Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which Dealer?
Better Discounts 28 82.35%
More number of Outlets (better A$$ presumably) 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 15:22   #1
BANNED

Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outlets

Fellow T-BHPian's -

I have been thinking and thinking really hard on buying an Optra Magnum TCDi.

I have done endless work and re-work on the discounts being offered and trying to gather which dealership to go in for.

Now that the finances are almost there, I have hit the crossroad, which way to go: For better discounts or better A$$ (I say better A$$ purely based on the number of outlets for a particular GM franchisee).

The dealers in question:

1) Metro Chevrolet - Better discount.
2) AutoVikas - More number of outlets, Better service (presumably).

Where else to have better opinions than T-BHP.

For NCR based T-BHPians who have had an experience with these dealers, the inputs would be invaluable.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
1) Metro Chevrolet - Better discount.
2) AutoVikas - More number of outlets, Better service (presumably).
Why don't you try getting the best of both worlds; tell Auto Vikas you have lower quote for the car (the discounts given by Metro).

And anyway, even if you buy the car from X, you can always get your car serviced by Y.

What matters is how much money you get to save/freebies offered.

So, get the car from Metro and service it at Vikas.
Old 7th June 2011, 15:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a Car: Dealer offering Better Discounts or Dealer with More Number of Outl

I think you should go with the dealer who is giving better discounts. You can change your A.S.C anytime you want after buying the car. Theorectically, you can go to any authorised Chevy dealer and expect the same level of A.S.S everywhere.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:09   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
Why don't you try getting the best of both worlds; tell Auto Vikas you have lower quote for the car (the discounts given by Metro).

And anyway, even if you buy the car from X, you can always get your car serviced by Y.

What matters is how much money you get to save/freebies offered.

So, get the car from Metro and service it at Vikas.
I tried getting the AV guys to throw in more discounts but they have given me the final quotation which is close to about 8K higher than the guys from Metro

On the aspect of buying from X and getting it serviced at Y, don't you think that a step motherly treatment would be dished out?

Thanks for inputs though !
Old 7th June 2011, 16:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Apart from the free services, there is no commitment for you to a specific dealer. Go with the one with a better offer.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the aspect of buying from X and getting it serviced at Y, don't you think that a step motherly treatment would be dished out?
Not really. As long as you are giving them business, they don't really bother.

My MH-12 Zen is serviced in Gurgaon and HR-26 Corsa in Bangalore and I get the same kind of service I got when the cars were at their respective places.

It is only during free service that it would be a tad better to get the car serviced from where you buy it, in terms of flexibility of service schedule (preponement/postponement etc.).

So, extract what you can and then give the car for servicing at a A.S.S. which is convenient and more reliable.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Go with the one who gives better discounts. As for the step motherly treatment, from what I have read on t-bhp, usually a different A$$ will give better treatment initially to grab the services later. They will try to go overboard for a superior CE and retain the customer [except for the first 2/3 services, the rest are all paid and the A$$ will be benefited that way, plus there is a high chance that you will suggest this A$$ to your friends too, word of mouth being the BEST marketing for these dealers ].

So as someone said in one of the threads, go the the one who gave a 8K+ quote [lesser discount] and flash your cheque book and tell them you will make immediate payment if that 8K is waived off. If they are reluctant, just walk out of showroom immediately without a second thought. This might work in favor of you.

To give a serious buyer appeal, you might take your family / friends when you go. If it doesn't work, please book the car with the one who gives a better discount and take the car to the other A$$.

PS:: Gosh, what all pains do we "customers" have to endure for booking a car, tiresome !!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th June 2011 at 16:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think you should go with the dealer with maximum no of outlets since the association is going to be long time one. Also this delaer would have a greate service coverage area and surely better service which is the most important aspect after the car is bought. If you can convince the dealer of this I am sure you will get an equivalent discount that you were offered by other dealer.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, I've heard that servicing a car purchased from a different dealership gives the dealer more "points" in some rating system with the manufacturer. So I guess, you should be fine anywhere - unless, maybe, if you have to make some major claims under warranty. In that case, the dealership who sold you the car may be more useful.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 17:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go with the one with higher discounts, in case you are very uncomfortable, think the difference is just 8K which is same as probably 1 month petrol cost, or maybe one two lavish family dinners. My $0.02.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 7th June 2011 at 17:30. Reason: Correction
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 18:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have rarely serviced my car with the dealer I bought from. Buy from the dealer who gives best deal. Get it serviced where you please. You have actually paid for the free service coupons as a part of the car buying price. Each workshop (in case of MUL the dealer or MASS or service masters) gets paid for every free service coupon they produce!

The dealers get paid so much (in terms of money and other intangibles) that my dealer promised in writing that if I get all the three free services done with him, he will give the fourth service also free!
Old 7th June 2011, 18:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Apart from the free services, there is no commitment for you to a specific dealer. Go with the one with a better offer.
Even the free services you can get done from any dealer, not necessarily you have to get it from the dealer you bought the car.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Voted for dealer with better discounts.

Like others have said, its easier to get the service done at a different ASC and buy at a dealer with good discounts.

And yes, even the free services can be done at a different dealer and not necessarily from the one whom you bought the car.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

No brainer. Go with the one who offers better discounts. Irrespective of where you buy, the free service and other offers are from the manufacturer and not from the dealer.

So, Good luck.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 23:23   #15
BHPian

As per my suggestion, always better to go with the better discounts and deals. You can save a lot of money on this, if negotiated properly.

When I bought my car, I bought from the dealer who was giving the best deal. But while servicing, I go with the other dealer as thier service centre is supposed to be better.

Most Viewed