Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is a Skoda worth buying anymore?
Yes - The strengths of the product outweigh the ownership headaches 67 23.51%
No - Service and Support matter to me as much as the car 218 76.49%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2006, 00:44   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
First of all, i have to say that Skoda is simply a great car to drive. Even after all those repairs that i had this month, i still feel good driving the car which is back to full performance. Now it may not be a great car for the people who are chauffered but once ur in the front seat i'm sure it'll beat Corolla, Elantra and the Optra which are in the same league.
Karthik ,its great to hear that your car is back to normal and you are loving it .. I totally agree with you ,its not a great car to be chauffered in but as you said theres no competition when it comes to the front seat ..

I agree with the service part too ,its poor and we all hope Skoda india reacts and get their act together asap before they learn it the hard way ..

P.s you know what ,only a person who owns or 've had the pleasure of owning this machine can actually tell how gud it is(inspite of those high maintanance and expensive parts) ,rest may just guess(no offence to anyone) and buddy kudos o you cos your car really gave you a tough time but still you are left with the Guts to say that it is the best in the class ..

OT Therefore ,i rest my case .

Last edited by Beemer : 2nd February 2006 at 00:46.
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:12   #92
BANNED

I'm Shocked LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Another example of underage / illegal driving (according to your profile)!

karthik247 - nothing against you personally but lots against underage / illegal driving.
OFF TOPIC, KINDLY EXCUSE! Oh my God! LOL... Here I was thinking Karthik was in his 30s (Like you know, one doesn't expect a 16 year old to own/ drive a Skoda Octavia or any car for that matter, you expect his family to)... Just 16??

This is how I feel now -> LMAO @ myself.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 2nd February 2006 at 01:14.
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:15   #93
jat
BHPian

Sorry, I wrongly posted in this section.

Last edited by jat : 2nd February 2006 at 01:27. Reason: Wrongly posted in this section
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:17   #94
BHPian

We all indians vote/recommend for our owned car brands, If you face thousands of problems with your car and still recommend your car to others. And always vote against those cars which we could not buy due to financial problems/delay in deliveries. This applicable to all industries not only automobile industry. OFF TOPIC?
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:23   #95
BHPian

I never recommend my cars to anyone else cause i always find faults with it.....
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:19   #96
Senior - BHPian

True. The Octavia makes a lot of sense. BUT Skoda never anticipated the success they have had in India and today they seem to think they're God's gift to us.

I had heard rumours about Skoda's parts and service issues. But they were all confirmed on this forum. I would rather buy an Elantra CRDi over the Octavia. Sure the Octavia is built better, but I'm not looking for just a tank. As a package, the Elantra is a better car period. And cheaper, better equipped, more comfortable, and far more economical on service and parts.
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:21   #97
BHPian

Skoda troubles

Quote:
Nothing to do with skoda here. Any car with ECU when gets water in ECU means expensive repairs, except when its an indian made car(100% indian) where ECU costs 10000rs approx rather than 30000+.
And according to another survey 99% of the surveys are false
Hey TSK1979,

Dont feel bad but these stats abt skoda being most affected is true.

Last edited by turbofreak : 2nd February 2006 at 12:23.
Old 2nd February 2006, 12:40   #98
BHPian

one thing guyz....throw water on them or not, SKoda will definately have a lovely future in India..that is for SURE! and there is nothing that can deter them out of it..

guyz! most of the posts here are cribbing about high spares, high maintainence being the point for buying or not.... Spares have been expensive since Day 1! and even today they are doing excellent sales... why so? ppl still love everything else in the car and are not deterred by the maintenance... if ppl were really worried, and now that its an open fact that skoda spares are the costliest,,,ppl wudnt still go out buying the Octavias.

jus my thoughts...
Insane Devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2006, 14:11   #99
Team-BHP Support

Lets say I have a company called X.
X makes wondeful cars. My cars have no maintaince for 3 years. After 6 months people say I own X and its the best car, built like a tank. I sell lots of cars. then 4 yesrs pass, and people find out that brake pads good for 30000kms cost 4000 each, alternator good for 50000kms costs 50000+ ECU good for 80000 costs 1lakh+.
First the resale value nosedives, as its already done in delhi. Next through word of mouth people realize that the elephant can be affordable for only for 3 years.
Its skoda's lucky stars that it costs 14 lakh. People in that segment wont really feel the pinch. Imagine if they had launced the fabia at 7 lakh. A person who buys 7 lakhs worth of car takes approx 50000/month as take home avg. Now ask him to spend 100% of his monthly salary on regular maintaince at 60000 service?
Old 2nd February 2006, 14:15   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Nope ,i dont agree ,the corrola by no means is a VFM .

