Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:19   #91
BHPian

Re: May 2011 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Hey GTO,

I know that when coming from your side there can be no mistake. But are you sure that this is not a typo? Shouldn't this be 370?

PS: Please check the above and let us know.
370 seemed way too high number, just checked Tata's May sales numbers and its 37 only! Actually it does not mentioned these numbers exclusively, but GTO's breakup helped me to confirm it. They listed the total number for the Passenger vehicle segment.

iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:54   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Pajero selling more than Captiva,SanteFe that too in BS3 market?
Pajero is now (finally) available in BSIV trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
HM might as well close down. I fail to understand how they manage to make ends meet!
They barely do; refer to the thread which speaks of HM reporting to the BIFR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
FIAT India's monthly volume seems to have settled at 2000+ for the time being.

Linea seems to be the least-affected and ANHC the worst-affected due to Vento and ANHV effect.
There is a good and a bad side to that; the good = Fiat has its own share of loyalists, fans and dudes who appreciate the ride & handling enough to plonk their money on a Fiat. The bad = This category of customer forms a very small % of the mass market...the same mass market that doesn't want to touch a Fiat with a barge pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
If we see the past monthly sales of Gypsy King for several months, there seems to be a boost in sales number. Anybody has any idea why is it so?
Army order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
I know that when coming from your side there can be no mistake. But are you sure that this is not a typo? Shouldn't this be 370?
No error. Indeed, the Aria is already a market dud. The first point of my review says its overpriced. Obviously, the market thinks so. In a way, the Aria worked as a guinea pig for the Mahindra W201, which will now inevitably be priced well.

The only way forward for the Aria is a price cut, cheap 2WD variant or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Etios cannot be counted as a C segment sedan. It neither has the features of C segment nor is it priced on par.
I could argue by saying that the Etios is more spacious than all 10 lakh rupee sedans (save for the Manza), and has excellent acceleration / performance for the segment. Some of us look beyond features. I'd even pick the Etios over some more expensive sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Apart from Honda, which is widely discussed, one manufacturer who should be really worried will be Tata. Their JLR performance apart, there is nothing much to cheer on the domestic front.
True. JLR contributed like 80% of Tata Motor's profits!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:26   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I don't know why people speak so ill about Honda City. Why don't people understand that a car available only in petrol, overpriced, suffering from petrol prices, suffering from recent recall, production cut etcetera and etcetera is still managing to sell nearly 2000 units every month. If petrol + diesel break up is available for SX4, Vento and others then I am sure this one would be still number one selling.
I agree that City is a fabulous car whose qualities should be beyond any doubt - its too good to be written off , in more ways than one its still the benchmark of the segment. However it's being targetted by equal or better equipped products so Honda has to understand that apart from die-hards no one would be willing to pay the steep premium , more so when financing is costlier . It has to climb down from its high ground and start offering more value in terms of equipments, pricing and upgrade - I believe that its already happening which is good news !
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
It has to climb down from its high ground and start offering more value in terms of equipments, pricing and upgrade - I believe that its already happening which is good news !
+1, Honda has to realize that they make cars for all public and not for select Honda die-hard fans or enthusiasts. They are now offering quite heavy discounts now days to push its sales. Actually there is something wrong with Honda marketing department also; I see no advertisement on TV/Newspaper despite of low sales.

But one thing I am still insisting on is this that reason for low sales of Honda city is not because it is just overpriced, lots of others factors also added to her woes. First one was Vento, second one was the recall of such massive numbers, third one was Production cut, and fourth one is increasing petrol prices etcetera.
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:35   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Fluidic Verna is off the blocks with a bang! Great job by Hyundai. (I don't know why everyone seems to refer to the car as the ANHV when FV is so much more convenient!)

Nice enough job by VW on the Passat too: 184 despite long waiting periods. All that IPL advertising will bear fruit in June& July sales, am sure.

Aria selling 37 units is sad and a little funny at the same time. What were Tata thinking? It could well be the Edsel of the Indian auto industry.
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:35   #96
Senior - BHPian

I didn't say the city was old. I said it is getting "older"
You see most folks prefer to go in for a new launch, cause it's something fresh and exciting.
Considering all this i feel the city sales are not too bad.
Look at the vento with 2403 units which has a diesel to aid sales too.
the city at 1828 isn't too far off.
The City in April 2011 sold only 1542. So May has been better for Honda
Plus we must consider the fact that Honda products were affected due to the Quake. Folks are looking for 2 things today ~ VFM & Diesel engines.
Very few manufacturers are able to provide both.
The city isn't going to get a diesel anytime soon. So the least Honda can do is kit it out better. IMHO this will help sales.

Last edited by mdsaab : 2nd June 2011 at 20:43.
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:44   #97
BHPian

Hi there just have a question regarding the 1000+ order of the gypsy in may and the last couple of months where the gypsy has been consistently selling 500+ units per month.

Does the sales figure include army orders as well or is this list of monthly car sales strictly civilian purchase figures?
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:47   #98
Senior - BHPian

What is ticking the 6K+ numbers for Santro. Is it the most logical choice for the first time buyers. Or is this sales more in the Tier 2/3/4 cities which is bringing such a volume.

When was the last time this model got a face lift?
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:57   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania

4. HM might as well close down. I fail to understand how they manage to make ends meet!
You can make an Educated Guess. Where do you think taxpayers' money goes?

On a more serious note, the Verna Fluidic has made a brilliant debut. Honda's production is back on stream yet they are low in sales... Due to high cost & low vfm?
Wonder why the Nano has gone down. Broadly All hatch sales are lower but look at the Swift's figures! Still worth its salt!
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:14   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Honda City was launched in Oct. 2008, generally people refer it as 2009 Honda City. So that's just over 2 + year old and I am too surprised how people call it old. Maruti Alto/800 is over aged and still selling. Even SX4 is wearing 4 + year old design.
Thats exactly what I wanted to say bluevolt. Honda City is not old in model year terms but people consider it old already.

When i gave more thought to this I feel that when people say city is old they mean this compared to other competitors
Say
Verna - Fluidic Verna got launched now. So NEW!
Vento (less than 6months in the market) So NEW
SX4 - got another diesel version before it started selling so much. So NEW!
Even Fiat for one came up with Linea T Jet

Also in the last 2 years that City sold it sold so many that people feel that it has been selling forever.

I think being old is basically a perception and need not be quantitative.
Old 2nd June 2011, 21:32   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Thats exactly what I wanted to say bluevolt. Honda City is not old in model year terms but people consider it old already.
Also in the last 2 years that City sold it sold so many that people feel that it has been selling forever.

I think being old is basically a perception and need not be quantitative.
Actually City is also a new car just six month old. They launched the "Exclusive" Model during Diwali.

And it was launched after Vento, so that means Vento is old now.

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd June 2011 at 21:35.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:33   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Actually City is also a new car just six month old. They launched the "Exclusive" Model during Diwali.

And it was launched after Vento, so that means Vento is old now.

When Fiat brought out Tjet, they put in some marketing efforts. So many of us knew.
When was Exclusive came out was there anything like that ?
Did I miss it ? :(
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:34   #103
BHPian

An interesting observation by fellow members about Punto + Linea > Jazz + City makes me think that surely, Fiat does have the financial muscle to go all out on its own.

With exclusive showrooms, model refreshments, a couple of new launches, and Fiat can see its sales double up easily.

Plus, one thing that is slightly overlooked on Fiat's numbers is that they do well even when SX4 diesel and Swift diesel and the countless other diesels do well, as the provider for the national diesel engine for India, the MJD 1.3. Perhaps thats the reason for complacency?
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:42   #104
oss
BHPian

Mitsu Outlander consistently outsells Honda CRV, inspite of all the brand/service issues facing Mitsu/HM in India. Wonder what Honda is thinking, if at all they are concerned about their declining sales in India across all segments.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:07   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
When was Exclusive came out was there anything like that ?
Did I miss it ? :(
Exclusive model was launched during diwali under Great Honda fest scheme. There was advertisement in print media but not on television. Honda didn't marketed this variant too heavily for unknown reasons.

PS - Very sorry for going off topic.

Last edited by bluevolt : 2nd June 2011 at 23:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed