Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 22:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Lol...for the Yeti's money one should've got an Aria, its got 4x4, well specced, seats two more.....par reliability

Just kidding, yet to see a broken down Aria!!!
Incidentally I am yet to see an Aria but spot Many Yetis on Bangalore roads! So they need to exist on the roads first to break down . On a serious note Aria is too new and unproven to be passed on as reliable.
Old 31st May 2011, 00:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

@ Guna,

They have sold more than the Yeti (no big deal), so perhaps you are looking in the wrong places .

Unproven...mmmm maybe, but still no ones calling it unreliable!!
Old 31st May 2011, 04:41   #48
BHPian

Funny thing, I was going through these posts and there are many who are being soft on the VW/ Skoda group and their A$$, the response time etc. If the same would have been from the Tata group it would have made a huge furore.

On other thoughts, my friend recently got his Polo 1.2. Recently, the door beading had some tears.. This happened when he was trying to open the door after it was kept in the sun for a couple of days. When he opened the door, the beading tore in a couple of places. The SA blamed him for what happened!

Probably it is not VW's fault but they need to relook. Once they lose face it will be difficult for them.
Old 31st May 2011, 04:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I am surprised by the extreme reactions by members on this, just another newspaper report a car that broke down twice and not much details are shared. Our Scorpio m-Hawk has given up 3+times and my Punto has broken down twice, now is it time i should declare my Punto/Scorpio a lemon, i frequently see brand new Safaris and Vista being towed away, i have seen some threads where Accord and Civic broke down, we have some discussions here of Mercs that broke down...

P.S-I am not arguing whether Skoda(+VW+Audi) is reliable or not, this is just a reaction to the posts above.
I agree with you on that
My hyundai elantra gave me gearbox problems after 6k kms, got it fixed under warranty, didn't make it a hulaaa experience,
skoda always comes in the news cause its skoda & not hyundai, thats my 2 cents..

cheers..

Last edited by Berj79 : 31st May 2011 at 05:00.
Old 31st May 2011, 05:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I am surprised by the extreme reactions by members on this, just another newspaper report a car that broke down twice and not much details are shared. Our Scorpio m-Hawk has given up 3+times and my Punto has broken down twice, now is it time i should declare my Punto/Scorpio a lemon, i frequently see brand new Safaris and Vista being towed away, i have seen some threads where Accord and Civic broke down, we have some discussions here of Mercs that broke down...

P.S-I am not arguing whether Skoda(+VW+Audi) is reliable or not, this is just a reaction to the posts above.
+1 to .anshuman : I dont understand why i keep seeing this pattern of reaction on lot of automotive forums . One bad review and everyone goes oh bad brand bad brand , stay away , be careful and all that .

One good review : everyone says , solid car , german /russian /or whatever engineering .

Every brand has defective cars . Not only in India but in other countries too . I understand 18 lakhs is not a joke but for a company to offer a refund there must be a strong case too . If they replace the vehicle for one customer , tomorrow there will be ten more standing on their doors to get replacement cars . I dont agree with this at all . He has been give a replacement car . His car was fixed . Its just a machine , it will break down , today or tomorrow . Its a good thing its all happening now , its all getting fixed under warranty .

Like anshuman said our puntos have had their fair share of problems . And people love to bash FIATS . But they are not that bad as people potray them . Similarly how many YETIs have broken down till date ?
Old 31st May 2011, 06:59   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

good post.
fair and balanced view.
Skoda is a desirable vehicle brand no doubt. but it is quite expensive. most of our reactions, somewhere or other are linked to the price of the vehicle. but it is not fair to tar all the Skoda vehicles with the same brush, the same way that this logic applies to all other brands too. But yet, the strong negative impressions remain somewhere in the sub conscious and will definitely impact the buying behaviour of many of us. same goes for tata and fiat vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
+1 to .anshuman : I dont understand why i keep seeing this pattern of reaction on lot of automotive forums . One bad review and everyone goes oh bad brand bad brand , stay away , be careful and all that .

One good review : everyone says , solid car , german /russian /or whatever engineering .

Every brand has defective cars . Not only in India but in other countries too . I understand 18 lakhs is not a joke but for a company to offer a refund there must be a strong case too . If they replace the vehicle for one customer , tomorrow there will be ten more standing on their doors to get replacement cars . I dont agree with this at all . He has been give a replacement car . His car was fixed . Its just a machine , it will break down , today or tomorrow . Its a good thing its all happening now , its all getting fixed under warranty .

Like anshuman said our puntos have had their fair share of problems . And people love to bash FIATS . But they are not that bad as people potray them . Similarly how many YETIs have broken down till date ?
Old 31st May 2011, 08:09   #52
Senior - BHPian

@torquecurve: You may want to tell your friend that the door beading came out because the car was standing in the sun, outside the VW plant for a long-time and/or at the stockyard. This is a common problem and VW should replace it under goodwill.
Old 31st May 2011, 10:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Funny thing, I was going through these posts and there are many who are being soft on the VW/ Skoda group and their A$$, the response time etc. If the same would have been from the Tata group it would have made a huge furore.

On other thoughts, my friend recently got his Polo 1.2. Recently, the door beading had some tears.. This happened when he was trying to open the door after it was kept in the sun for a couple of days. When he opened the door, the beading tore in a couple of places. The SA blamed him for what happened!

Probably it is not VW's fault but they need to relook. Once they lose face it will be difficult for them.
Why is not VW's fault? They are supposed to be selling "Made for India" cars. At least their ads claim that. Don't they know how hot it is in India? My car (WagonR) is always parked under the sun (no covered parking at home or office) but never faced anything like that till date and it's been like this for the last 4 years. Had the SA blamed me for such a thing, I surely would have blown up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
I agree with you on that
My hyundai elantra gave me gearbox problems after 6k kms, got it fixed under warranty, didn't make it a hulaaa experience,
You probably would have if it had left you stranded in the middle of nowhere or under the hot afternoon sun. I surely would have.

I do not expect a new car to leave me stranded anywhere. German or not!

Quote:

Every brand has defective cars . Not only in India but in other countries too . I understand 18 lakhs is not a joke but for a company to offer a refund there must be a strong case too . If they replace the vehicle for one customer , tomorrow there will be ten more standing on their doors to get replacement cars .
Had it happened in US/Europe, I can bet they would have done more than what they are doing in India. People there have far less forgiving there than in India where people get pleased if there new cars are repaired free of cost under warranty.

Quote:
Similarly how many YETIs have broken down till date ?
How many have been sold till date? How many cases make it to internet/newspapers?

There are probably a lot more Fiats around but disgruntled customers might still be the same.
Old 1st June 2011, 00:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Why is not VW's fault? They are supposed to be selling "Made for India" cars. At least their ads claim that. Don't they know how hot it is in India? My car (WagonR) is always parked under the sun (no covered parking at home or office) but never faced anything like that till date and it's been like this for the last 4 years. Had the SA blamed me for such a thing, I surely would have blown up.

You probably would have if it had left you stranded in the middle of nowhere or under the hot afternoon sun. I surely would have.

I do not expect a new car to leave me stranded anywhere. German or not!

Had it happened in US/Europe, I can bet they would have done more than what they are doing in India. People there have far less forgiving there than in India where people get pleased if there new cars are repaired free of cost under warranty.

How many have been sold till date? How many cases make it to internet/newspapers?

There are probably a lot more Fiats around but disgruntled customers might still be the same.

How many have been sold and how many stories make it to the media . Well lets take the case of FIAT . I have heard numerous cases where people have complained about very very silly issues . And they blow the issue upto the brand being bad . Come on had the brand been so bad it wouldnt have done so well and made it to big . I and a couple of my FIAT buddies we had a argument about hyundai the other day . People have mercilessly sidelined it as a Korean non performace brand . But this Korean brand has made it among the top brands of the world . Their cars their technology is on par with the best .

People said Koreans copy designs . Well you know the theory goes that human being himself copied the design of a wheel when he saw bugs rolling dung balls . Its not about who did it first , its about who perfected it .

Like we had a discussion about FIAT . People say FIAT makes half of worlds engines . So many brands use FIAT engines . Does that make FIAT superior . In my opinion no . If you were superior you would know how to sell your own stuff . But FIAT sales all over the world have been bad . And the complaints all over the world have been same , dull interiors , huge panel gaps . Majority of the people or consumers will look at what the product feels like , the complete package , no one really cares whats inside teh hood , only a few of us like the ones on this forum or any other automotive forum care for the insides .

My point being we bring up these issues and then people build their perceptions based on these . I have read so many initial ownership threads here . Most of the people rejected a skoda or a fiat from the list of probables , because they read a bad review of the product .

So my friends , the number of FIATS/SKODA sold vs the number that have turned out bad is a huge difference .

This gentlemans yeti died on the road , skoda towed it at their own cost and fixed it . If they give him a replacement . and the new car also has some issues and he starts demanding a new car . What will skoda do then?I dont think it makes sense at all .

You wagon R hasnt faced problems and you should blessed . Same with me and my punto . I do hear a few rattles at times but sometimes you just need to ignore them and enjoy the ride . Wagon R ko nazar mat lagao yaar .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed