Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 21:52   #406
BANNED

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

I hope Maruti gets in the 1.6 MJD in the Ertiga. This car will be a run away success.
Already Maruti has a long waiting for the Swift and Dzire, looks like Ertiga will be in line with them.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:16   #407
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

This product could eat into the sales of the Dzire itself. My cousin has put his Dzire purchase on hold, till he sees this product. I feel this could be the reason for Maruti to think of launching the compact version of the Dzire at a lower price point, to prevent cannibalisation of its overall sales

Wonder why the rear quarter pillar has been blackened in the test mule. Is it to keep the Row no. III of the R III closely guarded from public view ?

Last edited by mooza : 14th November 2011 at 08:18.
Old 14th November 2011, 09:25   #408
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

undoubtedly a good initiative in our country where the need for larger families plus luggage to travel in comfort with significant economy, far outweighs driving dynamics and power and drive-ability and so on.
am sure the R3 will give the urban dwellers a very good alternative to the innova, xylo and even the mini xylo.
if it does indeed (and Im sure it will) come with the 1.3MJD, then this can become a whole new target for the taxi operators.
Manufacturers like Renault and Skoda should consider launching their Berlingos and Roomsters and so on, to compete here with a daily multi usage, mass mover sort of vehicle.
Old 18th November 2011, 18:18   #409
BANNED

Source: Maruti to reveal SUV concept at Delhi show

"The Maruti executive added that the production model of the RIII - an MPV concept exhibited at the 2008 Delhi show will be launched at the 2012 event. The MPV will reach showrooms early in 2012."
Old 27th November 2011, 12:28   #410
Senior - BHPian

Assuming the Ertiga will be priced below the Xylo, my guess on the pricing is that the diesel version would start at Rs. 6.5 lakhs (Xylo starts at 7.25 lakhs), and consequently the petrol version at Rs. 5.5 lakhs.

But for the launch there could be a killer pricing even lower than this, as was the case while launching the Eeco
Old 27th November 2011, 15:49   #411
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
Assuming the Ertiga will be priced below the Xylo, my guess on the pricing is that the diesel version would start at Rs. 6.5 lakhs (Xylo starts at 7.25 lakhs), and consequently the petrol version at Rs. 5.5 lakhs.

But for the launch there could be a killer pricing even lower than this, as was the case while launching the Eeco
Eeco is killer-priced because its engine is a modified G-Series engine, and body panels are taken / modified from the Versa, and Maruti may have to pay only a small amount to Suzuki as royalty. That's not the case with Ertiga. The engines are the latest, and so should be the gearbox technology.

IMO, Suzuki is charging a huge amount as royalty for using their latest technologies (K and M-series Petrol engines, Multijet Diesel engines, latest gearbox technology used in their new gen cars etc) in Maruti cars. So, in effect, Maruti has to charge their cars with two extra costs - one portion for Suzuki's royalty and another portion for Maruti's profit. (Otherwise, why should SX4 cost 7+ Lakhs for the base variant, when a Rapid costs 6.75L?)
Old 29th November 2011, 12:57   #412
BANNED

Source:

Coming soon: Maruti's nano

"The country’s largest car maker is also planning a blitzkreig of new launches and to debut in the multi-utility vehicle (MUV) segment. This yet-to-be-named new vehicle, with seating capacity of up to seven people, will remain compact in dimensions and is expected to be the next big volume driver for the company. The MUV has been developed by Maruti’s Indian engineers with help from Suzuki’s research and development wing.

Sources said the vehicle was ready and would hit the local markets by March next year. Other MUVs currently in the market include the Mahindra Bolero and Tata Sumo. Maruti also plans to export the MUV.

The company will also bring a compact multi-purpose vehicle (MPV), popularly referred to as a van, in India. Christened ‘Ertiga’, the MPV will come with a diesel-cum-petrol engine.

Also on the anvil is a compact sport utility vehicle (SUV), a concept version of which will be unveiled in January, while the production version is expected to hit the market later. Apart from the ageing Gypsy, mostly used by the armed forces, Maruti does not have a product in this category."

Now I am fully confused. Are there two MPVs and one SUV on the way to Indian roads?
Old 30th November 2011, 15:03   #413
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu reports that "refusing to reveal the prices or launch date of Ertiga, Mr. Srivastava (Chief General Manager (Mktg)) said the compact MPV was being developed in collaboration with parent SMC's R & D Wing. It will be equipped with an all new 1.4 lt K14 VVT engine while the compact MPV will come with a 1.3 lt diesel engine."

He might be referring to the SUV in the first instance and the Ertiga in the second instance. Or, he might be referring to the Ertiga in both the instances - offering a petrol and a diesel engine - and that was just a PR error.

The MPV is being slotted into MUV segment and the details pertain to the Ertiga.

Repeated use of 'concept SUV' suggests that he was talking only about MPV and that the SUV details are still to be announced.

Indications are that the MPV will be priced higher in the Maruti line-up. The report says " with MPV Ertiga, we will be creating an all-new segment in the Indian auto industry. It would also announce our entry into the upper segment of cars where we are currently not a major player."

Last edited by simplyself : 30th November 2011 at 15:07.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:28   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
The Hindu reports that "refusing to reveal the prices or launch date of Ertiga, Mr. Srivastava (Chief General Manager (Mktg)) said the compact MPV was being developed in collaboration with parent SMC's R & D Wing. It will be equipped with an all new 1.4 lt K14 VVT engine while the compact MPV will come with a 1.3 lt diesel engine."

He might be referring to the SUV in the first instance and the Ertiga in the second instance. Or, he might be referring to the Ertiga in both the instances - offering a petrol and a diesel engine - and that was just a PR error.

The MPV is being slotted into MUV segment and the details pertain to the Ertiga.

Repeated use of 'concept SUV' suggests that he was talking only about MPV and that the SUV details are still to be announced.

Indications are that the MPV will be priced higher in the Maruti line-up. The report says " with MPV Ertiga, we will be creating an all-new segment in the Indian auto industry. It would also announce our entry into the upper segment of cars where we are currently not a major player."
Does he mean that the Ertiga will be priced higher than the SX 4, if that is the case I dont think there will be many takers for a Compact mpv because it will make it nearly at par with the Xylo and slightly less than the Innova. This cant be true I am sure they have brighter brains then this guy who will not let that happen.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:44   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Does he mean that the Ertiga will be priced higher than the SX 4, if that is the case I dont think there will be many takers for a Compact mpv because it will make it nearly at par with the Xylo and slightly less than the Innova. This cant be true I am sure they have brighter brains then this guy who will not let that happen.
I do not see a reason why ertiga cannot be priced close to Xylo / Sumo Gold. If its competing with the affordable MUV (Excuse Innova for price) it MUST be priced at par with xylo. Cabbies, the main customer in this segment would not really bother about passenger comfort.

SX4 sales would not be hampered as SX4 appeals to Sedan buyers and Ertiga to MPV buyers.

We have not seen many pictures of Maruti SUV doing rounds. I feel Maruti is still not up to the mark to service the premium market yet. Kizashi flop is a big example. Maruti is still perceived to be an "economy" brand among the masses. Maruti can forray into taxi segment as cabbies dont care for brand value. If i buy a 15 lacs SUV from Maruti, i would expect treatment on par with Mahindra XUV which may not be the case.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 30th November 2011 at 17:47.
Old 30th November 2011, 18:01   #416
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
It will be a disaster if Maruti prices Ertiga higher than SX4.

But IMO, Maruti has a nice strategy of pricing their cars according to the engine capacity. Lower capacity engined cars are priced lower than the high capacity models. In that way, a 1.4L engined Petrol Ertiga should be priced lower than the 1.6L engined Petrol SX4.

IMO, Maruti has to launch the SX4 hatch along with the Ertiga, and price it around the 6 - 8 lakh region. That will act as a small SUV and hatch at the same time.
Old 30th November 2011, 18:03   #417
Senior - BHPian

Alto k10 series : 3 lakhs
Ritz k12 series : 4.25 lakhs
Ertiga k14 series : 5.5 lakhs (my guesstimate)

The above price / size progression seems plausible to me, for the petrol versions. I still stand by my guesstimate of 5.5 lakhs for the base petrol version of Ertiga, till the launch at Auto expo reveals the truth
Old 30th November 2011, 23:35   #418
BHPian

Quote:

The above price / size progression seems plausible to me, for the petrol versions. I still stand by my guesstimate of 5.5 lakhs for the base petrol version of Ertiga, till the launch at Auto expo reveals the truth

I would so want an ertiga at that price !! I would even ignore the stupid disease name it has .
But aren't those figures a bit toooo(ooo) optimistic ?
Old 1st December 2011, 00:37   #419
BHPian

Quote:

At that price range Ertiga would be a "better" version of the Eeco? In addition, if Ertiga ends up being a < 4 meter in length then the legroom in the third row is anybody's guess. A 7-seater with 1.3 MJD - isn't it underpowered ? The fleet market might lap this up in big numbers, since they are least concerned about these 2 factors.

Note that Innova's 3rd row itself is not comfortable for adults. Inspite of it, people fork out 13L for it. Potential Innova buyers are the ones looking for a comfortable van ~10L. How many of those potential Innova customers will switch to Ertiga (just because it costs half the price) ? Thus Ertiga might create a new segment, but don't believe it'll be a Innova competitor. The upcoming Nissan NV200 might be one.

Last edited by andromeda : 1st December 2011 at 00:40.
Old 1st December 2011, 04:00   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Note that Innova's 3rd row itself is not comfortable for adults. Inspite of it, people fork out 13L for it. Potential Innova buyers are the ones looking for a comfortable van ~10L. How many of those potential Innova customers will switch to Ertiga (just because it costs half the price) ? Thus Ertiga might create a new segment, but don't believe it'll be a Innova competitor. The upcoming Nissan NV200 might be one.
Completely agree with you. I've never found the 3rd row in the Innova comfortable. I stand 6 feet tall and I could not sit for more than 1 hour continuously. If this new MPV from Maruti be smaller than the Innova in length, then it can be said that it has a very big boot space ideal for luggages.

Last edited by joe1980 : 1st December 2011 at 04:00. Reason: spelling error
Closed Thread

Most Viewed