Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)

High Points

- Jaguar Land Rover today officially opens its first assembly plant in India.

- The facility at Pune will assemble the Land Rover Freelander 2, supplied in Complete Knock Down (CKD) form from Jaguar Land Rover's Halewood manufacturing plant in Liverpool, UK.

- The Freelander 2 is available in India in two variants, the TD4 SE Automatic and the SD4 HSE Automatic. Prices start at Rupees 33.89 Lacs (ex-showroom price in Mumbai, pre-octroi).

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2011 at 14:54. Reason: Replacing content with official press release
Old 27th May 2011, 14:50   #2
BANNED

Re: Woah! Land Rover drops prices of Land Rover Freelander2 by 7-8 lakhs!

What were they earlier? Whats the drop in percentage terms.

I am trying to see how much a Defender would cost. If it does come here in CKD form.

Yeah I am a dreamer.
Old 27th May 2011, 15:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I am trying to see how much a Defender would cost. If it does come here in CKD form.

Yeah I am a dreamer.
The price drop is in range of 7 to 8 lakhs. Which is very good.

Woah! Land Rover drops prices of Land Rover Freelander2 by 7-8 lakhs!

Jaguar Land Rover Opens India Plant; Starts With Freelander Assembly - WSJ.com
Old 27th May 2011, 16:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)

Not only the prices have been dropped but new features are added including sat Navigation on both models but i don't think Freelander was ever priced above 45 lac in past so drop must be less than 4-5 lac nevertheless good ,, defender in CKD ! good for dreaming & honestly given the prices how many are actually going to buy this ? most likely new CKD can be Evoque next year

Now we look forward to review of this car by TBHP - I am trying to save some money to buy this soon
Old 27th May 2011, 21:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)

The Freelander variants have engines with different states of tune isnt it?
One i think 150bhp and other 170bhp.Whats the price of the higher variant?
Old 27th May 2011, 22:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar Land Rover have opened their first assembly plant in India at Pune. To begin with, they will assemble the Freelander 2 which will come as a CKD from Halewood - Liverpool, UK.

Available in two variants SE and HSE with a 2.2L Diesel engine, prices of the Freelander 2 will start at Rs 33.89 lacs (ex-showroom Mumbai, pre-octroi)

The JLR management kept mum when asked about the estimated production volume, investment in the project.

Some pictures from the inauguration:

The Jaguar / Land Rover facility at Chikhali, Pune
Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0066.jpg

Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0081.jpg

Engineers working with Jaguar / Land Rover accompanied by a Nashik-Dhol Band
Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0026.jpg

(L-R) Mr. P M Telang, MD - India Operations, Tata Motors Ltd, Mr. Ralph Speth - CEO, Jaguar Land Rover, Mr. Ravi Kant, Vice Chairman, Tata Motors Ltd, Mr. Carl-Peter Forster - Group CEO and MD, Tata Motors Ltd.
Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0048.jpg

Fleet of Freelander 2s on the assembly line
Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0079.jpg

Expect to see this LR4 locally assembled here in the near future
Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)-dsc_0073.jpg
Stratos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 22:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)

Great to see Tata dropping prices to a justified level. Most car makers barely pass on the advantage to buyers. When the q5 began assembley here Audi did not drop prices all that much either.
Now please assemble the RR sport and Jag xf here and slash prices!!

Last edited by Sahil : 27th May 2011 at 22:30.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 22:51   #8
BHPian

Re: Jaguar-Land Rover Assembly Plant inaugurated in Pune, MH (Updated w/ Pictures)

Dont expect to see the defender unless the army orders a decent quantity. Hope they consider some CKDs of the new defender coming in 2013. even then the prices would be in the 18-20 lakh range , fingers crossed
Old 28th May 2011, 20:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

If LAND ROVER keeps us the promise on pricing, then the FREELANDER 2 should be the next step after the FORTUNER in the aspiration stakes
Old 28th May 2011, 21:45   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Dont expect to see the defender unless the army orders a decent quantity.
Why do you say so? Does TATA believe there is no market here for the Defender?

Quote:
Hope they consider some CKDs of the new defender coming in 2013. even then the prices would be in the 18-20 lakh range , fingers crossed
That's what I am hoping and praying for. The attitude, history and the 4x4 ability of a stock Defender would justify the price tag.
Old 28th May 2011, 21:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great to see JLR opening an assembly plant in India. It was inevitable at a time when there has been a staggering growth in India's luxury car market. I hope they also start producing the XF soon. It's a fantastic car that is overshadowed by an expensive price tag. The Diesel V6 is a stonker of an engine!

The Freelander 2 is a good SUV but the prices after CKD should have started for just under 30lakhs. The BMW X1 Highline costs about the same as the Freelander 2.2 SE. And with a great service back-up and wide dealership network, the sales of the X1 will surely be higher.

Last edited by theragingbull : 28th May 2011 at 21:50.
Old 28th May 2011, 21:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The Freelander 2 is a good SUV but the prices after CKD could start for just under 30lakhs. The BMW X1 Highline costs about the same as the Freelander 2.2 SE. And with a great service back-up and wide dealership network, the sales of the X1 will surely be higher.
The freelander 2 has been announced @ 34 lakhs ex showroom, it gets to nearly 39L on road.
Old 28th May 2011, 23:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Prices at Ludhiana are

Freelander 2.2d SE (CKD) 34,94,537.00
Freelander 2.2d HSE (CKD) 39,65,541.00

Yes Audi did not dropped the pricing of Q5 whereas TATA has not only reduced prices but also improved Specs , SAT Nav fills the otherwise open space in dash board beautifully but ideally there should have been something like iDrive .

It will be fair to compare this with X3 rather than X1 , the only worrying part at this time seems to be on service costs & network
Old 29th May 2011, 02:38   #14
BHPian

almost everyone in india is waiting for the EVOQUE. Its launch will be disastrous for other SUV's if the pricing is right which is not going to happen most probably as freelander 2 starts from 22000 euro in UK and here it is 34L (delhi OTR) for the starting model where as evoque starts at 27000 euros so you can do the math..

But still as i said in another post, the future is uncertain so keep dreaming and hope for the best
Old 29th May 2011, 16:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I read this news, my first thinking was, is it coming and how much will a Defender cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Yeah I am a dreamer.
And as Spitfire I too am a dreamer and asking my wife to accept me back :P if I end buying any of this one

Will be adding a bit more videos for other defender fans!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks