Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 08:54   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
At a total length of of 4275mm, it may not be possible to release much legroom for the 3rd row, which will be adequate only for kids/passengers of short build.

This product will suit my needs, as I have a total of 4 adults and a couple of small kids in my family. If it drives like a car, I will put my money on the table, first day first show

I only hope it has a split folding option for the 3rd row seats, to have flexibility in stashing some luggage as well.

^^ Well, I have placed one of my previous posts above again, just to highlight what I feel is the market segment being targeted

Last edited by mooza : 1st December 2011 at 09:03.
Old 1st December 2011, 09:10   #422
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Does he mean that the Ertiga will be priced higher than the SX 4, if that is the case I dont think there will be many takers for a Compact mpv because it will make it nearly at par with the Xylo and slightly less than the Innova. This cant be true I am sure they have brighter brains then this guy who will not let that happen.
I think it was an error. A 1.3 ltr engine to compete with 2.5 ltr, bigger vehicles?
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:34   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I think it was an error. A 1.3 ltr engine to compete with 2.5 ltr, bigger vehicles?
It definetly does not make logic to compete with 2.2+ litrres with a 1.3 litre. They can tune it and strain the engine to be on par with 2.2s but the engine will lose its reliability and will need re-boring/overhaul in 80,000 kms at the max.
Old 2nd December 2011, 16:26   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It definetly does not make logic to compete with 2.2+ litrres with a 1.3 litre. They can tune it and strain the engine to be on par with 2.2s but the engine will lose its reliability and will need re-boring/overhaul in 80,000 kms at the max.

The (unconfirmed) 1.3L Diesel engine for Ertiga outputs 90bhp (same as SX4/Linea/Manza). This is not very far from the 102bhp output of 2.5L engine of Innova. Do you imply that making the 1.3L give out 90bhp compromises the reliability of the engine? Please do not think that I am finger pointing at your statement, I am just curious to know. If the 1.3L engine for Ertiga stays reliable and capable enough to carry the load of 7 people I will seriously consider buying one.
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:36   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
The (unconfirmed) 1.3L Diesel engine for Ertiga outputs 90bhp (same as SX4/Linea/Manza). This is not very far from the 102bhp output of 2.5L engine of Innova. Do you imply that making the 1.3L give out 90bhp compromises the reliability of the engine? Please do not think that I am finger pointing at your statement, I am just curious to know. If the 1.3L engine for Ertiga stays reliable and capable enough to carry the load of 7 people I will seriously consider buying one.
I'm sure that a 2.5L engine producing 102bhp is significantly more stress free than a 1.3L producing comparable output. Of course unless the 1.3L is quite technologically more advanced which means more expensive.
I think the 1.3L will find it hard to match the nature & reliability of a 2.5L engine under spirited driving with a load factor of 7.
Pitting the Ertiga against the Innova will not be a very wise strategy by MSIL and i doubt they will do so.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 2nd December 2011 at 17:38.
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:46   #426
BHPian

Its not the competition engines, which matter more..
Instead its the car's own kerb weight, specifications & load capabilities which determines the type of powerplant it demands.
IIRC, Ertiga is going to be based on Extended Ritz platform, which is again a Monocoque design & is much lighter than Chassis on Ladder frame design of Innova, Xylo, etc.
This design hugely saves on weight front, XUV500 is the prime example of this.

Coming to the point, Since Ertiga is based on Ritz & since its a Japanese Suzuki car, so its build & bodyshell won't a much tougher & heavier as compared to its rivals.
Even if the Ertiga weighs roughly equals to SX4, which clocks 0-100kmph in ~13.5 seconds, in its 90PS 1.3 Diesel avatar,
then why need a bigger engine for Ertiga then !

IMHO, Ertiga's weight won't exceed more than 1200-1300kgs & upto that weight 1.3 MjD(=DDiS) with VGT is the best option for Maruti Suzuki.
I don't see any place where its Reliability is going to be compromised.

1.3 MjD in Swift/Dzire is known to clock 3-3.5 lac kms with ease & without an overhaul, what if Ertiga clocks 2.5-3 lac kms, it won't be called a Un-Reliable engine even then.
CRtorquefan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:12   #427
Team-BHP Support

I think keeping all factors in mind (including the fact that the Innova is a bit overpriced), I believe the Ertiga should be priced cleanly a segment below the Innova (closer the SX4 price territory). I can't see anything more being justified.

While the product is an MUV, I believe its sweet spot is in addressing a price, internal space, external dimension, engine capacity etc point that sits below the Innova - i.e. compact MUV with its own advantages over a full blown MPV like the Innova.

Each will command its own customer base in that scenario with their distinct set of preferences or priorities.
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:22   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan
Even if the Ertiga weighs roughly equals to SX4, which clocks 0-100kmph in ~13.5 seconds, in its 90PS 1.3 Diesel avatar,
then why need a bigger engine for Ertiga then !

IMHO, Ertiga's weight won't exceed more than 1200-1300kgs & upto that weight 1.3 MjD(=DDiS) with VGT is the best option for Maruti Suzuki.
I don't see any place where its Reliability is going to be compromised.

1.3 MjD in Swift/Dzire is known to clock 3-3.5 lac kms with ease & without an overhaul, what if Ertiga clocks 2.5-3 lac kms, it won't be called a Un-Reliable engine even then.
Ertiga's kerb weight might be kept near SX4, but it's to be noted that it's a 7-seater. So the payload will be a significant addition to the kerb weight. Do you think maruti can specify/recommend a max loading capacity (# of of persons, total weight, etc) for optimum/reliable use of the car :-)

Fully loaded, the Ertiga might feel underpowered (which is not a factor the taxi segment). Will be interesting to know if this engine is being used in any minivan outside India.
Old 2nd December 2011, 21:11   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Ertiga's kerb weight might be kept near SX4, but it's to be noted that it's a 7-seater. So the payload will be a significant addition to the kerb weight. Do you think maruti can specify/recommend a max loading capacity (# of of persons, total weight, etc) for optimum/reliable use of the car :-)
IMHO, Overall GVW for Ertiga will be specified nearly around SX4 or nearby it, as while counting the GVW of SX4, weight of & in its boot also need to be taken care off.
So, lets suppose 120-150kgs for the massive(~450litres) boot space of the latter & the same in Ertiga is replaced with tiny last row of seats, which can accommodate not more than 2 average sized passengers weighing ~150-160kgs or even lighter kids.
So, additional weight might not pose mush significant effect on its Engine.

But, even its interesting, how MSIL will tune the 1.3 MjD engine in it, as Esteem's 1.3 G13B petrol was also differently tuned in Versa as compared to Esteem, as was having the burden to lug more passenger weight & Dual Air-Cons in Versa DX/SDX versions & IIRC, its Fuel efficiency was considerably lower than Sedan.
From the same references, I'm expecting 18.5kmpl ARAI figures for Ertiga DDiS as compared to 21.5kmpl of SX4 DDiS Super Turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
Will be interesting to know if this engine is being used in any minivan outside India.
I don't think so.
Infact its a very interesting question.
IMHO, this transition will make hardly any difference for 1.3 Multijet engine, as Ertiga is going to be Front wheel Drive, like other passenger cars.
While Rear Wheel application adds up to the gearbox complications & differential losses.
But again, One interesting fact comes into the picture, as Premier Rio(which is a Rear wheel driven car) is soon going to be powered by the same 1.3 MjD engine from FIAT.
So, interesting facts/results will come into the picture, after its launch.

Last edited by CRtorquefan : 2nd December 2011 at 21:13. Reason: Text editing
Old 3rd December 2011, 21:50   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
But again, One interesting fact comes into the picture, as Premier Rio(which is a Rear wheel driven car) is soon going to be powered by the same 1.3 MjD engine from FIAT.
So, interesting facts/results will come into the picture, after its launch.
So.
We can hope for it in the Eeco?
Then i wouldn't be surprised if IT becomes India's top selling car.
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:03   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So.
We can hope for it in the Eeco?
Interesting assumption.
But there're Remote chances of getting it true, considering the fact that MSIL is having very much Production & Supply constraints of this 1.3 MjD/DDiS engine & it is one of the 'Weak link' in the short supplies of their current Diesel engined cars(Swift/Dzire).
To cover this, MSIL recently(a day before) have done an agreement to purchase Readymade 1,00,000 Multijet engines from FIAT India.
Old 6th December 2011, 10:05   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki plans to take CKD route to other Asian markets!

"Ertiga, a seven-seater MPV which will be available in 1.4 litre petrol and 1.3 litre multijet diesel engine options, will be initially shipped to Indonesia and later to Thailand. The CKD kits will include critical parts, such as engine and transmission, fuel tank, wheel rim, brakes, parts of suspension and steering that will be sealed and dispatched from the company's Manesar plant."

Cheers!
Old 7th December 2011, 21:27   #433
BANNED

Source: Business Line : Companies News : Maruti looks to retain lead with entry into MPV, SUV segments

“The MPV will try to address issues customers have with other products in the market, such as drivability, price, looks and bulkiness. It will be a global unveiling. We're looking at upgrades from premium hatch segment, apart from SUV and sedan buyers,” Mr Srivastava said.
Old 7th December 2011, 22:15   #434
BHPian

I spotted the Ertiga today around 11 am at Adhchini, New Delhi. The car was completely covered with black matt stickers. The car had HR26 registration.

The car looked like an estate version of Ritz, I got a chance to peek at the interiors, they were exactly same as the new swift but in Beige.

Here are the pics I took, apologies for the bad quality.

SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-07122011545wm.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-07122011546wm.jpg

SCOOP Pics! Maruti Suzuki's new 7 seater MPV Ertiga *UPDATE* Spotted again Pg.29,30-07122011547wm.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th December 2011 at 23:43. Reason: Watermarked the pics. Thanks for sharing
revved_up is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 22:39   #435
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Good Catch Revved_up.

The car looks small and this can be seen in the third pic where the Ertiga next to a Fluidic. I am not sure how it can be pitched against the Innova.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks