Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 20:47   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Altis Launch 16th June !!! New Liva Launch 27th June

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Not for arguments sake, but I drove a close friends Laura for about 20km drive. It stalled 5 times during that period though it had terrific engine response. How can it be termed a Driver's Car when its stalling issue is a known issue and quite widespread (read it on many forums). .
The stalling on the Laura TSI is due to the clutch sensitivity setting on the car. You actually don't need to release the clutch as much as some other cars, like the Corolla for instance, to get going. This is the primary reason for many people stalling it the first time they drive it. It hardly takes a couple of drives for a good driver to realise the 'stall point' of the clutch, if you will. I have just bought a Laura TSI a month back after having owned a Corolla for eight years (still continue to do so). To be honest I did stall the Laura a few times over the first couple of days. But I can't remember stalling the engine ever since. The Corolla is a terrific all round car no doubt, but when it comes to which car is a better driver's car, I don't think the Corolla stands a chance in front of the Laura TSI.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The stalling on the Laura TSI is due to the clutch sensitivity setting on the car. You actually don't need to release the clutch as much as some other cars, like the Corolla for instance, to get going. This is the primary reason for many people stalling it the first time they drive it. It hardly takes a couple of drives for a good driver to realise the 'stall point' of the clutch, if you will. I have just bought a Laura TSI a month back after having owned a Corolla for eight years (still continue to do so). To be honest I did stall the Laura a few times over the first couple of days. But I can't remember stalling the engine ever since. The Corolla is a terrific all round car no doubt, but when it comes to which car is a better driver's car, I don't think the Corolla stands a chance in front of the Laura TSI.
Definitely Laura is a fine car and many congrats on your purchase. However, it is about 3-4 lacs costlier than the Corolla, and falls in a category above. A new Skoda is always a pleasure to drive. But when my relatives Octavia went in for a clutch overhaul and little tit bit other jobs, after 3 years of ownership, he was shocked to see the 1 lac rupees bill. Just for comparison, a clutch overhaul of the Corolla costs 6-7 thousand rupees. My 7 year old Corolla and 9 year old Qualis are easily serviceable even at generic service stations in Meerut. The horror stories with Skoda ownership are well documented and widespread on Team-BHP. When I buy a car, its not for 3 years of ownership, but a complete experience over a 7-8 years period. So for me a company like Skoda does not inspire confidence even though they may make fine automobiles. Like I said in my previous post, for a car to comply with a "complete" driver's car tag, there are many factors to be considered in Indian conditions and each person has a different point of view. What I'm stating is mine...
Old 20th June 2011, 21:39   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely Laura is a fine car and many congrats on your purchase. However, it is about 3-4 lacs costlier than the Corolla, and falls in a category above. A new Skoda is always a pleasure to drive. But when my relatives Octavia went in for a clutch overhaul and little tit bit other jobs, after 3 years of ownership, he was shocked to see the 1 lac rupees bill. Just for comparison, a clutch overhaul of the Corolla costs 6-7 thousand rupees. My 7 year old Corolla and 9 year old Qualis are easily serviceable even at generic service stations in Meerut. The horror stories with Skoda ownership are well documented and widespread on Team-BHP. When I buy a car, its not for 3 years of ownership, but a complete experience over a 7-8 years period. So for me a company like Skoda does not inspire confidence even though they may make fine automobiles. Like I said in my previous post, for a car to comply with a "complete" driver's car tag, there are many factors to be considered in Indian conditions and each person has a different point of view. What I'm stating is mine...
I totally agree with you about the Skoda's cost of ownership worries. The Corolla has been a terrific car to own and has been throughly satisfying which is one of the reasons I desisted from selling it . Even after eight years it is running just like new, requiring nothing other than periodic service. But a driver's car in my opinion is something that delivers that extra special feeling to the driver in terms of the drive, the power, the control , handling etc.... All other things like A.S.S, cost of ownership etc... do not come into contention as far as carrying a 'driver's car' tag is concerned IMO.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:48   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
delivers that extra special feeling to the driver in terms of the drive, the power, the control , handling etc....
For that I'm planning to upgrade my Corolla to a BMW 320D, which in my dictionary qualifies as another "complete" drivers car (although in a bracket above) and is next on my hitlist, when the heart will overpower the brain...

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2011 at 21:53.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:52   #185
PCS
BHPian

LIVA LAUNCH DETAILS

27th June, 12.00 PM
Hotel Grand, New Delhi, Vasanth Kunj,
NEXT TO MARUTI SUZUKI HEAD OFFICE

1.2L, 80 PS petrol engine
18.31 KMPL ARAI MILEAGE
7 colours, 5 grades (Similiar to Etios, J, G, G SP, V, VX)
Old 21st June 2011, 00:06   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
LIVA LAUNCH DETAILS
1.2L, 80 PS petrol engine
18.31 KMPL ARAI MILEAGE
7 colours, 5 grades (Similiar to Etios, J, G, G SP, V, VX)
Any idea where the pricing is going to start? I read somewhere that it might start at 4L ex showroom.
Old 21st June 2011, 00:19   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
LIVA LAUNCH DETAILS

27th June, 12.00 PM
Hotel Grand, New Delhi, Vasanth Kunj,
NEXT TO MARUTI SUZUKI HEAD OFFICE
Toyota seems to be making it clear on whom they are targeting with the Liva...
Old 21st June 2011, 09:42   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any idea where the pricing is going to start? I read somewhere that it might start at 4L ex showroom.
Since there are 5 trim levels, I think the base version can be priced very competitively to trump the competition as they did it for the Etios sedan.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:03   #189
BHPian

I got a call from my Toyota dealer about a get-together this Sunday (26th) at the showroom. This invitation is for all Toyota owners. I guess other Toyota dealers in Mumbai too might have arranged something similar. I have this feeling they want to apprise us of the Liva launch which apparently is on 27th as per reports above. I am not likely to attend the meet due to other commitments.
Old 21st June 2011, 10:05   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely Laura is a fine car and many congrats on your purchase. However, it is about 3-4 lacs costlier than the Corolla, and falls in a category above.
Not really unless you are comparing the Laura TDi with the petrol Corolla. The TSi Laura should around the same price as the mid variant of the Corolla (1.8 G). The Laura (Petrol) is targeted at the same category as the Altis/Civic IMO. In India, its the perceived brand image of Skoda that puts it in a higher segment.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 21st June 2011 at 10:08.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:44   #191
Senior - BHPian

BSM have posted flash review report of the Liva & it available online as well as in Jul-11 issue. Here is the link to the same:

Toyota Etios Liva review: Toyota thinks small

with the Swift being delayed by a quarter (as per rumours on various forums) I guess things can never be better for the hatch, till the time diesel version is launched.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:50   #192
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Blue LIVA from back and 1st thing came to my mind was that this car is Toyota Etios and later when i came near got to know it is a hatchback LIVA and not the Sedan Etios.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:30   #193
PCS
BHPian

:

Toyota Etios Liva review: Toyota thinks small

with the Swift being delayed by a quarter (as per rumours on various forums) I guess things can never be better for the hatch, till the time diesel version is launched.[/quote]

Just Read the BSM Article on LIVA

Does Toyota have winner in their hands ? Am totally confused

It does nothing great, but does things equally well

- Good Space
- Decent Engine Power & Economy
- VFM (considering 4-6 lacs)
- Toyota Badge (less maintenance)
- Decnt looking if not awesome
- Decent specs

Dont know where will Liva land up at the end ?

Guys can we have some discussion on this ?

Please let me know what do you guys think ?
Attached Thumbnails
New Altis Launch 16th June !!!   New Liva Launch 27th June-1308646721d3694.jpg  

New Altis Launch 16th June !!!   New Liva Launch 27th June-1308646721a3694.jpg  

Last edited by PCS : 21st June 2011 at 20:35.
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:47   #194
BHPian

The Liva externally looks pretty good. From the front, its hard to differentiate between the Etios & Liva. I really wish Toyota had done something about the interiors of the Liva. It looks very bad. The center mounted console and the A/C vents spoil the look totally.

Maruti needs to get in the new Swift ASAP to counter the Liva challenge. The diesel in the Swift will be a huge advantage over the Liva which has to wait for the diesel variant.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 22nd June 2011 at 10:50.
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:36   #195
BANNED

a cruze AT on road bombay is 17 laks. its a freaking joke. altis AT is also 17 laks or so. i dont know why these cheap normal costs cost a fortune for no reason
Closed Thread

Most Viewed