Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 12:36   #31
BHPian

Re: OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted

My request, do not humiliate a car which every living Indian had some respect (being the PM's ex-vehicle). I still remember the first time i sloted a gear was in an Amby, (my first drive was backwards!!!), many of us have sweet memories like these. Your actions are a disgrace to a legend.

The great minds at HM need a reality check. They seem to be of 'locked-in-lab' kinds!

DAMN U HM!
Old 9th June 2011, 13:26   #32
BHPian

@Aragorn - Oh! I didnt know about that problem. Thanks for clearing that out. And FWD and RWD never crossed my mind, loose talk from my end, Sorry.
Though what I meant was a rebirth of sorts. If they can do that then the current sales suggest they can sell a few though sooner or later the Amby will have to go.
Old 9th June 2011, 18:52   #33
BHPian

Guys, is HM a Govt held company or a corporation or something of the sorts? I cannot imagine a privately held company committing such blunders. I feel someone should buy them off and revive the legendary Amby..
Old 9th June 2011, 19:07   #34
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2011 at 00:05.
Old 9th June 2011, 19:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

All thanks to HM who are fast becoming the most hilarious automaker around! As Indians, most of us have a special connection with the Amby and what it used to be. But it appears that HM is trying its best and then some more to get us to un-like the Ambassador and tarnish its legacy for good.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2011 at 00:05. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 9th June 2011, 20:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

HM's next great idea would be to bring in a competitor to the TATA Xenon and Scorpio Getaway by modifying the cab.
Call it HM lifestyle.
Remember HM had a drive away chassis once for customers to build to their own taste and style.
My advice to HM is to re-introduce the Land Master.

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th June 2011 at 20:25.
Old 9th June 2011, 20:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
If they downsize the engine to 1400CC (tax benefits) still it would be powerful enough because the chopped tail will reduce the weight.

Am I beginning to think like an HM R&D engineer?
the 1400cc engine might pull the dry weight but not if it is laden. In a country where Tata Ace carries over one tonne (sometimes 2tonnes) (Tata Ace is designed for a laden weight of 700kgs only) amby pickup will definitely be expected to carry huge loads. Oh this is when someone actually buys it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What next, a mini-bus based on the Ambassador? A 4x4? An ambulance? If anyone had to tell me of an Amby pickup without pictures, I'd think he was joking.
In fact HM has a RTV (rural transport vehicle) that was used as an ambulance in some places. I think the chassis is from RTV (raised platform even with smaller set of wheels) the front is inspired from Amby and the loading bay looks like it is from the tata 207. Voila! they got all the mediocre bits for the Amby pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
All thanks to HM who are fast becoming the most hilarious automaker around! As Indians, most of us have a special connection with the Amby and what it used to be. But it appears that HM is trying its best and then some more to get us to un-like the Ambassador and tarnish its legacy for good.
boy! they are hilarious with their no brain attitude towards car making.
Only thing I can say here in positive is the AC is going to be good(if there is one) since the cabin area is small
WAY OUT
  • Plonk the Pajero Engine (even this cannot be sold in the Metros now )
  • Give the car to a design house to design good interiors (chromy round retro design as much as possible )
  • Lower the loading bay
  • Give snazzy paint job to enhance the retro look.

And market it as a lifestyle vehicle and modification friendly for those who want to make a statement.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:54   #38
BHPian

some practical joke right? this sort of things couldn't possibly be true?!
Old 9th June 2011, 23:15   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the scoop Zalaps. The white Ambassador must have come to ARAI as the best friend of the mini truck.
Again HM is waking up from its slumber feeling that it should have a pie in the huge mini truck market.
My God what an outdated technology they are using? I am sure the engine with be the 1500DSL conforming to the Bharat "n" Stage norms.
The front and the rear parts are totally not in sync with one another.The rear appears crudely designed, with only commercial interests taken care of. The tail lights are a turn off and not all all meant for such a classic design. After all it is a commercial vehicle so that's a compulsion I believe! But see these pictures -Its the Morris Oxford Series II pick-up from the early 1950's.The car was the Landmaster for us.
OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted. EDIT : Launched as the Veer!-scan0001.jpg

OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted. EDIT : Launched as the Veer!-scan0002.jpg
Picture source: Quality First (MCOIC Owners Journal, Oxford , UK)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th June 2011 at 23:20.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 06:48   #40
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
In fact HM has a RTV (rural transport vehicle) that was used as an ambulance in some places. I think the chassis is from RTV (raised platform even with smaller set of wheels) the front is inspired from Amby and the loading bay looks like it is from the tata 207. Voila! they got all the mediocre bits for the Amby pickup.

Plonk the Pajero Engine (even this cannot be sold in the Metros now

And market it as a lifestyle vehicle and modification friendly for those who want to make a statement.
Infact RTV was used for office goers in Delhi as chartered vehicles. It used their HM trekker diesel engine.

Infact they can also use the Izuzu 2.0 Diesel where HM is well accustomed with.

The main problem is the lacklustre design, fit and finish.
Old 10th June 2011, 06:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
-Its the Morris Oxford Series II pick-up from the early 1950's.The car was the Landmaster for us.
Take a close look. This Landmaster big brother has Ambassador dash board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Infact RTV was used for office goers in Delhi as chartered vehicles. It used their HM trekker diesel engine.

Infact they can also use the Izuzu 2.0 Diesel where HM is well accustomed with.
The RTVs came with Isuzu engines and not BMC origin HM 1500 diesels.

Last edited by rajeev k : 10th June 2011 at 06:58.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:31   #42
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

The RTVs came with Isuzu engines and not BMC origin HM 1500 diesels.
Thanks for getting that right. I think it used CNG for Metro markets, 2.0 litre Isuzu diesel for passenger pickup and 3 litre simpson diesel engines for goods transport.
Old 10th June 2011, 07:44   #43
BHPian

What a useless contraption! but maybe it has a use for the politicians making it easier to carry trunkloads of cash from the scam deals they do. There are so many as it is, politicians I mean and corrupt ones, perhaps enough to launch a model for. I would love to see one of these with a Lal Batti.
zipperone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2011, 20:15   #44
BHPian

Dear God! What on earth are the guys at HM upto? The Amby was the car I learnt to drive. It was my first car too! The Morris oxford pickup photograoh reproduced by anjan c2007 looks cool and retro. The least the HM people could do was use that as a basic design.
The ambassidor is a legend! The HM people are converting it into a horror story and are doing a very good job of it.
Regards,
Ashok
Old 10th June 2011, 21:49   #45
BHPian

The Amby is a modern classic, and HM should realize that it cannot be a mass market product for the automaker, irrespective of the permutations and combinations it does with the basic model. It has to introduce a new product. As far as the pick-up goes, I fail to understand why did not the designers put in a little more effort to make it appealing. HM could have made quite a stir in the Indian pick-up segment had it focused on the design aspect of the truck and made it look real retro as pointed out by so many fellow Tbhp-ians. A rectangular box on a curvy car, no sir!

Most Viewed