Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 10:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

There was a story in today's Mumbai Mirror which showed the plight of another disappointed Skoda owner. And this time, it was the all new YETI that broke down not once but twice! The owner is demanding a replacement car or full refund.

Here is the entire story:
Quote:
Despite assurances from the manufacturers, a developer in Vasai is refusing to take back the SUV he purchased just three months ago, saying the vehicle broke down twice and there was no guarantee it won’t give him further trouble.
Virendra Patel bought a Skoda Yeti (MH 04 ET 1300) from JMD Auto, an authorised Skoda dealer in Thane, on February 3. He paid Rs 18.6 lakh for the vehicle, which is now lying in the com-pany workshop. Patel is insisting on a replacement or a refund -- both options not agreeable to the manufacturers.
Patel said, “On April 19, the car broke down on the highway. Since its purchase, it had barely travelled 4,000 km. I called the helpline and a mechanic arrived at the site. The next day, the car was towed to the Skoda workshop in Kandivali.”
Eight days later, Patel was offered a vehicle till the time his car was being repaired. “I had to travel to Gujarat, and took a Skoda Octavia the company offered me as a temporary replacement. I was back in Vasai after a week, and was told my vehicle was ready to hit the roads.”
Patel took back the car after a test ride, but just a couple of days later, the vehicle broke down again, he alleged. “This time around, the vehicle broke down at Dekhale Ghat near Palghar,” he said, “I was told there was an engine problem.”
The company officials said Patel’s car is repaired. Sheetal Khanijoan, customer relations manager, JMD Auto said, “The high pressure pump and cooler exhaust pipe in Patel’s car developed problems, which have been fixed. The engine is fine. The company policy does not allow a re-placement or a refund. We assure him the vehicle will not give him any further problems.”
Patel is not convinced. “They said the same thing the first time my car broke down. They will keep parroting assurances. But I am the one suffering. My family is heart-broken as our new car keeps breaking down in such a manner. It’s either a new car or the money back. If they don’t agree, I will move the consumer court,” he said.

Last edited by theragingbull : 30th May 2011 at 10:13.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:20   #2
BHPian

re: Yet another Skoda story - This time the Yeti!

That is simply disgusting. I love the Yeti . But on a serious note, can he demand a full refund or a new car, legally?
If the company does not agree on it for complete customer satisfaction, which they don't, will it still be fruitful to move the court?
Old 30th May 2011, 10:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
That is simply disgusting. I love the Yeti . But on a serious note, can he demand a full refund or a new car, legally?
If the company does not agree on it for complete customer satisfaction, which they don't, will it still be fruitful to move the court?
The article is not clear whether the first and the second issues were the same. If it is a repeat problem then it does merrit a replacement of the car. Also assurance of the car not breaking down should come with a stringent penalty if it breaks down (to take care of expenses and time/opportunity lost). That will make the car manufacturers sit up and do something about providing acceptable quality cars to customers. For last 10 years I have been driving Hyundai and Maruti cars. I have not once been let down by the cars on the highway. These two companies have found a way to provide acceptable quality, reliable cars at great price point. Hats off to such manufacturers.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 10:41   #4
BHPian

Skoda reliability is poor than China made electronics.

Last year, I traveled to Kolhapur with family in my partner's Laura.
While returning, I hit a bump and there was some kind of "clicking" sound from DSG box. I stopped the car after couple of Km (sound was increasing), slotted neutral and again in D and that noise disappeared.

Next day I went to service center and told him about it. Before checking the car, he said, it might have happened as DSG is a very complicated system and to check it I have to open the gearbox.

From that day, I never took Laura to any long trips. I assume it will break down anywhere cos Skoda makes complicated vehicles, which are difficult to understand by there own technicians !!!!!!
Old 30th May 2011, 10:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
will it still be fruitful to move the court?
Havent you read this thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-3-years.html

It will answer most of your queries. Forget customer satisfaction and full replacement, the thread show the extent to which companies go to resist replacement of cars.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:53   #6
BHPian

Pathetic!

Cant believe this is happening again and again, with such a premium auto brand.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
with such a premium auto brand
Premium in name, pathetic in Customer satisfaction.

Chennai is another place where i fear monopoly of dealership is killing potential buyers from buying a skoda.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

So seems like yet another Skoda lemon! Or should I say VW group lemon? I am beginning to believe that Honda/Toyota do not over-price their vehicles, however boring or under equipped they might seem. That's the price you pay for peace of mind.

I would not touch a VW group vehicle with a long stick or let anyone near & dear to me do the same. It's not like I have unaccounted money/black money lying around to let s few lemons skip by.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:09   #9
BHPian

Suppose the company agrees to replace the faulty Yeti, what are they gonna do with the one that returned?
Old 30th May 2011, 12:28   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I am surprised by the extreme reactions by members on this, just another newspaper report a car that broke down twice and not much details are shared. Our Scorpio m-Hawk has given up 3+times and my Punto has broken down twice, now is it time i should declare my Punto/Scorpio a lemon, i frequently see brand new Safaris and Vista being towed away, i have seen some threads where Accord and Civic broke down, we have some discussions here of Mercs that broke down...

P.S-I am not arguing whether Skoda(+VW+Audi) is reliable or not, this is just a reaction to the posts above.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 12:37   #11
Team-BHP Support

.anshuman, how has your Skoda after sales experience been so far? I do know your car is new and you probably haven't visited the dealer too many times.

My friend has a Laura TSi and he claims his after sales experience has been very good so far. I wonder if Laura's initial reliability issues have been sorted out
Old 30th May 2011, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Though the article is not detailed, I am sure a person who has spent a bomb for a premium car is not doing this for the sake of it.

Imagine when you buy a brand new luxury car which very few people could buy. You go boasting around the money you have spent and how luxurious the car is. The next very day you are stranded on the highway in peak summer with your family or even worst imagine a late night scenario with ladies. I feel sorry for Mr. Patel.

This is not the first time this is happening with Skoda , faulty part or an engine problem ,dude its a new car and its not supposed to breakdown. I cant imagine how the current skodas are going to age.

I am glad I chose an Accord over the Superb sacrificing the gadgets. When I bought the Accord a lot of people had tried to push me towards Superb saying that skoda has improved, look there are so many Superbs on the road etc etc but Team-Bhp helped me stay away from a potential lemon.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

Companies make thousands of cars and there are bound to be a few lemons or problematic vehicles.

I do not think it is the LAW that if a car breaks down a number of times - the company is liable to replace the car or refund the full amount.

Yes, it is the companies responsibility to rectify and solve the problem free of cost if it is in the warranty period.

Skoda has had their fair share of problems because their dealer network at one time or even today is quite pathetic and absolutely hopeless. The mechanics and staff employed by most dealerships is so poor.

Skodas are cars that have European technology and apart from general service like oil changes, denting, painting, washing etc their mechanics are not well trained to handle ECU / Engine / Electronics & DSG problems. They do not even know what DSG stands for. They are all ex Maruti or TATA or Hyundai mechanics. Those cars are far less complicated than Skodas or VW's.

You would notice that most problems in Skodas are engine shutdowns and cars losing power or gearbox DSG problems. These are jobs meant to be done by much better trained mechanics.

I have a close family cousin whose Skoda Superb broke down after continously idling at 45 minutes while we were eating our barbeque dinner at a roadside stall in delhi and the car would not start after that.

Took them 3 days to identify the problem ( I have no clue what it was - just overheard my cousin say ECU problem ). It happened again after 3 months.

The car is otherwise brilliant and excellent VFM.

I'd say the company should quickly get the Yeti problem solved else it is only going to get BAD publicity and for a SUV like Yeti which is not really setting the sales charts on fire - Skoda should act smartly.
Old 30th May 2011, 12:57   #14
BHPian

+1 anshuman

i think we are over reacting here. there is no where mentioned that the same problem occurred twice. the article says the vehicle broke down - but with no details as to why.

hope we all do understand that just 2 breakdowns (god knows the severity) is not justified to replace the vehicle. there have been several incidences with things going kapoot within first few thousand kms with hondas, suzukis, hyundais and almost every manufacturer. heck even internationally they have recalled the vehicles and "rectified" the problem - not replaced the vehicle.

guess we should wait for a detailed report regarding this issue before bombarding skoda.

though i am not too sure why there is a delay in harish's case. or has it been resolved mutually??
Old 30th May 2011, 13:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I am surprised by the extreme reactions by members on this, just another newspaper report a car that broke down twice and not much details are shared. Our Scorpio m-Hawk has given up 3+times and my Punto has broken down twice, now is it time i should declare my Punto/Scorpio a lemon, i frequently see brand new Safaris and Vista being towed away, i have seen some threads where Accord and Civic broke down, we have some discussions here of Mercs that broke down...

P.S-I am not arguing whether Skoda(+VW+Audi) is reliable or not, this is just a reaction to the posts above.
I guess then you are quite used to your cars braking down.

Cars from all manufactures break down but it's the percentage that matters. Wouldn't you admit that VAG groups seems to be high with those numbers there? In my (immediate) family, we have had Marutis and Hondas (2nd hand and new) till date, combined of them been driven well over 3L kms in the last 10 yrs. No unforeseen break downs till date (touch wood). I want that kind of reliability as long as I have the car. I do not want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere with my family. For that I just cannot trust the Germans now - not with their over-complicated cars and under-trained mechanics. Someday if I can go for luxury segment, I would wait for the Lexus, Infiniti brands over Mercs/Audis/BMWs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks