Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is a Skoda worth buying anymore?
Yes - The strengths of the product outweigh the ownership headaches 67 23.51%
No - Service and Support matter to me as much as the car 218 76.49%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2006, 20:23   #151
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the airbags thing check this merc airbag deployment.

Old 2nd October 2006, 10:12   #152
Team-BHP Support

I think Harrie answered why the seatbelts have to be changed. Not unique to Skoda, but for any car with pretensioners.

Drivers airbag is basically the steering boss itself. It comes as one piece which in a 2 minute swap (but costs about 45K)!

Quote:
However, Rtechs with a much lesser level of damage had both its airbags deployed.
The damage may not have been much, but the impact was pretty darn hard! Frontal damage was restricted because of the strong front cross members the car has. However the speed of deceleration and force of the impact are what caused the airbags to deploy.

Yes, it is really expensive to fix, but I'd rather have a lighter wallet than physical injuries which may last a lifetime.
Old 2nd October 2006, 13:10   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech

Drivers airbag is basically the steering boss itself. It comes as one piece which in a 2 minute swap (but costs about 45K)!
And there is a thriving market in stolen air-bag canisters abroad
Old 3rd October 2006, 10:41   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Yes, it is really expensive to fix, but I'd rather have a lighter wallet than physical injuries which may last a lifetime.
I agree, but that is only so far as owner driven cars go. What about driver driven cars? Is the 'seth' going to spend 50-100k of re-fixing the airbags, et al.? The whole airbag system is quite complicated. It requires weight sensors on seats, seat belt pre-tensioner system, replacement of dash, etc. In more modern cars they have 6 or more airbags.

While I also chose the ZXI because of perceived added safety of airbags, are we correct in presuming airbags help? Anybody got some links to research/hard facts on the issue?

Edit: I do seem to have gone OT, moderators may delete or move to appropriate section as new thread.

Last edited by sandeep108 : 3rd October 2006 at 10:42.
Old 3rd October 2006, 12:40   #155
Senior - BHPian

With new insurance rates coming next year... good bye Petrol Skoda...
we will remember you for next 12 months...
Old 3rd October 2006, 13:47   #156
Team-BHP Support

To be sure the service we got from Ichiban and Landmark (Honda) was as bad as Autobahn (Skoda). Still I dont see many European manufacturers making it big in India. Are we giving the Japs a longer rope?

I know that GM and Ford have had their issues, so have Fiat, Skoda and even Mercedes-Benz. Yet the Japs service has not been exactly exemplary.

Yet I dont know if even Mahindra will be able to make Peugeots as commercially susccessful as Honda, Toyota or Hyundai (have done with their cars - ok Hyundai have had a few lemons like the Elantra but not for lack of service).

Maybe it is that India (and in general Indinns are) is a market for the value-conscious. Maybe for such a market the Japanese/Kiorean products (light, fuel efficient) cars is perfect.

However forget within India but even when our brethern move to the US or UK or other foreign shores we prefer Hondas and Toyotas to BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes. There is no doubt that the driving pleasure of a SAAB (9-3) is far greater than that of a Sentra (Nissan) but how many of us are willing to sacrifice relaibility, service, etc.. for this extra edge.
Old 3rd October 2006, 14:15   #157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
With new insurance rates coming next year... good bye Petrol Skoda...
we will remember you for next 12 months...

Hey could you elaborate on that please? I haven't understood why insurance rates will kill the RS.
Old 3rd October 2006, 14:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Cos, Spares and maintenance cost and how you drive the car form a deciding factor in insurance rates going forward...

Skoda = expensive spares, expensive maintenance,
Petrol = high BHP, high speed, owners with lot of Adrenaline [FONT=Arial][/FONT]
Color = Red , Yellow = racy colors & positioning of the car

lot of Adrenaline + racy car = high insurance...

Last 2 are true in general, not only for Skoda, but in case of Skoda high maintenance cost and expensive spares will add up a lot....
Old 5th October 2006, 08:55   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
I agree, but that is only so far as owner driven cars go. What about driver driven cars? Is the 'seth' going to spend 50-100k of re-fixing the airbags, et al.? The whole airbag system is quite complicated. It requires weight sensors on seats, seat belt pre-tensioner system, replacement of dash, etc. In more modern cars they have 6 or more airbags.
Here is an interesting bulgarian alternative to airbags - linky
Old 5th October 2006, 10:17   #160
BANNED

I wonder what they use for helmets in Bulgaria...
Old 5th October 2006, 10:45   #161
Senior - BHPian

So now only female drivers? and that too with adequate 'measurements'? I do think that will lead to more 'accidents'.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:34   #162
BHPian

Guys!!!!!

But I am pretty comfortable with BSS and *** of JMD Skoda.. They have always attended to my grievances if any...

Maybe it's too early to conclude....
Old 5th October 2006, 17:36   #163
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully things should improve with skoda. Their diesel car sales have moved in tandem with fuel prices and if you are happy with the dealer, good for you. Even I have been more than happy with my honda dealer, even though several people speak of horror stories. Even today, I just called to inquire about something and he remembered about old unsolved problem in my car.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:59   #164
Senior - BHPian

Check this out: Skoda Sep sales up 37.62%
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2078512.cms
Old 25th April 2009, 09:13   #165
Senior - BHPian

3 year old thread dude!! but the top still in hot discussion.
my answer is NO its not worth buying a skoda period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks