Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 12:03   #16
BHPian

re: Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6

IMHO, it looks a million times better than the old Indigo and the Dzire. Its got a coupe-ish kind of look. Let's see the real car and decide which is best.
Old 1st May 2011, 09:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6

On a casual drive off the GST Road in Chennai yesterday evening, I spotted this all-new Nissan Sunny/Versa sedan parked with minimum camouflage. Though the taillamps and boot lip look similar to Swift Dzire, its apparent that Nissan has managed to do a much better job with the integration of boot unlike the former.

The other attractive elements include delicious looking alloys and the chrome surround over the front grille. Overall, there is nothing catchy nor offensive about the car's design. But, compared to stunning looking competitors like the Fiat Linea and Hyundai Verna, the Sunny definitely has to play catch-up in design.

The interiors too were very similar to the American version with the slab-like center console taking prime place. Having equipped the Micra with a slew of segment-first features, we can expect Nissan to do the same with the Sunny too. But, will it be enough for Nissan to shake up the segment? Let's wait and see.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6-image1841.jpg  

Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6-image1842.jpg  

Scoop: Nissan V platform sedan "sunny" caught testing;*UPDATE* More Pics on Pg.6-image1843.jpg  

arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 11:21   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Good catch there.

This car seems longer than dzire. Does this car belong to the Dzire segment or the segment above. Also looks like its got 15 inch alloys and the design seems good
Old 1st May 2011, 19:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Good catch there.

This car seems longer than dzire. Does this car belong to the Dzire segment or the segment above. Also looks like its got 15 inch alloys and the design seems good
This car sure belongs to a segment above Dzire and will compete with Honda City, VW Vento, New Verna and New Fiesta. But, I guess we can expect lower priced variants to go head-to-head with Dzire and Etios as well.
Old 1st May 2011, 21:26   #20
e46
BHPian

Quote:
Good catch there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
This car sure belongs to a segment above Dzire and will compete with Honda City, VW Vento, New Verna and New Fiesta. But, I guess we can expect lower priced variants to go head-to-head with Dzire and Etios as well.
Nissan would be wrong if they think of pitching this car, a segment above Dzire/ manza. The overall image of this brand, along with the not-so-inspiring rear end would not warrant a success, if they put it above Dzire.

I would advise Nissan to put it at a max. premium of 10k trim by trim compared to Manza/ Dzire.

Abhi
Old 1st May 2011, 22:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

The alloys look very good, though I think they're 14 inches and not 15. The car looks pretty good, but still not good enough to take on the segment above the Dezire and Manza. The looks won't hold a candle for the City or the upcoming Verna or The Fiesta or the Vento. The archaic, 1.5L Renault sourced diesel engine would not help either!
Old 1st May 2011, 22:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere, but the sunny badge is confusing - there are actually 2 lines of Sunny. One line which is being sold as Sentra in US competes in the civic / corolla segment. Other line which is the Nissan pulsar line is sold in Singapore , Malaysia etc and also in US as the versa (which is one segment below the sentra).

Welcome move by Nissan through - now only if it prices this sensibly unlike the Teana!
Old 1st May 2011, 23:08   #23
BHPian

I wouldn't think so.If a 1.4 L diesel can be sold in India for 13 odd lakhs, then 1.5 could do well (we don't know the specs yet . do we?). All depends on the price point and the tuning of the engine. Nissan isn't too bad with cars either. Looking at the sheer size of it, I think Nissan is going to place it as D segment car. Even if we compute the sheet metel expenditure, it will be more than Dezire.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Good catch there.

+1 The first thing that struck me was the sheer size of the thing. Looks rather loooong. IMHO, this sedan looks good. It won't turn away people and that is saying something.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
I wouldn't think so.If a 1.4 L diesel can be sold in India for 13 odd lakhs, then 1.5 could do well (we don't know the specs yet . do we?). All depends on the price point and the tuning of the engine. Nissan isn't too bad with cars either. Looking at the sheer size of it, I think Nissan is going to place it as D segment car. Even if we compute the sheet metel expenditure, it will be more than Dezire.
And since the next Dezire is going the Indigo CS way by tucking itself under the 4m lenght, I think we should actually be comparing it with the Manza and maybe the Etios.
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:14   #26
BHPian

Going by the size of this thing, I dont think this is going to be pitted against DZire/Manza/Etios. My guess is, this is going to be competing with the ANHV/NFS
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Going by the size of this thing, I dont think this is going to be pitted against DZire/Manza/Etios. My guess is, this is going to be competing with the ANHV/NFS
Ya, that is what I am thinking too. In fact, in other markets like USA, the Nissan Sunny (Versa there) is competing with the Hyundai Accent (Verna here). So, in all probability, Nissan will pit this against Verna/Vento/City/Linea.

But the biggest problem is with the car's design. It just can't hold a candle to the aforementioned cars, let alone compete with them on design and coming out on tops.
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

It appears as if both Dezire and Sunny are twin siblings. If not born out of a same design philosophy.
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Ya, that is what I am thinking too. In fact, in other markets like USA, the Nissan Sunny (Versa there) is competing with the Hyundai Accent (Verna here). So, in all probability, Nissan will pit this against Verna/Vento/City/Linea.

But the biggest problem is with the car's design. It just can't hold a candle to the aforementioned cars, let alone compete with them on design and coming out on tops.
+1. This car is too big for Dzire, Manza category. It will definitely compete with the Verna,Vento,City, Linea.

Price will be a key for Nissan here - look wise its more like the Vento - simple and elegant - nothing flashy. IMO flashy designs tend to age and go out of style rapidly. I personally love the Vento/Versa type subtle looks, ageless!.

Last edited by SunilM : 2nd May 2011 at 19:46.
Old 2nd May 2011, 21:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

An article about the Micra based sedan from indianautosblog.com
Spied Again: Nissan Sunny Sedan | Indian Autos blog

Some important points from the article:
The top-end model must come with airbags, climate control, ABS, rear AC vent, etc.
The car could be renamed "Almera"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed