Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 20:02   #1
BHPian

Now, Manza does 46.33 kmpl!!

BSM reports that - "Mr. Narayanan R Menon, Managing Director of Aromen Engineering Company has managed to clock 46.33 kilometeres to the litre fuel efficiency in his Tata Manza Quadrajet. The record was set on the Coimbatore- Avinashi by-pass on 25th of May 2011."

Link - Tata Manza clocks 46.33 kilometres to the litre
fash_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 20:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Now, Manza does 46.33 kmpl!!

Was he coasting all the way in neutral or what?Or Maybe he used to take the car to 70 or 80 kmph and slot it in neutral and allow it to coast.No way he would have got that efficiency driving in gear!
Old 6th June 2011, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
BSM reports that - "Mr. Narayanan R Menon, Managing Director of Aromen Engineering Company has managed to clock 46.33 kilometeres to the litre fuel efficiency in his Tata Manza Quadrajet. The record was set on the Coimbatore- Avinashi by-pass on 25th of May 2011."

Link - Tata Manza clocks 46.33 kilometres to the litre

Isn't it all downhill from Coimbatore to Avinashi? For the small distance of 72km used to measure the mileage wouldn't that matter?

Ideally to-and-fro mileage starting from the same point (and ideally retracing the same route) should be more importnat.

The 46kmpl number is very impressive nevertheless, especially because it has been achieved by a man on the street rather than some expert guys
Old 6th June 2011, 20:16   #4
Mik
BHPian

In petrol terms, this is 70plus
Move over platina/CD 100, this Manza is the new fuel efficiency champ
Old 6th June 2011, 20:16   #5
BHPian

Thats a whopping record for a car of its size. Already Tata is going places with 25kmpl Indica ad and now Manza doing almost a double!
Old 6th June 2011, 20:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Isn't it all downhill from Coimbatore to Avinashi? For the small distance of 72km used to measure the mileage wouldn't that matter?
First of all Coimbatore-Avinashi stretch of NH 47 is under road widening work with some diversions.

Secondly looking at the location, I guess this is just tip of a PR campaign. I wouldn't be surprised if this is followed up with some magic additive or wind turbine for diesel engines
Old 6th June 2011, 21:34   #7
BHPian

If it is downhill for most of the journey, then all he had to do was slot it in gear and take his foot off the clutch. As long as his foot was off the accelerator, the car will not use any fuel. Instead of the engine turning the wheels, the wheels run the engine. This is what gives you engine braking. In non-ECU cars, the engine uses idling worth of fuel. In modern cars, the ECU shuts off fuel supply when it detects engine braking. If it is not downhill, then I am very curious to know how such a feat was achieved.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 22:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
If it is downhill for most of the journey, then all he had to do was slot it in gear and take his foot off the clutch. If it is not downhill, then I am very curious to know how such a feat was achieved.
This stretch is not a down hill. Add to it, its one of the busiest stretch at any given point of time. You will find a lot of vehicles in this road always and driving in the daylight is a pain. The guy would have rolled up the windows, no AC and would have driven it at 45-50kmph. Could be !
Old 6th June 2011, 22:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
If it is downhill for most of the journey, then all he had to do was slot it in gear and take his foot off the clutch. As long as his foot was off the accelerator, the car will not use any fuel. Instead of the engine turning the wheels, the wheels run the engine. This is what gives you engine braking. In non-ECU cars, the engine uses idling worth of fuel. In modern cars, the ECU shuts off fuel supply when it detects engine braking. If it is not downhill, then I am very curious to know how such a feat was achieved.
Boss, wheels driving the engine is not engine braking.
Engine braking is where the retarding forces within an engine are used to slow a vehicle down, as opposed to using an external braking mechanism.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:45   #10
BHPian

More than the Manza, I am more curious to learn the driving methods of the Mr. Narayanan R Menon. I would like how it happened and if this is not a fluke, how does one replicate this.

Any car manufacturer today, especially petrol ones, should start this in their CSR activities.

If Mr. Narayanan R Menon, starts a training center to teach us how to achieve that kind of mileage, he WILL make more than his current remuneration.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Was he coasting all the way in neutral or what?Or Maybe he used to take the car to 70 or 80 kmph and slot it in neutral and allow it to coast.No way he would have got that efficiency driving in gear!
Putting in Neutral?
No way even coasting all the way in neutral can give you that number.

So I think

1) He must have turned off the car completely & then rolling.
2) He must have been Towed.
3) He might have a Hybrid under his hood.

Jokes apart I think the FE measurement method is all wrong.
BTW there aren't any proof either. I can bet that this guy cant even manage 25KMPL if asked to repeat it in the same stretch.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:08   #12
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, downhill or empty roads, luck or fluke, this is a commendable achievement by Tata and Mr. Menon. I just wish Top Gear carries this story and make India proud.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:19   #13
BHPian

Cheating PR / Perceived deception by TATA marketing guys to lure customers during these fuel hike period.

M&M did same deceptive PR effort for Logan car which too was tom tomed of achieving 37kmpl driven @ 40km speed earlier resulting in the Logan's sales chart burning.

Beware car buyers. Just apply your brain to Realize the fact that What TATA has is FIAT's engine+gear box under the Manza hood.

Last edited by harimakesh : 6th June 2011 at 23:22.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:21   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Cheating PR / Perceived deception by TATA marketing guys to lure customers during these fuel hike period.

M&M did same deceptivr PR effort fo Logan car which too was tom tomed of achieving 37kmpl driven @ 40km speed earlier.

Beware car buyers. Just apply your brain to Realize the fact that What TATA has is FIAT's engine+gear box under the Manza hood.
Its a Fantastic Achievement. I know few of my friends with the Manza, the Best they have achieved on a Highway is 26 kmpl.

How authentic is this report BTW.

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 14:37. Reason: Do NOT Submit posts that incite brand wars. FIRST Warning
Old 6th June 2011, 23:34   #15
BHPian

Pavan,

I like TATA motors as an Indian company and expect them to be responsible automobile manufacturer and not to be misleading public.

However High stake claim by a manufacturer vide a mere 72kms single mileage test run needs to be taken with a sack of salt

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 14:37. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks