Team-BHP - NHC Zx Ground Clearance and Ride quality
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   NHC Zx Ground Clearance and Ride quality (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/10240-nhc-zx-ground-clearance-ride-quality.html)

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
I have some questions regarding NHC Zx.
NHC Zx has 160 mm ground clearnace does it pose any problems while driving ? For example negotiating a speed breaker because I heard people complaining about NHC (under) body scratches over a speed breaker. Second question is about ride quality (suspensions), I heard that NHC ride is rather harsh, every pot hole / bump is transimitted back to the occupants (this is especially more pronounced in low speed city driving). Answers from your experinces would help me in my buying decision. At present I am considering NHC and Optra 1.6 base.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahesh4sure
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
NHC Zx has 160 mm ground clearnace does it pose any problems while driving ? For example negotiating a speed breaker because I heard people complaining about NHC (under) body scratches over a speed breaker. Second question is about ride quality (suspensions), I heard that NHC ride is rather harsh, every pot hole / bump is transimitted back to the occupants (this is especially more pronounced in low speed city driving). Answers from your experinces would help me in my buying decision. At present I am considering NHC and Optra 1.6 base.

Optra GC is 173mm I think.
Anyways, if ride is your biggest deciding factor then this one is a no-brainer. Optra wins hands down.

Quote:

[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

The problem with the erstwhile NHC was not only due to ground clearance, but also due to soft suspension, thanks to which the 'thud' sound could be heard over speed breakers - this has been fixed in he ZX.

As far as ride quality is concerned, NHC has a decently comfortable ride for its class, and even at low-speeds, it glides over pot-holes and bumps. Why dont you try it out yourself, and not go by what others say.

However, when you try comparing it with Optra, it may feel not so great - but then Optra's suspension is way beyond any other in its class.

That said - i think a search on the "what car" folder should give you loads of nice comparison between the two

I think the ground clearance for Octavia is ~130mm and if owners of those cars don't complain, NHC owners shouldn't too. That said, it is anyways always a good habit to be at the lowest possible speed over speed breakers :-)

Quote:

NHC Zx has 160 mm ground clearnace does it pose any problems while driving ? For example negotiating a speed breaker because I heard people complaining about NHC (under) body scratches over a speed breaker.

I am not sure about the ZX, but my NHC did touch the speed breakers few times but that was because of those monstrous speed breakers. With properly laid speed breakers I didn't had any issue. Offcourse, I slow down completely while crossing any speed breaker and if there are 4-5 people on board, then I am dead slow over speed breakers. ZX should be much better with the improved suspension.

Offtopic:
I want to give a tip to avoid scraping a speedbreaker.
Try passing a speedbreaker at a 45 degree angle.Its the max u can do to avoid bottoming a car. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
...Try passing a speedbreaker at a 45 degree angle.Its the max u can do to avoid bottoming a car...

Yeah, I agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmbabu
I think the ground clearance for Octavia is ~130mm and if owners of those cars don't complain, NHC owners shouldn't too. That said, it is anyways always a good habit to be at the lowest possible speed over speed breakers :-)

yes you are right about the Ground clearance of the skoda. Its 134mm. But the suspensions setup and underbody design is different. Hence WHile Honda city with a higher Ground clearane may scrap underbody, a skoda may not.

NHC is basically made for the city so at speeds upto 40-50 it shouldnt pose any problems on speedbreakers.

BTW when I tested drove the new gen Siena(model before petra came) and the salesperson was so confident he asked me to not brake even at 80kmph over speedbreakers. THe car was always completely compsed and didnt lose control or scrap the bottom.

:Frustrati
How soon I have to eat my own words.

The ZX ground clearance is creating issues for me. The broken and tilted lids of manholes in narrow lanes do hit the bottom with nasty noises.

It doesn't hit if I am the lone person in the car (and I drive). But even one additional person is enough for the tilted lid to hit the bottom.

Too bad I cannot even go to the sides because some construction material is all over the lane.

Any one has any solution to this issue (other than changing my house :Shockked: )