Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 23:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Now, Manza does 46.33 kmpl!!

46.33 kmpl is amazing, and difficult but certainly not unattainable. I remember a few years back Ford Fiesta entered into Limca Book in association with Autocar (or was it Overdrive) for a similar feat.

Just few months back, TATA dealer in Udaipur held a similar rally for Indica Vista (similar engines) and the best vehicles reported around 36 kmpl. These cars were driven by customers and not some technical chap hell bent on squeezing every drop of fuel.

The method used by dealership in Udaipur was to fill the vehicles to the top, seal the tanks, and flag off the vehicles on a route which was 25% city and 75% highways (six - lane) with total mileage of around 85-90 kms. Once the vehicles reached starting point, they were once again filled to the top and this time fuel filled was divided by distance travelled.

Third party officials were roped in to validate the authenticity of rally drive.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 23:46   #17
BHPian

I wonder if this was a special effort. We have heard of mileage marathons for quite some time. Those competing would over inflate, over grease the bearings etc. Mr. Narayanan R Menon, from what it seems is from an Eng background. What I am suggesting is, it might be possible, but whatelse when into the whole exercise?

And no its not down hill from Cbe.

perhaps if we could have more info on

1. the time of travel
2. any special mods?
3. any simple mods like, reducing the weight of the car, no spare tyre, over inflating, over greasing etc.
4. how long did it take to travel the distance?

I guess there is more to it. I might be possible after all.

Reminds me of a schoolmate, who shocked us all by saying they could do Ooty metupalayam return trip on something unreasonable for an newly acquired old petrol amby, their new possession ( actually insane figures even for the just launched M800). Ofcourse it was used to deliver lilies. On further 'investigation' by my fellow classmate petrolhead friends, we came to know his dad used to switch off and coast down all the way to metupalayam, only turning on when he encounters a slight incline.
I think we all shared a similar look, followed by for the rest of the day!

One Odd coincidence he resembles Fred Flintstone though. *Grin*
Old 6th June 2011, 23:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Narayana R Menon really deserve a standing ovation! If he reveal his driving pratices, I would be super duper happy!

Slightly OT : We've managed to achieve a mileage of 47.4 km/l using our Fiat GP. But, no prizes for guessing the fact that we're going downhill in the ghat section and letting the car roll on, without providing any throttle or clutch inputs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Cheating PR / Perceived deception by TATA marketing guys to lure customers during these fuel hike period.
Ain't this feat achieved in the presence of Limca Book of Records authorities? If yes, then I wonder how you call this a false claim by the TATA motors!

Last edited by Klub Class : 6th June 2011 at 23:59.
Old 7th June 2011, 00:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Mr. Narayana R Menon really deserve a standing ovation! If he reveal his driving pratices, I would be super duper happy!

Slightly OT : We've managed to achieve a mileage of 47.4 km/l using our Fiat GP. But, no prizes for guessing the fact that we're going downhill in the ghat section and letting the car roll on, without providing any throttle or clutch inputs!!

Ain't this feat achieved in the presence of Limca Book of Records authorities? If yes, then I wonder how you call this a false claim by the TATA motors!
The claim is incorporated into limca book of records. BSM link nor TATA press release yet to reveal the method adopted for the test and other participants score etc for verification of authenticity of the record.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 01:43   #20
BHPian

it must be a QC error by TATA ..The instant fuel calculator in Manza might show incorrect figures (I do not know if Manza has the trip fuel economy indicator)

Any which ways, 46kmpl seems absolutely impossible on normal road conditions.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
46.33 kmpl is amazing, and difficult but certainly not unattainable. I remember a few years back Ford Fiesta entered into Limca Book in association with Autocar (or was it Overdrive) for a similar feat.

Agree to your point about Fiesta. But keep in mind that for Fiesta, 'normally' people were getting 20+ easily on highways with her tdci heart (which of course is now in figo too). So the record was something like ~35 which is not a HUGE margin when compared to the new record claimed by Manza Qjt.

To me this is something which needs to be investigated.

If fiesta got ~35kmpl it was because a team worked in that campaign with better tunning, other 'adjustments', special routes, tips for drivers etc etc. Manza 46.33 kmpl is one odd case to me SHOULD not be considered as a 'record'. There is something wrong somewhere.

Two reasons for me to believe it is fake :-
1) My friends have Manza Qjt and it gives 13-14 in city and gives a max 16-18 in highway mileage. So a jump from 18 to 47 is astronomical.

2) Even if the car is an 'exceptional' car (as it happens for some cars and bikes) , the stretch driven is definitely a real bad one. I have done that section recently and quite a bit of road widening work is in progress. In fact, in my Blore-Cochin trip recently only stretch which was pathetic was between coimb and avinashi.

THUMBS DOWN!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 7th June 2011 at 11:04.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:11   #22
BHPian

I guess he drove down hill

Because the road said some pass, indicating hilly region.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:19   #23
GSM
BHPian

Have they launched any new PS Games such as "Need for Kilometres" or something? Practically impossible, as far as I could see. But I also remember a case on Bajaj Boxer Mileage Champion at Chennai. A Father and Son Duo (both are Bullet Mechanics), clocking, hold your breath, 191 Kmpl and 187 kmpl respectively.

Looking at all these numbers, and my own mileage of approx 8 or 8.5 kmpl, I feel inferior. Any company?
Old 7th June 2011, 12:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

oh man, I hope he doesn't end up with doc pullockaran's fate !
Old 7th June 2011, 12:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

With right driving technique, high tire pressure, AC off and lots of patience this can be acheived. Remember this is the same efficient Fiat MJD engine, a car with taller gearing like i20 CRDi would do even better. This can only be done to set record, this kind of bullock cart driving is neither safe(dangers of being rear ended) nor practical.

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th June 2011 at 12:26.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Each of such exercises are done to promote the fuel efficiency aspects of the car. It has no real life significance. Many such cars, which claim astonishing figures, may not even be the most efficient in its segment.
Old 7th June 2011, 12:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Agree to your point about Fiesta. But keep in mind that for Fiesta, 'normally' people were getting 20+ easily on highways with her tdci heart (which of course is now in figo too). So the record was something like ~35 which is not a HUGE margin when compared to the new record claimed by Manza Qjt.
Manza too normally gives a mileage of 20+ during highway runs as will be evident from many ownership threads here.

What has happened is that one thinks of Tata and automatically BASH IT UP!

Please do not forget that Most fuel efficient petrol vehicle (Nano) and most fuel efficient diesel vehicle (Indica eV2) are from Tata. Not only that, most fuel efficient diesel sedan (Tata Indigo eCS DiCOR) is also a Tata product.

In fact, segment to segment, you'll notice that Tata vehicles have featured right on top when it comes to fuel efficiency.

But, I should let you just still BASH IT UP for satisfaction...

The actual record attempt for Fiesta was not done across the month travelling around India but on a circular track where the vehicle was filled to the brim and driven around the empty track at constant speed without braking till it came to a complete halt.

The rally around India was just a PR activity for both the manufacturer and the auto magazine.

http://www.greenvehiclenews.com/inde...iency&Itemid=2

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2011 at 14:45. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Old 7th June 2011, 12:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

This is unimaginable. What was the car running on actually? Diesel car giving such a fuel efficiency is unthinkable. I think this is some kind of marketing gimmick.

BTW was Mr.Menon alone in the car or can some one else can vouch for that?
Old 7th June 2011, 14:15   #29
BHPian

isn't it the same engine that powers a linea + punto + swift + dzire + vista + ritz??

how on earth is this possible?
Old 7th June 2011, 14:52   #30
BHPian

What's next? A 500% increase in Manza's sales? While 46.3 kpl is staggering, I have my doubts if it was achieved by fair means and the accuracy of the claim. Has to be some catch here. An instantaneous mileage read-out from a faulty MID? Or an attempt to lure people in favour of Tata vehicles in connivance with the Limca guys?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 7th June 2011 at 15:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks