Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:00   #106
BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

A 1.2 TSi Polo would be fantastic. It would be much better to drive than the 1.6 and fuel efficient as well. Also, if it falls in the 'less than 1200 cc' category, some of the extra cost of the engine can be offset against the savings in excise duty (Wikipedia says its 1197 cc). And since its targeted at people who are willing to pay extra for more performance, a small price increase may be acceptable.
Old 30th July 2011, 15:37   #107
Team-BHP Support

It will be interesting to see how VW prices the 1.2/1.4 TSI product ranges, when ever they release. I think Europe also had a 1.2 TSI Yeti.

So it would be interesting to see various combinations of Polo, Vento and Jetta sharing the same engines. If not, we need to see, how they divide the TSI pie across the product line.

My thought says they would do a 1.2 TSI for Polo and keep 1.4 for Vento and a 1.8 for Jetta.
And that is possible if they cost the product right. As per what I remember, I read some where about a VW quote stating TSI product line to be profitable only when the price is north of 10L.
I hope they have worked around this point in these recent times,
Old 30th July 2011, 21:51   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It will be interesting to see how VW prices the 1.2/1.4 TSI product ranges, when ever they release. I think Europe also had a 1.2 TSI Yeti.
So it would be interesting to see various combinations of Polo, Vento and Jetta sharing the same engines. If not, we need to see, how they divide the TSI pie across the product line.
You're right. The 1.2 and 1.4 TSI engines are shared across almost all the small cars in VW range. The 1.2 TSI Yeti is available here in Singapore also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
My thought says they would do a 1.2 TSI for Polo and keep 1.4 for Vento and a 1.8 for Jetta.
My assumption is that the Polo eventually will get the 1.2 TSI, Vento could eventually get the 1.2/1.4, and the Jetta will come with 1.4 TSI (probably only in the 122ps tune). I expect 1.8 TSI to stay with cars like Laura RS, or petrol Passat.

Note: A dealer in Kerala mentioned that Jetta TSI will come in 1.4 TSI, but only in end 2011 / early 2012.
Old 30th July 2011, 22:10   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Jetta will come with 1.4 TSI (probably only in the 122ps tune). I expect 1.8 TSI to stay with cars like Laura RS, or petrol Passat.
This is my doubt. Why would Jetta be scoped less than Laura? When the VW strategy actually is to price Skoda products cheaper than VW products.
If that is the case, why would VW bring 1.4TSI to Jetta, but keep 1.8 running for Laura?
Old 30th July 2011, 22:29   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is my doubt. Why would Jetta be scoped less than Laura? When the VW strategy actually is to price Skoda products cheaper than VW products.
If that is the case, why would VW bring 1.4TSI to Jetta, but keep 1.8 running for Laura?
Disclaimer: These are just assumptions

Once the Jetta come with 1.4 TSI, they may eventually bring that in the Laura as well, and keep the 1.8 TSI only in the RS version. I guess once these small TSI’s get to India, they will make the refresh across their complete range of petrols, and these are extremely fuel efficient. Anyway, the 1.8 TSI is not bringing any sales volume currently.
Old 31st July 2011, 14:36   #111
Team-BHP Support

But still from a long term point of view, I dont see a plan on fuel quality.
What solutions do the oil companies have for such requirements?
Old 31st July 2011, 15:01   #112
Team-BHP Support

Just to make things clear the 1.4 TSI makes 170PS and features a turbo and supercharger with an output of 170PS whereas the 1.8 TSI is only turbo charged.

There are other state of tunes the engines are available in but the above 2 are the most commonly used in current VW.
Old 31st July 2011, 15:11   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just to make things clear the 1.4 TSI makes 170PS and features a turbo and supercharger with an output of 170PS whereas the 1.8 TSI is only turbo charged.

There are other state of tunes the engines are available in but the above 2 are the most commonly used in current VW.
Vid, maybe I am wrong here, but in my understanding the two variants of 1.4 TSI are (1) turbocharged 122ps and (2) twincharged 160ps.

Probably the one for India will be the 122ps option.
Old 31st July 2011, 15:20   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Vid, maybe I am wrong here, but in my understanding the two variants of 1.4 TSI are (1) turbocharged 122ps and (2) twincharged 160ps.

Probably the one for India will be the 122ps option.
Yeah the 1.4TSI with only turbo is a newer engine which replaces the 1.6L. Earlier the 1.4TSI came only with twin charger.

I remember when they launched the laura many media sources had got this wrong and they were saying the 1.8L TSI has both turbo and supercharger.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 16:43   #115
Team-BHP Support

Autocar UK has a road test of VW Jetta 2.0 TDi MT.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI SE - Autocar.co.uk

I have the print edition of the magazine. According to the article, the order of best cars in this segment are -

1) Skoda Octavia (Laura moniker being used in India)
2) VW Jetta
3) Chevrolet Cruze
Old 31st July 2011, 18:16   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Autocar UK has a road test of VW Jetta 2.0 TDi MT.
VW Jetta 2.0 TDI SE - Autocar.co.uk

I have the print edition of the magazine. According to the article, the order of best cars in this segment are -

1) Skoda Octavia (Laura moniker being used in India)
2) VW Jetta
3) Chevrolet Cruze
Fortunately/ unfortunately Chevrolet has managed to price it significantly below the other two cars mentioned here, with a killer diesel engine! Something Laura and Jetta (specifically) need to learn from. AutocarIndia says the diesel engine will soon be updated to produce 163ps for the Cruze!

Is Polo 1.2 TSi confirmed/ or caught testing? Or just rumours?
Old 31st July 2011, 22:45   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Fortunately/ unfortunately Chevrolet has managed to price it significantly below the other two cars mentioned here, with a killer diesel engine! Something Laura and Jetta (specifically) need to learn from. AutocarIndia says the diesel engine will soon be updated to produce 163ps for the Cruze!
But VW Group's 140hp 2.0TDi is more refined and has better spread of the 320nm torque, in Diesels the spread of torque is more important than peak power. How tempting is the 320nm torque available from low down and spread across a broad range?

The Laura even with premium pricing and bad After sales image manages to sell close to the Cruze. The Jetta was never marketed properly, i bet the new Jetta will do a lot better.

Last edited by .anshuman : 31st July 2011 at 22:47.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 09:33   #118
BHPian

anshuman i do not think that the lauras 140 bhp engine is more refined than the cruze although it may have the better torque,my cousin owns a laura 140 dsg and i own a cruze ltz and we both agree that laura is louder than the cruze and so do any of or common friends
Old 1st August 2011, 15:55   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
But VW Group's 140hp 2.0TDi is more refined and has better spread of the 320nm torque, in Diesels the spread of torque is more important than peak power. How tempting is the 320nm torque available from low down and spread across a broad range?

The Laura even with premium pricing and bad After sales image manages to sell close to the Cruze. The Jetta was never marketed properly, i bet the new Jetta will do a lot better.
laura june sales 693 cruze june sales 860 a difference of 167 units doesnot sound much to anshuman
Old 1st August 2011, 16:50   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
anshuman i do not think that the lauras 140 bhp engine is more refined than the cruze although it may have the better torque,my cousin owns a laura 140 dsg and i own a cruze ltz and we both agree that laura is louder than the cruze and so do any of or common friends
Are you sure you talking about the CR engine, not the PD engine? I felt opposite everytime i drove them back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
laura june sales 693 cruze june sales 860 a difference of 167 units doesnot sound much to anshuman
The point is despite being more expensive, it does manage to sell in good numbers, i said close to Cruze, not more than or similar to Cruze. Do you think Cruze would have sold in such good numbers if it was overpriced by a lakh or two? 693 vs 860 is not a huge difference for this segment, more so if you consider the pricing and age of the products.

Please let's not drag the discussion here offtopic.

EDIT: The difference in July'11 is 41 units at 621 and 580 units respectively.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd August 2011 at 19:30. Reason: Included the latest figure
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks