Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 11:11   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why? My Swift VDi has a black painted A pillar. Going by that logic, the RIII V&Z versions might have it. Even if it doesn't come with those, you have an option to do it aftermarket, not for much money as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
The blackened A-Piller does not go well with the design, IMO. While for Swift, due to the 'disconnected' A-piller-Roof the blackening makes perfect blending of the glass cockpit.
Cars with blackened A pillars have a particular design treatment where the windows (side+front) wrap-around like a goggles. Blackening is to make this effect seamless where the pillar should appear merged with the windows.

In this particular approach, the pillar doesn't flow from the roof-line.
Ex: Swift, fabia, Yeti.
In RIII the approach to A pillar is like in conventional design and will not look good in black.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:36   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But the reports which claim that the Suzuki R3 would try to eat in on the Toyota's pie or try to dethrone the Innova are baseless, as these two are meant for different target customers. The Innova would be the highway king and the R3 could be the most affordable and city friendly MPV for the families yet
It depends.

The R3, Mini-XYLO and the likes are sort of creating a new mini-MPV segment. But if the prices of the top end overlap with the Innova base, there will be some effect. Its my belief that these mini-MPV are primarily targetted toward families who need additional seating only once in a while.

Dethroning Innova? Well, thats some herculian task!!
Only Toyota is capable of that - remember Qualis?
Old 15th August 2011, 15:10   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Dethroning Innova? Well, thats some herculian task!!
Only Toyota is capable of that - remember Qualis?
In fact, to add to this, I feel that Toyota is already equipped to compete in this separate segment with its "Toyota Verso", which is a compact 7 seater already on sale in countries like the UK :

Toyota Verso Pictures | Verso Images & Gallery | Toyota UK NG Verso&deepLink=CV5_gallery_new&navType=Internal&sr =Mall

So this segment could see a fair bit of competition, if Toyota decides to play all its cards !
Old 15th August 2011, 16:32   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
In fact, to add to this, I feel that Toyota is already equipped to compete in this separate segment with its "Toyota Verso", which is a compact 7 seater already on sale in countries like the UK :

Toyota Verso Pictures | Verso Images & Gallery | Toyota UK NG Verso&deepLink=CV5_gallery_new&navType=Internal&sr =Mall

So this segment could see a fair bit of competition, if Toyota decides to play all its cards !
Well. At 3900mm, that is fairly compact and fit in for excise concessions! However it appears costly enough (10L+) to make sense for India. Nice vehicle though.
Old 15th August 2011, 18:51   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Well. At 3900mm, that is fairly compact and fit in for excise concessions! However it appears costly enough (10L+) to make sense for India. Nice vehicle though.
The car is speculated to come with a 1.4L K Series petrol motor which will make the tax concession criterion void. The petrol engine has to be below 1.2L for the concession along with sub 4m length.

Edit:: I have quite a lot of question marks on this product looking at some of the comments. But I will wait for the car to launch before taking any of those views. Some how I just cant really justify the comparos or prices or market positioning or even the dimensions.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th August 2011 at 18:54.
Old 19th August 2011, 19:42   #306
BANNED

Now that Swift Diesel is priced between 5.2 - 6.4L, I am wondering what will be the price of RIII Diesel! Will surely be in or above the 6.5 - 8L range.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:38   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

News comes in from Hormazd in the form of a tweet. RIII will be named as ERTIGA !

Quote:
A day for names; XUV500 a well kept secret by M&M) but leaks in Maruti.. RIII MPV to be called ERTIGA! Not sure what it means.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:54   #308
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down from me for the name - Companies seems to be running out of ideas as far as naming their new cars go. First the skoda "Lauretta" and now the Maruti "Ertiga", god knows what else is in store!

Even google didnt help me understand the meaning of this.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:04   #309
Senior - BHPian

Sounds horrible!!!! Just doesn't roll if the tongue.

The first thing I'd do if I bought one - de-badge the rear
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:08   #310
BHPian

Quote:
News comes in from Hormazd in the form of a tweet. RIII will be named as ERTIGA !
I think original name 'RIII' sounds good and purposeful. Concept vehicle with this name has already created the brand. Why change it to some obscure meaninglesss name?
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:14   #311
BANNED

Quote:
What the hell 'ERTIGA' means? May be a reshuffling of 'A TIGER'?

May be Maruti will be trying to replicate the 'EECO' story. I still don't know what 'EECO' means!

Leaving the name apart, everything seems OK and set for this car. Since the new Maruti plant at Manesar will be inaugurated in 1 or 2 days, production of this car may start very soon, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd September 2011 at 15:23.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:18   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

"Maruti Suzuki will name the R3 MPV as Ertiga. The word Ertiga doesn’t have any meaning according to the Oxford dictionary. Based on the Ritz platform, the Ertiga MPV is Maruti Suzuki’s rival to the Mahindra Xylo and Toyota Innova. Power will come through an all new K14 engine which will produce 95 BHP of power and 13 KGM of torque. The Fiat Multijet will do duty on the diesel Ertiga, with power of 89 BHP and 200 Nm of torque. Prices of the Ertiga are expected to start around Rs. 6.99 lakhs with the launch most likely to happen at the upcoming 2012 Auto Expo"

Maruti R3 MPV To Be Called Ertiga | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Cheers!
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:21   #313
Senior - BHPian

Hahah they beat Skoda for the title of worst named cars of the year !!
Imagine a guy who owns a Lauretta and a Ertiga
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:31   #314
BHPian

Tiga is an Indonesian Word which means "Three".

So RIII = Rtiga , They added an extra E to make it pronouncable.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:30   #315
BHPian

Folks, Does every car name need to have a meaning??

There are so many cars in the world who's name doesnt mean anything.

Its a Non living thing, i am really sorry to see many of us actually posting comments on the name of car, i guess because its an MSIL car !!!

Note - No offenses meant towards anybody, i just feel its a unmeaningfull task to discuss the meanings of car names.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed