Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2011, 21:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva to Roll Out soon. EDIT : End-June Launch confirmed!

Looks like the rear bumper of the test mule got a bad hit already.

That rear chrome strip definitely looks every inch an unwanted attachment. Had it been on any other car would have qualified for the weird and wacky mod thread.
Same is the case with the Mahindra Verito also.

Last edited by rajeev k : 4th June 2011 at 21:06.
Old 4th June 2011, 21:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Being a Toyota--->bullet proof reliability is ensured. Engine could've been a 4 pot though. The design is what gets me confused here ? What were they trying to achieve a etios and fiat 500 put into one??
Old 5th June 2011, 08:58   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
When I agree with you that this takes away the conventional "looks" of the car, its not ergonomically bad. When I TDed Vista which has a centre console, I found the visibility to be really good. I was so apprehensive of it till I did the TD. And I still remember that feature getting a lot of basing on the forum, majority from those who never even saw that in person.
Hey swiftnfurious, I took your advice and checked out the (Etios) interiors in person yesterday. You're right, after the initial shock wears out the ergs of a centrally mounted console are good, it's a matter of getting used to, tsall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Spotted this test car on PUNE-Bangalore highway.
Car looks good / spacious.
Nice pics KALINGA. That'sa neat colour too. Looks smaller than I expected somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post

That rear chrome strip definitely looks every inch an unwanted attachment. Had it been on any other car would have qualified for the weird and wacky mod thread.
Exactly! What is it with that thick strip of chrome? It makes the car look cheap and cheesy. Some market researcher found out that Indians love chrome and this is the result: looks like Iron Man threw up on the back of the car
Old 5th June 2011, 09:51   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Being a Toyota--->bullet proof reliability is ensured. Engine could've been a 4 pot though. The design is what gets me confused here ? What were they trying to achieve a etios and fiat 500 put into one??
I believe the engine to be 4 pot one though. Not sure will check and reconfirm. Also heard that this is a downsized engine of the 1.5 litre version.
Old 5th June 2011, 17:17   #95
BHPian

@Kalinga: Thanks for the pics.

Boy, am I glad the Liva doesn't wear shoddy black chunk of plastic as a substitute rear quarter glass. The Etios does, and it looks hideous on the car.

Just in case someone from Toyota is reading this post: Agreed, you cut costs here and there to serve a VFM product, but why advertise your cost cutting? An exposed plastic part sharing space with a car's external panels only ugly-fies the car. Period.
Old 5th June 2011, 19:08   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I believe the engine to be 4 pot one though. Not sure will check and reconfirm. Also heard that this is a downsized engine of the 1.5 litre version.

Autocar carries news about the 1.5 litre engine being launched later to spice things up. Someone on this thread has posted about the engine being a 4 cylinder unit apparently confirmed by OD Dec 10 issue. Will be good if someone can re-confirm it

Last edited by shashank.nk : 5th June 2011 at 19:11.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:13   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Autocar carries news about the 1.5 litre engine being launched later to spice things up. Someone on this thread has posted about the engine being a 4 cylinder unit apparently confirmed by OD Dec 10 issue. Will be good if someone can re-confirm it
Its confirmed by everyone in media that Etios Liva hatchback is coming with 1.2 litre, 4-cylinder DOHC Petrol engine only, which is actually a downsized version of 1.5l petrol engine of Etios sedan.
Both engines will be having a same basic architecture but will differ in their Bore & stroke sizes though.
Expect class leading FE figures of around 22-23kmpl(ARAI) for this Liva hatchback.
Old 6th June 2011, 19:31   #98
BHPian

Also expect a very good power-to-weight ratio. Expected weight of the is around 850-900(just an estimation). For the sake of comparison--an i20 weighing around 1065 kgs also produces a power of 80bhp.
Old 6th June 2011, 20:58   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Its confirmed by everyone in media that Etios Liva hatchback is coming with 1.2 litre, 4-cylinder DOHC Petrol engine only, which is actually a downsized version of 1.5l petrol engine of Etios sedan.
Both engines will be having a same basic architecture but will differ in their Bore & stroke sizes though.
Expect class leading FE figures of around 22-23kmpl(ARAI) for this Liva hatchback.
Thanks for the confirmation CRtorquefan. Good to hear that Toyota hasn't gone the VW way and is giving us a 4 cylinder engine. Cant wait for the review's, if it really is ~900 kgs with 80 bhp it will be a rocket!
Old 6th June 2011, 22:30   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Also expect a very good power-to-weight ratio. Expected weight of the is around 850-900(just an estimation). For the sake of comparison--an i20 weighing around 1065 kgs also produces a power of 80bhp.
If the expected weight of the Liva is about 850 kgs, then the power-to-weight ratio may be quite similar to the I10, which is 855 kgs and produces 80 bhp. But the estimated ARAI FE of 22-23 kmpl is indeed excellent for a petrol car and the Liva could well compete with the Nano as the most efficient petrol engine in the country.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:39   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Etios weight just 930 kgs and has 90 PS power. So should we expect Liva at least 50 kgs lighter? Or more than that? And how much power is expected from the downsized power-plant ?
Old 7th June 2011, 01:07   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And how much power is expected from the downsized power-plant ?
As per various reviews, Power from Etios Liva's 1.2l DOHC engine is expected to be in the region of 78-80PS only.
Like Etios sedan, its engine is also tuned more to provide the fuel efficiency than providing outright performance.
which is further going to be benefitted by the lower kerb weight of the car(~890kgs).
Old 7th June 2011, 09:00   #103
BHPian

Today, on my way to office, could see atleast 5 brand new Livas parked inside the Mathan hotel (on the old airport road). There was one OB van of Bloomberg TV also infront of the hotel. Seems there is some demo for media ? ( or is it some soft launch) ?
Old 7th June 2011, 09:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Today, on my way to office, could see atleast 5 brand new Livas parked inside the Mathan hotel (on the old airport road). There was one OB van of Bloomberg TV also infront of the hotel. Seems there is some demo for media ? ( or is it some soft launch) ?
I think Toyota has invited some of the auto journalist for reviewing the Liva prior to the June 27th Launch.
Old 7th June 2011, 16:49   #105
BHPian

New Liva Launch 27th June

Guys, just spoke to one of the dealers and got this info. can anyone confirm this
Closed Thread

Most Viewed