Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:24   #211
BHPian

Re: New Altis Launch 16th June !!! New Liva Launch 27th June

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
Below is the link to Liva's main website,specs & color option links. Its not fully up yet, but still quite informative.
Hey Neeld, from where did you got that link? There isn't any mention on toyota's website regarding LIVA. I can understand following case though :

www. toyotabharat.com /cars/new_cars/in_etios/index.aspx
www. toyotabharat.com /cars/new_cars/in_liva/index.aspx
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:51   #212
Senior - BHPian

Carwale carries a test drive report too. I liked the front profile which looks sporty with the skirts and stuff, however the side profile reminds me of the Nissan Micra and isnt sporty by any stretch of imagination. They could have avoided the chrome lining in the rear which to me looks hideous!

This has the potential to be a absolute winner, trumping i10, wagonR, etc which has only petrol variants.
Old 23rd June 2011, 19:23   #213
Senior - BHPian

The Etios Liva is compared to its potential competitors by BSM, clearly summarizing its strengths & weaknesses vis-a-vis each competitor individually.

Here is the report for your perusal:

Toyota Etios Liva competition dissected
Old 24th June 2011, 09:51   #214
BHPian

Toyota's Q-Class

Toyota Liva review, test drive Review

From the above report and from my earlier Etios test drive, I feel:
Toyota wants to position their car as the most fuel efficient, easy to drive city car, and thats what they would try and Push towards.

But for me, Toyota is bringing some of their oldest technologies into India and branding it 'Made for India'. They have done the same in the past with their Qualis and now with the Etios and the Liva.

920 Kgs for a mid size hatch? 18.3 Kmpl, but at what cost?
The engine noise is so intrusive, that it feels 3 generations old.
You feel that you are sitting in an asbestos chamber, which you just entered in by opening a Tin lid. The door fabric is cut from a bed sheet and yes an orange one. Close the boot lid and you wonder if that could fly away any time.
And Toyota calls this quality.

How would it matter to a mid hatch car owner if his car returns 18 Kmpl or it returns to a 16Kmpl?
A mere 5000 rupees over 10000 Kms. I guess a premium paid to avoid all the suffering from the Toyota offering.

These are experiences from my Etios test drive and that is when I began to hate Toyota so much.
We were in the back seat and the car had 4 speakers all in the front. Coupled with the engine noise, we could hear nothing.
The Doors were only 1 inch thick and you felt the air outside. The power windows made a Ting-Ting sound as we operated them
And into the driver seat, it did ride pretty well and had good mid range, but the steering was extremely unresponsive at speeds.
The car is poorer in certain areas than what a basic Car in any category demands.

For me, Toyota is really branding us a class lower. [Calling us poor]
We are probably the manufacturing unit of spares for their End-Of-Life products elsewhere.
So are they really making cars for India?

[I am really sorry to have hurt any Etios owners, but this is all against Toyota for me. Not against any BHPians] Sorry:
Old 24th June 2011, 10:16   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
For me, Toyota is really branding us a class lower. [Calling us poor]
I disagree. If anything, Toyota is giving us choices from vehicle ranging from 4 lacs (Liva) to 90 Lacs (LC). Now the amount of material in the car will be proportionate to its costs. There is a market in India for each class of vehicle, more so for the the lowest cost one due to the price sensitivity of Indians. Their vehicles will be practical, ergonomic, economical to maintain and run and offer the customers with peace of mind.

But I do agree that the front end of the Liva/Etios brand could have been made a little more attractive. They have gone for a bland look which a majority of Indians prefer.

Last edited by dkaile : 24th June 2011 at 10:17.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
Toyota's Q-Class

Toyota Liva review, test drive Review

From the above report and from my earlier Etios test drive, I feel:
Toyota wants to position their car as the most fuel efficient, easy to drive city car, and thats what they would try and Push towards.

But for me, Toyota is bringing some of their oldest technologies into India and branding it 'Made for India'. They have done the same in the past with their Qualis and now with the Etios and the Liva.
I agree with you upto some extent. But if you look around carefully, most international automobile companies cut down on quality to make their cars cheaper and likeable in Indian market.

Even our dearest car maker in India, Maruti Suzuki does the same. For instance, even the most humble WagonR sold in India is not even 40% similar to the WagonR (whatever name in Japan) sold in Japan. Its looks simply stunning, has better engines and everything. Fiat Linea in Brazil has an engine with 180 BHP power, and what we get in India is 90 BHP engine. WHY? Fiat cars in India have major design issues relating to ergonomics, panel gaps and cheap plastics. WHY? Fiat Linea in Brazil also has Duallogic auto box. We dont get it, atleast not yet. WHY? (Please note that Fiat is still my most favourite automobile company and both their vehicles Punto and Linea are my favs, but facts are facts). VW Polo was launched in India with a 3 cylinder engine. WHY?... There are many more examples and you will realize that Etios is not such an exception. On the other side, Etios has 6-8 months waiting. I know atleast 5 persons who went and booked the Etios without even looking at the car in the showroom, leave aside TD. So, in a price and KMPL conscious market of India, vehicles like Etios, Alto will always sell. Cheap to maintain and damn cheap to run.

Solution: Pick the best package that you get within your budget. No car/company in India or even in the world is perfect.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:42   #217
BHPian

Saw a blue coloured LIVA yesterday with blanked out name plates.
Followed it for around 3 kms on a road which isn't butter smooth.
Was surprised at the way it rode. It was riding like a car which weighs
much more. Guess the wider tires are the reason.
Finally it disappeared into the Lanson Toyota compound.

Frrom the rear it looks a cheaper cousin of first gen i10.
Old 24th June 2011, 17:30   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Hey Neeld, from where did you got that link? There isn't any mention on toyota's website regarding LIVA. I can understand following case though :

www. toyotabharat.com /cars/new_cars/in_etios/index.aspx
www. toyotabharat.com /cars/new_cars/in_liva/index.aspx
Yes, I had done that, but it looks they have taken down the site.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:31   #219
BHPian

Note from Mod : GTO's Liva test-drive report has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion on the review thread.

Toyota Etios Liva review: Toyota thinks small

Similar to what I wrote about Etios, Toyota sure knows what they are doing. This vehicle, with something for everyone - with good back seating space, reasonable boot is going to be a another run away success. It does not matter that many in Team BHP do not like the looks of Liva (it did not matter for Etios, it did not matter for Swift - esp. the interiors -, it did not matter for Dzire), this vehicle will pose serious threat to Swift. My gut feel is that based on the feedback from users, Toyota will pack a punch in the Diesel avatar of both Etios and Liva. This car can seriously pose challenge even for Polo and can hurt Punto where it hurts. This is not to offend anyone owning any of the cars that I have mentioned. I had made a similar comment prior to the launch of Etios.

Off the topic, By the by, am evaluating multiple vehicles - from Etios, Jazz, Verna and Manza. My mind says Etios but my heart is playing Jazz. Toyota Dealer are telling me that they can accede to my request for a quick delivery of Etios - if I go in for Etios it would be either V or VX in Greying Blue color. On the other hand, am getting a terrific discount that is likely to be sweetened further in the days to come !! Will keep posted.

Last edited by GTO : 27th June 2011 at 14:14. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks