Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 10:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, small engine Yeti spotted testing

Nice scoop! Thanks for sharing.

I think VW is taking the family look thing a bit too far. Maybe, it's a great way to save costs - they can fire all the designers once they have designed one car
Old 6th June 2011, 11:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, small engine Yeti spotted testing

Nice scoop! I love the rear end of this Jetta: the earlier one's round lamps and plastic black underbumper used to spoil its looks.

"Family look" and all is good but I would hate it if I looked exactly like my sibling . Front look maintained identical to the Polo is a complete fail! At least the Passat gets a sexy crease on the bonnet that makes all the difference.

I am curious about the 1.4 litre engine option for the Vento: did you spot the badging? I have it on good authority from an insider that VW is *not* planning to launch this model in India- has there been a change of heart recently given the debacle of petrol Vento sales? Incidentally the 1.4 litre Polo sedan *is* manufactured at the Chakan plant, but strictly for export to South Africa market.

edit: just checked again- they have retained the black underbumper but it's not as prominent as that on the last generation Jetta.

Last edited by noopster : 6th June 2011 at 11:11.
Old 6th June 2011, 11:47   #18
BHPian

Very nice catch, Amar.
I quite like the new Jetta. The diesel should be quite torquey and nice to drive.
Interesting to see a 1.4 Vento. I feel that this may not be a TSi (I hope I have to eat my words). VW did not get the 1.2 TSi here citing reasons of high cost, so a 1.4 may make it more expensive than the diesel.
This may be more of a move to tackle competition from the Verna 1.4, the Manza, Dzire etc.
Or... Hoping for the improbable, a 1.4 TSi, stiffer suspension, racier wheels and a GTI badge!
Old 6th June 2011, 12:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully they'll launch the Jetta this year. While it looks the same as it's siblings, it does look more proportionate than the outgoing model.

Btw, the Jetta rear reminds me of the prev-prev-gen Accord. Maybe the shape of the tail lamps?
Old 6th June 2011, 12:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

I actually did confuse the new Jetta to the Vento! . I personally prefer the older version of the Jetta.

Even I had the same information, the 1.4l Vento was NOT supposed to be launched in India. Could it be possible that its only testing here and then be exported?
Old 6th June 2011, 12:51   #21
BHPian

Nice catch - thanks.

Not sure if the Jetta is the Highline variant or what, but looks like no Xenon lamps. That's a put-down.

Cheers,
Old 6th June 2011, 13:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop! The new Jetta looks good but looks exactly like the Vento from the front albeit with larger headlamps. The rear is very Audi-ish. One can easily mistake it for an A4 from far. In other countries, the new 2011 Jetta hasn't really fared well and has been ranked lowest in terms of reliability. Check out Autoblog's review here: First Drive: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta gets with the (American) program — Autoblog

P.S: @AmarPaithankar.....You should have watermarked the pics. They are all over the internet now!!
Old 6th June 2011, 13:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Hope you know the American Jetta is a different car than the one European one which we will get here. Both the American Passat and Jetta are made to suit local taste and built for a price compared their Euro counterparts.(Feel free to correct me if i am wrong)
Old 6th June 2011, 13:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Hope you know the American Jetta is a different car than the one European one which we will get here. Both the American Passat and Jetta are made to suit local taste and built for a price compared their Euro counterparts.(Feel free to correct me if i am wrong)
Not, you're not wrong. I am certain the car we are getting in the Euro version, which translates to better quality and engines. However, unfortunately it also translates to more cost. There seems to be some cost cutting done which, according to me, is a good thing. It means that they are looking to price it competitively. If I can afford one, it will be my next car. I think this could be better than anything in its class by a mile (price not factored in). However, knowing VWs pricing history, I will eventually have to finally settle for Vento.

On the contrary, I'll be equally happy if Skoda launches a cheaper Laura TDI classic@ 12.xx lacs. The real feel of any kind of quality (and luxury) only starts in the D segment.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 6th June 2011 at 13:56.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
However, knowing VWs pricing history, I will eventually have to finally settle for Vento.
VW must be in a confusing situation here. One one side they want to capture the market by pricing it competitively, but if they do so the Laura will retain the premium positioning, hurting VWs ego and image as premium car maker.

Quote:
On the contrary, I'll be equally happy if Skoda launches a cheaper Laura TDI classic@ 12.xx lacs. The real feel of any kind of luxury only starts in the D segment.
I do not understand why does Laura MT in India come with the 110hp, 250nm 2.0 CR Tdi, in Europe the lower version comes with 1.6 CR TDi(same as Vento) offering the same 110hp, 250nm in same manner with better FE. Since they already have this engine in India under the hood of the Vento, the localisation does not seem to be a reason. The only reason i can think is- to make it look better in spec sheets, 1600cc vs 2000cc, after all everyone in India knows kitna CC and kitna Average.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:12   #26
e46
BHPian

Price it competitively and they have one customer in the form of me, in the distant future, for sure. This would be the closest i could get or afford to taste German build and quality. The A4 ish rear, is something I love.

Thanks Amar.
Old 6th June 2011, 15:07   #27
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Nice Scoop, wish you had watermarked the pics!
I expect the new Jetta to have marginally more legroom & a better backseat than the Laura. Its rather weird that they forgot to mask the badges on the Jetta which is yet to be launched. I have a feeling the staff goofed up by masking the Superb instead of the Jetta. I suppose they were testing the 170bhp DSG on the Superb.
Did you manage to see the upcoming Touareg being tested? I remember seeing it in Pune a couple of months back.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:58   #28
BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, small engine Yeti spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Awesome scoop buddy! Well done! .. Seems like VW and Skoda have alot lined up in their kitty for the near future.

As for the Yeti, it can be the much-awaited DSG A/T Gearbox as everyone is suspecting.
Guys any news on the DSG box for the Yeti? If it is going to make it then the price difference demanded would be unacceptable for the already pricey car.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 13:50. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 6th June 2011, 21:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

Nice scoop Amar!
The new Jetta looks better than the outgoing model for sure. Even though the front resembles the Polo and Vento, the A4 like rear is a good to have feature

Have you clicked any pics of the Superb? I didn't find any in what you've posted
Old 6th June 2011, 22:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 13:52. Reason: Please do NOT type one-liners that add zero value to the discussion
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks