “counter-attack”, especially as it makes a long-delayed entry into the fast-growing diesel market. Excerpts.

Honda is about to launch the Amaze sedan, while committing fresh investments of Rs 1,200 crore. How confident are you about your India strategy?
>I am confident about our plans and about India’s potential. The market will grow steadily and we will capture a higher share in an expanding market.

Has Honda learnt from its past mistakes regarding vehicle pricing, considering that you had to undergo massive price cuts on Jazz and the City after initially pricing them higher?
>We think that stable pricing is very essential. Therefore, we are trying to reduce the influence of exchange rate fluctuations by increasing local content.
Pricing is very crucial in India.

Do you think Honda is prepared to take on big rivals like Maruti Suzuki in this aspect?
>We should not betray customer expectations... the past is past, all I can do is to change the future.

Honda has an aggressive product plan for India. Can you give me a roadmap of the new launches?
>Within the next three years, we will come with five big launches. The next-generation Jazz and an all-new utility vehicle will debut next year.

What about the new City?
>First the new Jazz will be introduced globally. The City, which is a sister model of Jazz, will come after that.

Compact SUVs have had a good run in India. When can we expect a smaller SUV?
>Recently, we had showcased a Jazz-based SUV concept. That can be one of the options in the future. Maruti is very strong in India and one of the reasons is their multi-product strategy in small cars.

Along with Brio, will you add more models to have a similar strategy?
>What we can learn from Maruti Suzuki is what type of car is liked by Indian customers and what kind of features help achieve cost competitiveness. India was one of the lead countries for Brio during development.

As you work on other models, what role will India play in development?
>It depends on the model... (but) to develop any specific model only for India, we have to make a huge investment. At present it does not pay to produce solely for the Indian market.

Do you have plans to make India a global hub for any specific model?
>Honda’s way of thinking is that we manufacture vehicles wherever there is a market. In the bigger markets, we already have plants. The possibility of exports lies mainly in emerging markets like South Africa.

Honda closed 2012-13 with sales of around 74,000 units. Where do you see yourself by 2015-16 with more models and a bigger retail network?
>We are confident of having a double-digit growth. I hope to utilize our capacity of 2.4 lakh units by then.

Honda has not been making profits in India. When do you think your operations will turn profitable?
>We want to do it as early as possible. It depends on our localization plans, which helps to enhance cost competitiveness. Besides, rupee exchange rate is also crucial.

Heres looking forward to those 5 new launches which according to me sum up like this: The new Jazz, Jazz based Urban SUV, new Civic, new City and the 5th one looks like Honda's reply to the Ertiga which will be based on the Brio platform. Need to watch out for this or it very well could be the refreshed Accord. Wait and watch period as the Samurai's ready for their toughest conquest in India, so far.
coolmel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 13:52   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Honda has an aggressive product plan for India. Can you give me a roadmap of the new launches?
>Within the next three years, we will come with five big launches. The next-generation Jazz and an all-new utility vehicle will debut next year.

What about the new City?
>First the new Jazz will be introduced globally. The City, which is a sister model of Jazz, will come after that.

Compact SUVs have had a good run in India. When can we expect a smaller SUV?
>Recently, we had showcased a Jazz-based SUV concept. That can be one of the options in the future.
Does this mean compact SUV based on jazz platform will be the first one after amaze?

2. What exactly he intend by saying "The City, which is a sister model of Jazz"
Old 4th April 2013, 17:52   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post
Does this mean compact SUV based on jazz platform will be the first one after amaze?

2. What exactly he intend by saying "The City, which is a sister model of Jazz"
The SUV will(tentatively) follow the Jazz, which will debut later this year at the Tokyo Motor Show in November. The City is a sister model, meaning the Jazz & the City share the same chassis(even the current gen).
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 20:13   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda is planning to develop a smaller diesel engine with a capacity between 1.0L and 1.2L.

Since it is still in the early planning/concept stage, it will take a good 3-4 years before we see a final product.

Quoting Mr. Atsushi Arisaka, chief engineer, large project development, Honda R&D-Asia Pacific:

Quote:
"We are looking at a diesel engine with engine capacity between one and 1.2 litres. Once developed, it can be used on small cars."
Hironori Kanayama, president and chief executive officer, Honda Cars India, had recently hinted on this:

Quote:
"With economic development, there is an increased consumer preference for more expensive cars, resulting in a demand boom for utility vehicles. But that is not the only case in India. There are a large number of people who want to own cars, and because of such first-time buyers, the compact car segment would continue to generate demand. While a final decision has not been taken, we are studying the market below the Brio."
Seems like the Brio will be the frontrunner to receive this smaller capacity diesel in it's next generation avatar, and maybe a smaller Honda hatch below the Brio (in the entry hatch segment) might come in with this oil-burner in it as well (possibly detuned).

Honda is targeting annual sales of 3 million units in China and India by 2017, which is more than double of it's annual sales in these countries right now. Both Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai are working on smaller diesels as well, so Honda has to start now if it has to challenge the segment leaders in this entry-level diesel segment.

More details (and source) - http://www.business-standard.com/art...1500062_1.html

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th April 2013 at 20:15.
Old 16th April 2013, 10:19   #328
Senior - BHPian

5 New launches. Does the New civic feature in those plans?
Old 16th April 2013, 14:48   #329
Senior - BHPian

With the Amaze coming into picture, their sales should definitely go up. With this new gained momentum and with everybody looking at them, they should get aggressive and release a few more variants in Diesel over the next 5-6 months.

The concept SUV based on Brio Platform should be a good bet against the likes of Ecosport & Duster. The way they have engineered the space inside Amaze I would not be surprised if it appears to be the most spacious of the lot in its category.

A Diesel Jazz with some saner pricing should see them take the swift head on.
Old 17th April 2013, 10:46   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Honda to launch 2 new UVs based on Brio & Jazz platforms;

Source: http://www.driveinside.com/car-news/...news2013-04-16

2) Honda to launch New Jazz in 2014;

Source: http://www.driveinside.com/car-news/...news2013-04-16

Last edited by karan561 : 17th April 2013 at 10:48.

Most Viewed