Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy car with platform/chassie/engine from other manufacturer?
Yes 22 91.67%
No 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2006, 19:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would you buy car with platform/chassie/engine from other manufacturer?

Saw this point being made in another topic. (Link) So i thought I would start new thread.

Would you mind buying a car which has chassis/engine shared with some other manufacturers car?

Personally for me it doesn't make difference, as long as the manufacturer selling gives warranty and/or service on chassis/engine (which they do)
I haven't heard about a case where manufacturer who is sharing engine says we will support everything but engine which you go & service at manufacturer who designed it.
Old 30th January 2006, 19:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Let me put it this way. Would you rather buy a Fiat Palio with a brilliant engine, or a Maruti Swift with the same briiliant engine?

I'd pick the Swift in my sleep...
Old 30th January 2006, 19:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

People wouldn't buy a Fiat JTd over a Suzuki JTD because Fiat is in bad shape in India. That seems to be the assumption behind every reply. Forget Fiat and MUL and JTD. They are not the only companies sharing technology, platfroms and what not. Also, everyone assumes that one company is in bad shape and service back up is pathetic while the other is No. 1 in service quality. This questions needs to be asked and answered in a neutral environment. So here goes:

Two companies sharing engines/chassis etc on their cars. Both have high sales, both are equally good in service back up, both have good resale values blah blah blah. What would you choose then?

Let's get out of the frog in a well attitude here. Imagine that you are living in Europe and you have to choose between the new Fiat Grande Punto and the new Opel Corsa. Now what would you buy?

Last edited by amit : 30th January 2006 at 19:36.
Old 30th January 2006, 21:01   #4
BHPian

Isn't that already being done (may not be in India)?
Some Ford, Mazda & Renault cars in Europe use same engine that is manufactured in Spain.
Old 31st January 2006, 01:16   #5
BANNED

If it turned out to be safe and worked for my benefit, I surely would. In today's date, how many cars are actually exclusive? Also, cars are even being sold under different brand names in different countries. Just two small examples
1. Daewoo Nubira or whatever is sold as Chevrolet Optra in India.
2. The Jaguar X Type and Ford Mondeo share parts.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 31st January 2006 at 01:19.
Old 31st January 2006, 06:27   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yes why not. I will pick up the Swift JTD without second thoughts.
Old 31st January 2006, 06:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

The VW Golf, Lupo, Fox, Audi A3, TT, Skoda Octavia and Combi all use one floorpan......how about that?

The Enzo and the MC12 are the same, except the Mc12's engine is slightly detuned and its handling is different, and of course the bodywork......
Old 31st January 2006, 06:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The VW Golf, Lupo, Fox, Audi A3, TT, Skoda Octavia and Combi all use one floorpan
So does the Seat Leon.

The Polo and Fabia use the same platform too. VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne and Audi Q7. Honda Civic, Honda CR-V and Acura CSX, Honda Accord and Acura TSX, Toyota Camry and Camry Solora, Fiat Sedicci and that suzuki SUv and now we are waiting for the Ford KA and Fiat small car. This whole platform sharing thing runs pretty deep and murky!
Old 31st January 2006, 11:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

but the frog in well issue needs clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Let's get out of the frog in a well attitude here. Imagine that you are living in Europe and you have to choose between the new Fiat Grande Punto and the new Opel Corsa. Now what would you buy?
Fiat is #6 in Europe with a 6% market share, most of which comes from Italy (28% of that market). This is argueably its strongest market (1.1 million out of its 1.7 million deliveries come from WESTERN Europe) as it is practically unknown in most others (except maybe Brazil).

The "well" in this case is Western Europe, and more specifically Italy. Not the rest of the world.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st January 2006 at 11:52.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:41   #10
BHPian

Unless your car is handcrafted most of today's cars share something or the other with some other car from a different manufacturer.
So I voted Yes, coz frankly its immaterial.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33

Personally for me it doesn't make difference, as long as the manufacturer selling gives warranty and/or service on chassis/engine (which they do)
I haven't heard about a case where manufacturer who is sharing engine says we will support everything but engine which you go & service at manufacturer who designed it.
It doesn't make difference to me either.. You Said It..
Old 31st January 2006, 17:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
frog in well issue needs clarification
For most people platform/engine sharing is between MUL Swift and Fiat JTD. We need to stop thinking like Americans for whom the world starts and ends in the USA. Hopfully the frog in the well attitude is now clear. To make it more clear:

Quote:
Forget Fiat and MUL and JTD. They are not the only companies sharing technology, platfroms and what not.
Another assumption that somehow always is made is platform sharing happens between two companies one of which is struggling and the other is flying high.

Last edited by amit : 31st January 2006 at 17:31.
Old 31st January 2006, 18:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Lets rephrase the question...

Ok, let me go off at a tangent here. Recently one of my friends who owns a Zen Di was approached by a Tata dealer. They suggested him to swap his 3 years old car for a Tata. Their logic was as it is Maruti has withdrawn from the diesel market. Their service guys do not give much "tawajjo" (weightage) to diesel hatch owners. Once the JTD is launched you will be in an even more dire situation.

Now I do not give two hoots for such ambush marketing, but the question is once Maruti comes up with the JTD how much support the older diesels get? Considering that the JTD will be made by Maruti and hence their "own"? Now extend that a bit... day after if Maruti forms a newer alliance in diesel and ditches JTD as well (or say Fiat collapses world over and hence Maruti stops making/supporting JTD) what happens to the JTD owners?

Now, is their a risk in buying a car whose one or more major components are made by some other company? Particularly if that other company happens to be an ailing one?
Old 31st January 2006, 19:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

Zappo, even if Fiat collapses as you say, it shouldn't matter to Maruti since they will already have JTD engines churned out from their factories. Once the technology is transferred, it shouldn't matter really. Of course, they may not get new enhancements to the engine, but that should not stop Maruti from supporting the end customers. Maruti dealers may not be offering great service for diesel mainly because there are not many Diesel Zens in the market.

Regarding auto components, most of the components are sourced from vendors/contractors, so it's nothing new.

Last edited by RX135 : 31st January 2006 at 19:06.
Old 5th February 2006, 01:33   #15
BHPian

Giving this topic another point of view... Looking at it from out of the box... Does it really matter who is the manufacturer of the chasis/engine/body etcc.... any which way most parts of cars are being out sourced from vendors which are at times common suppliers to many diff. car companies... so if this is the situation then anyways u can never claim that the parts belong to one company.. Like VAG shares parts between their companies like VW Audi Seat Skoda Porsche... Its just a cost saving mechanism and way towards standardisation leading to maximising production... Lets consider Forging companies .. they supply engine blocks to 2-3 auto companies even tho the specs are different the basic technology is the same and hence does it really matter as long as we get the best of the Technology Available as of TODAY...
And talking about technologies like JTD and Fiat going turtle back... Well at some point in time JTD technology is going to become old and something new is gonna come.. so then why wud u wanna stay stuck with old stuff.. How many of us wud still wanna have carburated engines when we know that MPFI is more efficient and powerful...
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks