Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2011, 20:20   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda India : The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Very well said. You can be a Honda Lover but the 30Rs Price differential in fuels is a bit much now ! All those arguments about how u need to drive a certain amt of kms in a year to be able to justify a diesel car are out of the window to a great extent.
Exactly! the resale value of the diesel cars are never considered while calculating this aspect, I wonder why Even without all these calculations, the peace of mind the diesel car would give us while filling up every time at the fuel station is easily worth the money.
Old 11th June 2011, 21:20   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But I still fail to understand how will they be able to price the cars competitively. The folks at Honda already know this and looking at their lack of response, it seems they do not have any answers. Something must be wrong in their strategy!
Spot on. Even I was wondering why are there no counter attacks from Honda's side even after their sales are steadily falling? But then, in hindsight, is there anything in their armour that they could try and use against the competition? Sadly nothing that can come immediately. Having positioned themselves as a premium brand, Honda can't reduce the prices of their models too. The only thing that can be done is to add the features on offer across all their models with no increase in price.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:26   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
is there anything in their armour that they could try and use against the competition? Sadly nothing that can come immediately. Having positioned themselves as a premium brand, Honda can't reduce the prices of their models too. The only thing that can be done is to add the features on offer across all their models with no increase in price.
Sir, Honda is a small company compared to its Japanese rivals, Toyota and Nissan. However, Honda is NOT a premium brand, they are just present in India because its an important market, without customizing or investing here to make products for the local market at reasonable costs.

You also have to keep in mind that Honda competes, and earns around 15 percent of its revenues, in the two-wheeler segment too. It is doing fairly well in relation to its competitors such as Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki. Do keep in mind that Suzuki has no presence in four-wheelers except India. Globally Suzuki is known more as a bike maker.

So, whenever you make comparisons, you have to keep the larger picture in mind. For Honda, the US is the biggest car market, still (and not China), and they have two-wheelers, marine products (engines), all-terrain vehicles, etc in their portfolio and they are doing pretty well overall...
Old 12th June 2011, 07:01   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
Sir, Honda is a small company compared to its Japanese rivals, Toyota and Nissan. However, Honda is NOT a premium brand,

and they have two-wheelers, marine products (engines), all-terrain vehicles, etc in their portfolio and they are doing pretty well overall...
Agreed. They are way smaller than Toyota and even Hyundai. Though Honda is not a premium brand outside India, they have positioned themselves as one in our country.

Regarding the list of what they make and sell, you have probably missed one thing - 'Jets'. Yes, they do manufacture Jets and its wierdly called 'Honda Jet'.
Old 12th June 2011, 11:50   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed.

Regarding the list of what they make and sell, you have probably missed one thing - 'Jets'. Yes, they do manufacture Jets and its wierdly called 'Honda Jet'.
No I did not Honda jets are covered under marine products as far as I remember. Which reminds me, anybody recall 'Siyaram Honda' power generators? I think that was Honda's first entry into the Indian market.
Old 12th June 2011, 12:47   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
No I did not Honda jets are covered under marine products as far as I remember. Which reminds me, anybody recall 'Siyaram Honda' power generators? I think that was Honda's first entry into the Indian market.
This does not look like a marine product:

http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1

and I guess the gensets were from 'shriram honda' - now known as Honda Siel Power Products

Honda Gensets, Water Pump, Engines, Lawn Mowers & Brush Cutters
Old 12th June 2011, 13:02   #187
Senior - BHPian

I think its only our country where Honda is one of the highest respected brands, even higher than Toyota. Honda should make 'use' of this not 'exploit' customers by stretching this brand reputation they enjoy. If the Jazz or the City or the Civic were to have only a nominal price increase over their immediate rival in their respective segments, trust me, they wouldn't be doing the numbers they are doing every month.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:07   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
This does not look like a marine product:

http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1

and I guess the gensets were from 'shriram honda' - now known as Honda Siel Power Products

Honda Gensets, Water Pump, Engines, Lawn Mowers & Brush Cutters
Mea culpa. Yes it was indeed Shriram Honda. The original JV partners still have a stake in Honda Siel, I beileve.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:16   #189
BHPian

There are rumours that the current Honda City will get a facelift and other minor interior upgrades and the new version will be launched in October/November 2011 in time for Diwali.

Looks like a mid life upgrade (considering the ANHC was introduced in late 2008)

Sources:New Features:

Exterior:
  • new set of front and rear bumpers
  • new alloys
  • new head- and tail-lamps
  • grille should get minor changes
Interior:
  • new instrumental panel,
  • new interior trim,
  • a new CD players
Is this true? Anyone heard More?
Old 12th June 2011, 13:39   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Is this true? Anyone heard More?
No it’s not true. Check out the source of this info i.e. carscoop http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2008/10...in-sydney.html.
The article was published on October 09, 2008 and they (burnyourfuel, automotiveinfo) are just doing this to spread rumors. The picture is taken from the Sydney motor show way back in oct 2008.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th June 2011 at 13:47.
Old 12th June 2011, 13:54   #191
BHPian

@bharat, The pictures in the links don't look like a face lift, Check this out - All About Cars: November 2008, these pictures were shot way back in 2008. Sad that the links you posted are trying seem to be misleading people.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:00   #192
BHPian

Guys there seems to be some truth in facelift news.
Checkout this facebook update from Honda India.

Quote:
This is the special news for our Followers:-
Our New Honda City will get a Facelift expect a generation leap, New Front & Rear Lights, Bumpers, New Alloys, New Front Grille, new instrument panel, new interior trim, DVD player with USB and AUX. Current 1.5L i-Vtec Engine and transmission will remain untouched or slightly for more Power.

-TEAM HONDA INDIA-
June 6 at 12:39pm
Quote:
Honda India ‎@Amogh Kudalkar
no no its not coming in Q4 2012 its actually the time when will Launch a New Diesel Engine for our Cars. Specially City, Jazz and Brio. We are in making a Diesel Engine of 2.2L for Accord. Our New Honda City will Debut in India near Diwali or November this year.
June 7 at 12:21am

Source: Walls posted on facebook "Honda India"

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 12th June 2011 at 16:09.
Old 12th June 2011, 16:26   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
No it’s not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Guys there seems to be some truth in facelift news.
Checkout this facebook update from Honda India.

Ok, Honda has to refresh the model because of the new players in the market. By refreshing the model their car will remain 'fresh' in front of other competitors. This time one can even expect some cut in the price.

BTW I guess a company never announces its future launch as this will hit the sales of current model even more.

PS - there are number of Honda car India pages on Facebook, is this a genuine one?
Old 12th June 2011, 19:46   #194
BHPian

Guys I also beleive there is some truth about this rumoured launch. Multiple sites across countries including Thailand, Malaysia and India are reporting this.

Yes the photos are 2008 but they are just being used to give an idea and the same has been mentioned on those blogs.

I think Honda PR has purposely provided these tidbits so that people postpone purchase of their competitors petrol offerings (which provide so much more features).

Looks like Honda is waking up!
Old 13th June 2011, 10:35   #195
BHPian

Quote:
As much as we all love Honda cars and their technology, I think Hyundai has now effectively put a full stop to this comment. A Korean Car is no longer a Korean Car that we used to associate, say, a decade or half back. The New Verna is simply brilliant and the best all-rounder in its segment and quite deservedly outsells the City.
As much as you would like to believe it, let us admit that Hyundai is nowhere near it's Jap counterparts. Not even Suzuki, let alone Honda and Toyota.
There are lots of bells and whistles in their i20 and now in ANHV.
But people wouldn't (shouldn't) base their purchase decision just on that.
The only thing I like about ANHV are all 4 disc brakes and 6 airbags and other safety features.
The ANHV doesn't even feel like a 126 bhp car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks