Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:14   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted

Thanks for sharing the scoop, Zalaps! I have moved your post to a new thread.

HM has really done an OMG modification to the Ambassador...my eyes are watery after seeing this contraption. What next, a mini-bus based on the Ambassador? A 4x4? An ambulance? If anyone had to tell me of an Amby pickup without pictures, I'd think he was joking.

I can understand a Tata wanting to create different variants off a modern platform (Vista, Manza, Estate and whatever). But a jugaad pickup truck based on an ancient 60 year old chassis? Damn, what kind of jokers fill HM offices? No wonder the company lost 50% of their networth in 4 years (Linky). I'm just wondering if the remaining 50% is worth anything at all.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
But on a different note, I would have actually liked a Conti based pickup.
That would be intresting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If anyone had to tell me of an Amby pickup without pictures, I'd think he was joking.
I still think some one is joking. And would not have been surprised to see this in the W&W mod thread .. or even the Official jokes thread
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hats off to HM for slogging it out in such a fiercely competitive automobile market.
I would give it to them for atleast coming out with a different versions of the same 50 year old platform. Otherwise this thread wouldn't have existed and there would have been no other new opportunity to bash HM. Looks like even they are bored of their 3 box version of the Amby.

But on the positive side, look at the conistency with which they have continued to produce and support such a medieval age product well into 21st century. Which other manufacturer can claim of the same fame!!
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:07   #19
BHPian

This is just utterly ridiculous. Even the older Porter had a better designed pickup bay. If you see the new one has a loading bay way way up. And doesn't seem to be deep enough. Only the white portion is a loading area. The black portion below is just to hide the mechanicals and chasis.
Earlier I thought where did HM get the money to create new die for the model. Then I saw the Porter add. Looks like some one at HM just strolled down the back yard and found an abandoned die and had a eureka moment. I think students from ITI's, engineering colleges can do better job than this.
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well done HM, bringing back the Porter are we? Nothing like a retro pickup from the 50s!

What a stroke of genius...bet this car would be a huge hit with the Octogenarian car buyers shopping for a lifestyle vehicle! So while you are at it can we have an Amby CC with a retractable roof or maybe even an Ambassador Spyder..?

Last edited by MaserQ : 3rd June 2011 at 17:40.
MaserQ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Well done HM, bringing back the Porter are we? Nothing like a retro pickup from the 50s! Would be a huge hit with the Octogenarian car buyers! So while you are at it can we have an Amby CC with a retractable roof or maybe even an Ambassador Spyder?
You have lost it Maser!
1) No one from HM will read this because i don't think they have access to internet.
2) Retro/CC/Spyder etc will sound gibberish to HM R&D if such a thing exists.

If they insist on carrying on the Ambassador shell they would have checked out VW Beetle/ FIAT 500 revival & done something about it.
Skyline GT-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

What the!

That's where I really want to stop as it has left me speechless. They seem to have the laziest or cheapest available designers in the world. The Tata Ace & the Mahindra Ingenio (?) look like super-models compared to this.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why? HM Why? Why on god's green earth would you do something like this?
Have these guys given up on creativity completely? Rather, did they have creativity in the first place?

An Ambi pickup, that itself sounds so hilarious! Could'nt you guys comeup with something better? Heck, you could have modded the Lancer, made a pickup out of it, and still got away with it.
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amidst all the sarcasm from all of you about this effort from HM, all i can say is, this will sell extremely well if they can price it on par with the M&M Gio or the Piagio APE and throw in a ladder free for helping in climbing up to the load bay
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:15   #25
BHPian

OMG!! I am thinking that maybe Genio caused the lazy designers of HM to take a lazy stroll in their backyard to dig this scrap out and make it ready for production!!

On the other hand did Mahindra dig this old brochure for designing the Genio Side Portion ?
Attached Thumbnails
OMG Scoop Pics! HM Ambassador PICK-UP TRUCK spotted. EDIT : Launched as the Veer!-hmgenio.jpg  

Old 4th June 2011, 05:52   #26
BHPian

@sid: first customer for Smith & Wessons?

This is really cultural suicide. Man they must be smoking pot, during the annual shareholder meetings. Will 2011 be the last year for HM?

BH.
Old 4th June 2011, 07:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : New HM Ambassador (CS Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
If they downsize the engine to 1400CC (tax benefits) still it would be powerful enough because the chopped tail will reduce the weight.
Is the tax benefits applicable for the sub 4M commercial vehicles as well. My belief up till was that the benefit is applicable only for passenger cars .
HM is taking out all cards in the pack for a foothold. But they should come out of the box to succeed.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th June 2011 at 07:47.
Old 4th June 2011, 07:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Neat scoop. HM has gone the whole hog with this one, covering up the underside and making it a flat loading bay.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:07   #29
BHPian

Can't they consult a design house and come up with a facelifted version or something.
1. better interiors,
2. slightly modified chassis.
3. Oursource a quality engine like our National Engine + gearbox? (though I am not aware of their current engine performance)

I know it'll make it that much more costlier but this pick up is just plane stupid.
The ambirod design from DC is the way to go forward for me incase the ambassador has to continue.
Old 9th June 2011, 12:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Can't they consult a design house and come up with a facelifted version or something.
1. better interiors,
2. slightly modified chassis.
3. Oursource a quality engine like our National Engine + gearbox? (though I am not aware of their current engine performance)

I know it'll make it that much more costlier but this pick up is just plane stupid.
The ambirod design from DC is the way to go forward for me incase the ambassador has to continue.
Slick,
Putting the so called "National Engine" would be on everybody manufacturer's mind now, given its tremendous success.

However, as I understand, the engine is only designed to work in transverse mode (sideways) and hence only in FWD layout. Since the Amby is rear wheel drive, this engine is definitely ruled out.

One possible option is the Nissan-Renault sourced 1.5 DCi which is more versatile.

But frankly speaking, unless some marketing genius can find a way to market this in a "retro-cool" way (like the Enfield), it is pretty much end of the road for the company. What is sad though is that HM sells more Ambis than Lancers and Cedias!

They can actually think of some sort of imaginative JV with a new comer like Renault who can piggy-back on their distribution network. They could also look at other car manufacturers looking to set up shop in India.

PS: Its sad to see a company bearing the country name (Hindustan) struggling like this.

Most Viewed