I still and 'll always hate corrola .. Sorry to say bro but to me its THE worst car in its segment and the reasons are ample like flimsy build quality, pathetic ride quality ,excessive road noise ,rattly interiors to name a few and neither am impressed with the looks .
I do not wish to make this a Toyota Vs Skoda thread, but you are very wrong... Come sit in my 2003 Corolla and show me anything that rattles even though this car was being solely used for MotorMom before I sold my 2004 Scorpio two months ago and this car was never under my strict maintenance... Vivekiny2k is proof of this as he has sat in the car at low speeds and speeds over 140kmph (No music on) and mind you the car was serviced 6 months back and is due for service. Mind you, my office road was in the papers a few weeks ago for the bad shape it is in after the Chennai floods and this car travels that road almost 4-6 times a day and still not a single rattle.

The ride and and noise levels have all been taken care of in the "so called" new Corolla and even in the old Corolla it's not all that bad... Take it from someone like me who has no mercy for any car no matter if it's Japanese, korean, American, Indian or whatever and has owned one.

Looks are subjective... I can show you many who hate the look of the Octavia from front including me.

Having said all this, don't forget, I was the one who told you to go in for the Octavia when you think its the best for you and not to worry about anything anyone says.

PS: Do I say this because I own a Corolla? NO!... Read the post where I tease MotorMom everyday... At times, I go as far as telling her the Corolla is worse than a M800 lol. Also, let's not forget, I'm selling the Corolla as soon as I buy my next vehicle which is very soon.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 2nd February 2006 at 14:35.
Old 2nd February 2006, 14:21   #101
BANNED

Boom is a loser!!

I finally admit defeat… The Laura and Skoda in general are just not worth it in India anymore and the reasons I’ve accepted defeat are the following:
1. This very thread and the poll on this thread too.
2. One of my uncles who has a Skoda Octavia diesel (one of the first few to own one) amongst the four cars he owns and two of my friends who own Skoda Octavias (one has a L&K and the other the normal diesel one) say maintenance costs of a Skoda are just not worth it. All their cars cover close to 70-90kms a day as their factories are far off from where they stay.
3. My auditor who is quite a cool gentleman, somewhat of a car enthusiast and a father of a boy aged above 20 went to check out the Laura for himself and he too feels it just doesn’t make sense to own one. I trust him as I know him for over 25 years and I know he only wishes me the best in life and has no need to bs.
4. My usage for this car will be around 30-40Kms. a day and for this kind of usage the Laura makes no sense at all (a fact even a high level person with Skoda pointed out and suggested I might as well look at a vRS instead… A car that I’m not willing to buy). Kindly understand that I do not name him or give a hint as to who he is with Skoda as I don’t want him to face music for having saved my back. Thank you, sir, you have given me fatherly advice and that too when you could’ve profited out of me, God bless such honest and caring souls as you, Sir ji!
5. Even MotorMom who is willing to buy me even an E Class if I don’t want to spend my own money on a car (I never have and would never accept her paying for a even just a tricycle for me as I know my father would be very ashamed of me if he was alive and I took money from any lady for anything) says that Skodas in India just don’t make sense anymore.
6. Skoda, India’s (not the dealers) business ethics, their lame@$$ A.S.S. and the cost of Skoda spares (kindly refer my earlier posts).
7. The final cut (and I must say this one was a knockout blow) came from this thread -> Click here!

Sadly, a Skoda will never find it's way to my garage. Goodbye, Skoda!
Old 2nd February 2006, 14:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

now that my name has come, I would just make one point (in addition to testifying boom's comment).
in how bad/good shape your vehicle is, depends on how u keep it. there is nothing like a bad car or a good car. it can only be a badly maintained car and well maintained car.

if you are saying that same person who had good experience with other cars had rattling and other problem with corola, then i may agree for further inspection.

but otherwise, I can say i have seen a pretty good corola just as well as u have seen a rattling one. (no pun intended, i have seen the same condition in other cars/bikes too, where owners have been solely responsible for the condition of the car. heck, one of my friends broke his key panel in 2 months with the way he used to insert the keys...... )
Old 2nd February 2006, 15:02   #103
BHPian

Hi,

I still trust skoda dealers...........

PJ
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:17   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Come sit in my 2003 Corolla and show me anything that rattles even though this car was being solely used for MotorMom before I sold my 2004 Scorpio two months ago and this car was never under my strict maintenance... Vivekiny2k is proof of this as he has sat in the car at low speeds and speeds over 140kmph (No music on) and mind you the car was serviced 6 months back and is due for service. Mind you, my office road was in the papers a few weeks ago for the bad shape it is in after the Chennai floods and this car travels that road almost 4-6 times a day and still not a single rattle..
Many of my friends own a corrola(instead of me telling them to go for Skoda but i know they too got scared of the that high maintainance) and all i can say is the minute they used to sit in my octavia ,their faces used to reveal the story .. I 've driven atleast 8-10 different corollas(mostly were under 10k on odo) and why go further i drive my friends(neighbour) corolla mostly everytime we meet(atleast four times a week) and i dont even need to ask him that how she is doing ... cos everytime i drive his car ,i could hear the rattles and road noise on rough roads (the car is only 8 months old and is driven mostly by him)and TBH i havent found/driven a single Corrola that has given me a feeling anywhere close to that feel of octavia(but i 've yet to try the new version ,so cant comment on that) and all those corrola owners(i am talking bout my delhi friends) accept this fact(some dont but deep inside i am sure they do) that their corrolas are not as good/solid ,rattle free when compared to the octavias or for that matter even the optras(there are some who owns the corrola and optra,both) ..

The best thing is to drive a octavia and corrola one more time and find out the difference .(both of us should give it one more try) and i am sure we would realise some more facts ..

Now dont get me wrong boom but the reason i said that the corrola is least best is .... as we all know there are four cars in the c+ or lower d segment, the octavia, optra ,elantra and corrola ..

We are all aware the VFM optra is and does evrything very right(NO rattles,hard ride ,road noise) .it just does everything so right .( i am sure all of us ll agree) ..

Now comes the elantra .. if this car was good to look at(interiors and exterior both) and wes not a Hyundai ,i would 've rated it one step ahead than the octavia .. It is one of those best VFM cars we could get in india but sadly its not doing too well .. culprit being the looks and the brand .. and since HMIL has reduced the prices ,it seems more attractive than ever and a fantastic VFM(espically that Crdi engine) ..

So now we are left with the corrola and Octavia respectively and enough has been said on these two .. Corrola surely beats octavia in one thing and that is the low cost maintainence .. So IMO(it may differ from yours) people who drive less should def go either for a corrola or optra but as i 've said many a times ,people who drive 70-90kms/day, Octavia 1.9tdi is the way to go and still if they feel the pinch that its high on their pockets and all , then i could only say one thing .. please sit down ,relax ,take a pen/pencil and a piece of paper and do a calculation .. I am sure it wont take much time for them to realise which one comes out to be cheapest amongst these and let me add that none of us know what exactly the new insurance policy is going to be like ,hence we need to compare the way things stand today ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
The ride and and noise levels have all been taken care of in the "so called" new Corolla
I m yet to drive the new facelifted corrola and i dont think its appropriate for me to comment anything on this before i take a test drive ..

PS: Do I say this because I own a Corolla? NO!... [/quote]

I highly appreciate your genuiness ..but let me take this opportunity to remind all you guys ,that i aint own a skoda anymore .. So theres no reason for me to support Skoda but at the same time ,i cant even lie about the facts i ve experienced ..
Old 2nd February 2006, 16:30   #105
BHPian

Having said all that ,i am too bored and tired(both) with this long going and never ending, extended discussion ..

Therefore ,i rest my case .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks