Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 14:22   #16
BANNED

Re: What a "Traffic Reporter" actually does

Hey Nithin, you are doing a brilliant job. We are all happy to know people like you are in there.

You guys had an sms system sometime back, to report jams and other issues. It seems its not working now. Any idea why? I thought it was a great initiative.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:24   #17
BHPian

Wow Nitin, Thanks for the informative post. Has there been a scenario where a traffic cop is seen taking bribe in those cameras ?

Does the control room also monitor the junctions where a cop is deployed but is missing from his duty ?

You are doing an awesome job and keep it up buddy.
Old 13th June 2011, 14:33   #18
BHPian

Nitin - thanks for sharing your work profile. You are a 'well connected' person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Wow Nitin, Thanks for the informative post. Has there been a scenario where a traffic cop is seen taking bribe in those cameras ?

Does the control room also monitor the junctions where a cop is deployed but is missing from his duty ?
Great questions! Another one to add to this list.
Does the department also assist in determining person at fault in case of an accident? On the road, it's one party's word against the other. This footage should help in determining the wrongdoer in accidents if easily available to motorists.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Does the department also assist in determining person at fault in case of an accident? On the road, it's one party's word against the other. This footage should help in determining the wrongdoer in accidents if easily available to motorists.
The police are usually tasked with the job of recording the facts and statements. Deciding who is at fault is the job of the courts, not the police. But yes, you could ask him if his team can provide video footage as evidence in case of an accident.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nitin,

Is the TMC software totally hack free. Coz I was just remembering the scene from the "Italian Job" where the "Noopster" hacks into the system to divert the traffic by changing the traffic signals.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Nitin,

Is the TMC software totally hack free. Coz I was just remembering the scene from the "Italian Job" where the "Noopster" hacks into the system to divert the traffic by changing the traffic signals.
That again brings us to the question whether you can control the signals through the TMC. If you cannot, then you don't need to worry much about the hacking part i guess.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrisarkar View Post
That again brings us to the question whether you can control the signals through the TMC. If you cannot, then you don't need to worry much about the hacking part i guess.
Surely the camera signals must be feeding into the TMC who would/should be able to control the traffic signals. If it done manually for eg in case of jam the nearest traffic official is aksed to clear the jam then would this help if there is no official in the vicinity.

I think as Nitin described his profile, he is responsible for reporting any jams, taking action might be some one else's responsibility.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:59   #23

@ghodlur: not every junction has a camera. So in these cases, the cops at the junction report to the control room over the wireless and take help from the neighboring junctions to enable movement
And I have no idea how secure the software is so I cannot comment on it, sorry mate. Does this also happen in the Indian version of robbery movies :P lol

@atrisarkar: yes they can control it from the TMC like I mentioned before.

@Ironh4ak: yes I report it myself on Radio One. Other stations, we (Indian Traffic Network Media) send information.

@dot: I think it is in a few. But Im sure a lot of cities would come up with the same. It was in the news a few days ago…. Wait for the pics, u will see how it looks as well…

@spitfire: If you are referring to BTP sms service, Im not too sure why it is stopped. As of now lot of ppl txt and call me to report jams, also on our FB pages. I don’t know if I can post phone numbers here….?? If yes then I will give you the numbers to reach our team.

@sam_boy: every cop knows the position of the cameras….I think that should answer the question

@mmxylorider and honeybee: yes, if there is a conflict, the recordings are checked(very rare chance that the accident happens under the cameras). Im not sure if a civilian can access this without a formal complaint. But I have seen one case where a car driver and BMTC guy came here to sort things (atleast that is wat I concluded hearing to the conversation).
Old 13th June 2011, 20:03   #24

This is the way junctions are monitored. Will get more pics shortly
Old 14th June 2011, 10:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Awesome information Nithin. Looking forward more in-depth working of TMC's.
Might be silly to ask you, but just because you are in touch with the top people of traffic management, here is a question.
Why do they have bus stops just after/at the traffic signal ? Generally buses cross the signal and stop bang on the middle of the road causing inconvenience . Why they cannot have it more further than the signal.
Old 14th June 2011, 11:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NithinPawar View Post
@mmxylorider and honeybee: yes, if there is a conflict, the recordings are checked(very rare chance that the accident happens under the cameras). Im not sure if a civilian can access this without a formal complaint. But I have seen one case where a car driver and BMTC guy came here to sort things (atleast that is wat I concluded hearing to the conversation).
I'm no legal expert, but just wanted to know if a civilian can get access to the recordings using RTI. As the transport dept. is a public office, I think he should be able to.

BTW, @Nithin : This came up in today's TOI. Nice job.
Old 14th June 2011, 12:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

hey Nitin! heard you on the radio this morning while my wife and i were having breakfast! wifey was listening to 94.3 when the traffic update came up. you've a nice deep voice

have a question - since you say you announce the traffic situation, how do you connect to the radio station? i mean, you call them up on phone and they put you on air or do you have a dedicated line?

PS: it is sad that they make you read out the ads too
Old 14th June 2011, 18:15   #28

@IronH4wk: I call them up on the phone lines. I guess you can notice slight dip in the volume levels too.

@rk: I have no idea, many people complain about t, but I think it involves planning and there might be some logic to it. However that was my opinion..... I'm not qualified to answer officially, I'm only a civilian
NithinPawar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 22:01   #29
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NithinPawar View Post

This is the way junctions are monitored. Will get more pics shortly
Nice.
Please post some more. And it is not too much, a video of the going-ons!
Old 15th June 2011, 23:42   #30
BHPian

Good to know "Behind the Scenes"in the TMC. A nice write up to let every one know the life of a "Traffic reporter". Thank you for lending a great helping hand in keeping the bengalurians updated about traffic.

Most Viewed