Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 11:02   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I think that badge says bluemotion, so that means they will launch it with the 1.6 from the Vento also.
Not sure what you mean. Bluemotion technology is not specific to 1.6L right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Are you sure its 180 bhp? Too high for a 1.4L engine even if its turbo stratified. I guess it would have to be twin-charged (turbo + supercharger). I don't see that coming to India ever. A 1.4L TSi delivering 102 BHP maybe more practical knowing how engines are de-tuned for India.
180bhp is correct. The Polo GTI is indeed a potent package. And you’re right on the twin-charged motor. Here is the text from VW website (www.volkswagen.com.sg)

Quote:
Floor it and unleash the full 180 bhp of the new Polo GTI's 1.4-litre TSI engine. Supercharged and turbocharged, it does 0-100 km/h in 6.9 sec and reaches a top speed of 229 km/h. But its performance is not limited to speed alone. This is the most fuel-efficient Polo GTI ever, delivering 16.9 km/l and a CO2 emission of just 139 g/km.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th June 2011 at 11:03.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:11   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not sure what you mean. Bluemotion technology is not specific to 1.6L right?
Its not. But in the Jetta bluemotion only seems to be with the 1.6l. I checked the UK site, thats where I came up with this.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 12:09   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not. But in the Jetta bluemotion only seems to be with the 1.6l. I checked the UK site, thats where I came up with this.
I hope they do. That gives them a chance to price it aggressively. What does it take away from the car? 0-100 of 12.5 sec as opposed to 11 of Vento. Surely a lot of people can live with that, including me.

The prime advantage that German cars have (compared to Japs/Koreans) are the quality of interiors and build strength. I hope they take a leaf out of Vento book and price it similarly as compared to Civic (the Vento v/s ANHC analogy)
Old 14th June 2011, 12:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

^^ IMO, VW needs to take the fight to Altis and the Cruze ..... not Civic. ANHC vs Vento was a logical comparo as the former was the segment leader. In the C+ / entry D segment however, Civic has been outclassed and outsold by her half American half Korean and Jap counterparts. These are the cars VW would / should be targetting (or benchmarking against), not the Civic.
Old 14th June 2011, 13:04   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
^^ IMO, VW needs to take the fight to Altis and the Cruze ..... not Civic. ANHC vs Vento was a logical comparo as the former was the segment leader. In the C+ / entry D segment however, Civic has been outclassed and outsold by her half American half Korean and Jap counterparts. These are the cars VW would / should be targetting (or benchmarking against), not the Civic.
I agree. I was just trying to draw an analogy. If VW gets the pricing right, I see nothing in Altis, other than reliability, which is better than Jetta. Absolutely nothing! The engine which we are speculating (1.6TDI) is also better than the prime (and only) diesel engine in the Altis.

Knowing VW's cost structures, no way can they match the Cruze on price, but they don't need to. It has much better 'quality content' than Cruze. They have a history of 'optimistic pricing' though.

There is only one thing I worry about Jetta, the price. I think it may be priced out of many prospects.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 14th June 2011 at 13:05.
Old 14th June 2011, 15:36   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee [Autocar India] tweets that the launch on New Jetta will be on Aug 17, 2011. Looks like they have quite some models for the festive season !

Quote:
All new VW Jetta launch on August 17th. With market swinging sharply to diesel, 140bhp 2.0TDI motor will be main model
Old 14th June 2011, 22:11   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee [Autocar India] tweets that the launch on New Jetta will be on Aug 17, 2011. Looks like they have quite some models for the festive season !
Will the 1.8 TSI come with it?
Old 15th June 2011, 23:46   #83
BHPian

@cedric - Apart from the 2.0l diesel engine it looks like there'll be a 1.4l tsi petrol option with a six speed manual gearbox.

New VW Jetta coming August 17 | Autocar India
Old 16th June 2011, 10:28   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Will the 1.8 TSI come with it?

Unlikely, as the ACI article also states. I think the Jetta doesn't even get the 1.8 TSI in the UK. The petrol versions have 1.4 TSI in two states of tune: 122 ps (0-100 in 12.5 sec) and 160 ps sports model (0-100 in 8.3 sec).

Now even if VW launches the petrol Jetta this August, it is anyone's guess which tune state will we get, which, to me is a shame because it is such a brilliant chassis and deserves powerful motors. If only they were to launch either the 160 ps tune version of 1.4 TSI or the lusty 1.8 TSI.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Now even if VW launches the petrol Jetta this August, it is anyone's guess which tune state will we get, which, to me is a shame because it is such a brilliant chassis and deserves powerful motors. If only they were to launch either the 160 ps tune version of 1.4 TSI or the lusty 1.8 TSI.
To add on, the 1.4TSI is much for fuel efficient than the 1.8TSI. Real-time FE around 15kmpl is quite common with this motor. Even in the 160bhp sports guise.

Infact, in global markets, I noticed that 1.8TSI is an engine choice only for cars above Jetta, i.e.; Passat, Superb etc. For smaller cars it’s normally the 1.2 TSI or 1.4 TSI. And the RS / GTI variants of course get the 2.0 TSI.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

VW already uses the 1.8TSI in India (Skodas) ! So why wont they just offer the Jetta with the same engine? My only guess is that they want to price in the Civic Corolla price range, they might find it cheaper with a smaller TSI engine.

Anyways with the Petrol Prices these days, i doubt the petrol will account for more than 10% sales.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:31   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
VW already uses the 1.8TSI in India (Skodas) ! So why wont they just offer the Jetta with the same engine? My only guess is that they want to price in the Civic Corolla price range, they might find it cheaper with a smaller TSI engine.

Anyways with the Petrol Prices these days, i doubt the petrol will account for more than 10% sales.
I don’t think it’s because 1.4 is a smaller engine and hence it’s cheaper. In fact it’s not going to make much difference in the pricing. The reason could be because of the second part of your comment. The 1.4 TSI even in the sports tuned avatar (160ps) is extremely fuel efficient. Ideal will be for them to have a base variant with the 1.6L engine, and higher variants with the 1.4TSI.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:38   #88
Team-BHP Support

The way I see it there will be 3 engine options.

The 1.6 diesel - To target the people who buy the Corolla D

The 1.4 petrol - Will be priced around the same as the 1.6 diesel, to target the 12-14l range.

The 2.0 diesel - To target the Laura, Cruze etc. Probably priced in the 16-18l range.

1.8 looks unlikely since its not even available in the UK.

So VW is looking to price the Jetta all over the 12-18l range.
Old 16th June 2011, 14:11   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way I see it there will be 3 engine options.

The 1.6 diesel - To target the people who buy the Corolla D

The 1.4 petrol - Will be priced around the same as the 1.6 diesel, to target the 12-14l range.

The 2.0 diesel - To target the Laura, Cruze etc. Probably priced in the 16-18l range.

1.8 looks unlikely since its not even available in the UK.

So VW is looking to price the Jetta all over the 12-18l range.
I wish that VW guys have a second look at your comments. A 1.6 TDI is all I am hoping for. I am certainly not buying another petrol ( I have Swift Vxi, Beat LS, and Matiz SP--> If that is still counted as a car: in the family)). So my sedan has to be a diesel. The 2.0 TDI will almost certainly be out of my reach.
Old 30th June 2011, 23:53   #90
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Overdrive managed to snap this VW Touareg undergoing testing in Pune.
Volkswagen Touareg spotted testing - Volkswagen Touareg spy pic - News : Overdrive

SCOOP PICS : New VW Jetta, Vento 1.4 petrol, and a Yeti spotted testing-tou.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks