Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 22:36   #31
oss
BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

And the front screams Vento/Polo. VW should put the name badge in front as well, as otherwise it's and exact replica of Polo/Vento front.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 13:52. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 6th June 2011, 22:57   #32
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 13:53.
Soccerfan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th June 2011, 02:20   #33
BHPian

Could the Volkswagen Vento 1.4 TSI be VW’s answer to the Fiat Linea T-Jet? | IndianCarsBikes.in

Is this true?another turbocharged petrol?
Old 7th June 2011, 07:03   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, VW is NOT launching the 1.4 petrol in India. They have 6000 unsold 1.6 petrols as of now, why would they want to increase their inventory? The 1.4 is meant for South Africa, as I've maintained from the beginning. Maybe Amar can recall whether he saw the "Polo 1.4" badging on the rear. That would be the confirmatory test.

New Jetta launch is apparently planned for end-September but may possibly be advanced.Something to look forward to!

Last edited by noopster : 7th June 2011 at 07:07.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 08:57   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@noopster: Is there some concrete information that the launch is towards september end? I was hoping more on the lines of july. I have been waiting for Jetta to launch since a long time now :(. Any news on pricing?
Old 7th June 2011, 09:46   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
And the front screams Vento/Polo. VW should put the name badge in front as well, as otherwise it's and exact replica of Polo/Vento front.
Agreed, looks like a bloated replica of Vento. See pictures below. The first one is a Vento, and the second is the new Jetta.
SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing-vento-jetta.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Could the Volkswagen Vento 1.4 TSI be VW’s answer to the Fiat Linea T-Jet? | IndianCarsBikes.in
Is this true?another turbocharged petrol?
Yes, but the 1.4 TSi not something new. It is the default choice for small to mid-segment VW group petrols. Infact the current 1.6 petrol is still sold in some markets as entry-level petrol.

But as Noopster mentioned, I think its quite unlikely to get the 1.4 TSi launched in India - (1) due to our lack of affinity for petrols, and (2) it’s going to be more expensive than the current 1.6 powered cars.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:10   #37
BHPian

Noopster is right, I did see the "POLO 1.4" badges on the rear. This is for sure. In the excitement to quickly add all the images and data, I somehow missed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Guys, VW is NOT launching the 1.4 petrol in India. They have 6000 unsold 1.6 petrols as of now, why would they want to increase their inventory? The 1.4 is meant for South Africa, as I've maintained from the beginning. Maybe Amar can recall whether he saw the "Polo 1.4" badging on the rear. That would be the confirmatory test.

New Jetta launch is apparently planned for end-September but may possibly be advanced.Something to look forward to!
AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 10:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, small engine Yeti spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
They all look the same for me.
The styling is a bit too similar. They should have added some more innovation or rather differentiation to each model. Especially the front end of Vento,Jetta,Passat are just toooo similar !
Old 7th June 2011, 11:29   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmarPaithankar View Post
Noopster is right, I did see the "POLO 1.4" badges on the rear. This is for sure. In the excitement to quickly add all the images and data, I somehow missed it.
Did you also notice a Polo 1.5 TDi in the group? 1.5 TDi engine a downnsized version of 1.6TDi is expected to replace 1.2 TDi in both Polo and Fabia.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:35   #40
BHPian

No Polo was part of the convoy of cars on test. Even I was longing to see a 1.5L Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Did you also notice a Polo 1.5 TDi in the group? 1.5 TDi engine a downnsized version of 1.6TDi is expected to replace 1.2 TDi in both Polo and Fabia.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you see that on Vento? BTW, how unfortunate is that. They export all the good engines to other countries, yet leave the most basic ones for us. Hyundai is smart that way, they launch most engines that they export, since it costs them relatively less to manufacture (due to volumes). And some features too, like 'navigation on i20'. Unless they were being made for export models, it had no chance of getting launched in India.

If I were in VW, I would have had 1.2 TSI/1.4TSI on the car from day one. I would have rather started the car's price at 7.49 lacs instead of 6.99 that they went for. It would have also done a great deal for the reputation of the car. It would have had the image of 'the car with best engines'. The petrol mill is only 'average', as is reflected in its sales.

Quote:
Do you have any news on this or is it speculation? I have heard about this before but it also seems speculative to me. Could this be launched with the additional features (upgraded HU and steering controls that have been discussed on another thread)
Old 7th June 2011, 12:39   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
@noopster: Is there some concrete information that the launch is towards september end? I was hoping more on the lines of july. I have been waiting for Jetta to launch since a long time now :(. Any news on pricing?
All I know is that the new Jetta is scheduled for launch end-Sep which *may* be advanced a bit. There is a manual as well as DSG option, 2.0 CRDi, no idea if tuned to 170HP or not. Apparently it has beige interiors.

Quote:
That's a South Africa-bound model for sure. Did you get a look at the all-black interiors and smoked headlamps? They are to die for! Saw a couple on my VW factory visit (linky)

Quote:
Scoop: Polo GTi will be launched next year . With the TSI engine, I guess. We got a sneak peek of one of these with 17 inch killer alloys, a honeycomb front grille and all-black interiors when we visited the factory. Delicious!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 12:45   #43
BHPian

Haven't seen any posts on whether the new Jetta will get the 1.8 Tsi petrol mill that is present on Laura, Superb and earlier generation Passat. I have driven the Tsi-powered Laura, loved it and almost fell for it, but for the "Skoda scare". So I have been eagerly waiting to see if the new Jetta will get that motor and turn out to be a more reliable ownership package than the Laura for (hopefully) similar kind of pricing.

Any clues anyone?
Old 7th June 2011, 13:29   #44
BHPian

Awesome scoop! but why do VW's have such plain looking cars? They got the rear right (it looks gorgeous) but the front is really sad. Something to differentiate it would have helped, projector headlamps perhaps! something! anything! Did not see much of Yeti in the pics, anymore details on that in terms of external design?
Old 7th June 2011, 13:58   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great scoop Amar! Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
Guys any news on the DSG box for the Yeti? If it is going to make it then the price difference demanded would be unacceptable for the already pricey car.
The DSG Yeti is definitely coming. One reason for the Yeti's sub-par sales performance is that it's available only in MT. And 15+ lakh customers just love their auto boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Do you have any news on this or is it speculation?
Still speculation, though VW is well aware of the 1.2L 3 cylinder diesel not meeting it's premium-brand aspirations. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in the 1.5L Polo in 2 / 3 quarters.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed