Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: TRY being honest... How reliable are your posts?
I’ve driven all the vehicles I comment on 11 21.57%
I’ve driven almost 99% of the vehicles I comment on 6 11.76%
I’ve driven most of the vehicles I comment on 18 35.29%
I’ve driven a few vehicles I comment on 14 27.45%
Forget having driven the vehicles I comment on, I haven’t even sat in most of the vehicles I comment on 1 1.96%
I haven’t driven the vehicles I comment on, but have traveled in them for a considerable amount of time/ distance 1 1.96%
Whether driven or not, my comments biased 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2006, 15:00   #1
BANNED

Do you TEST and then comment? Is your opinion worth it?

Off late, I've noticed that a lot of people make posts based on hearsay/ what they read in auto magazines and without any real experience with the vehicles they comment on. Apart from that, there are also those who make biased posts instead of being fair irrespective of the vehicle being discussed and all this does is distort the truth we all seek. As I can't have two polls in one thread, I've left out the biased opinions bit and focused on how much real life experience one has had with the vehicle he or she comments on. I hope we will all be honest while voting on this poll and will not refrain from voting.

Once again, I urge you all to be honest while voting, thanks.

NOTE! This does not include vehicles yet to be launched etc. ... Those posts are not what are in question, we are discussing Indian cars that are up for grabs already.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 1st February 2006 at 15:05.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Its called being a human being

Over time, you will get a fair idea about whose opinion to trust and whose not to.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:14   #3
BANNED

Hey,

Great topic. I have also observed that there are a large number of people who will post/comment on everything under the sun irrespective whether they know what they are talking about or not. There are people who make comments on overheard conversations, from magazines, movies and some from pure imagination.

There are people who have not driven 95% of the cars they comment on yet choose to argue. Its amazing at the amount of geniuses we have here(whether they are allowed to drive/have driven/or have the experience as most of them are barely in their early 20's). Not to mention the school kids who get personal when anything is said about the car company they like/drive. They behave like they own the company high time they grow up and start acting mature.

Viper

PS- No offense to anyone its just an observation.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:18   #4
BHPian

Most of us give an opinion on the vehicles that we have driven at some point of time. But our opnions are based on other people's comments as well. For example some guy asks me whether he should buy a SAN storm or a Zen, I'd always advise him to buy a Zen. Mind you I've NEVER been even near to a SAN storm! But somehow based on others' opinion, I know that Zen is a better buy. So there you are.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:24   #5
BANNED

I salute and respect the level of honesty you have shown while casting your vote, MalluDude. Very few have what it takes to be openly honest.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 1st February 2006 at 15:26.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:27   #6
BHPian

Viper and MD both are quite spot on.
I try to avoid talking about cars I have never driven or even sat in (which is most of the D/E segment cars) but then of course its only human to comment on something seen/heard/read many times and what you analyse from that.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:28   #7
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I think there's more to it than .. if one has driven a car or not!....
Not all topics being discussed here are related to driver's experience behind the wheel!... someone asks me is a 800 quicker or a wagon R??... I don't need to have driven any of the cars to answer that!

So there is a lot of knowledge one gains from reading..... to say that, one shouldn't share it just because he doesn't have first hand experience with it!.. isn't valid in all situations.

Having said all that, I think this is a serious issue. Specially when someone is relying on our opinion for buying a car (read expending a huge amount).. .. and people go out and share whatever they have heard/ believe/ dreamt!!!

The solution could be to specify in every post if the opinion is based on first hand experience, if not then what source!
Old 1st February 2006, 15:34   #8
BHPian

Well I stick to commenting on cars I have driven. But everyone has their individual opinions and they should be given the oppurtunity to justfy their claims and comments. Personally I choose not to comment on cars i haven't driven.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

As SLK pointed out, there are some obvious answers which you can have a say at because of your experience/knowledge (a lot of which is gained through this website only).
I try to air my opinions more on my interest area (ie small cars) rather than commenting on which is faster: C220 or Skoda RS.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:42   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have driven almost every Indian car on sale. A majority of them extensively.

GTO
Old 1st February 2006, 15:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

I clicked on the first choice assuming we are talking about driving comments. After reading other posts I have to put some qualifications here.

I do comment on vehicles I haven't driven as long as comments are about looks, safety, price, tyre choices, etc. I don't have to drive the swift before hating it's look.

If somebody asks about ride comfort, I wouldn't comment unless I have sat in it. I wouldn't comment about handling or other drivng parameters unless I have driven it.
Old 1st February 2006, 15:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well as others have said you learn from all sources and by yourself, and also rightly said by Rtech, you learn to trust someone's opinions over a period of time. Hence it is called experience, however a comment is made at a random time hence may not be on one's experience.

So it is up to all of us to judge each comment and percieve it as experience or just a comment.
Old 1st February 2006, 16:12   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
rather than commenting on which is faster: C220 or Skoda RS.
LOL! Where did that come from?

GTO
Old 1st February 2006, 16:14   #14
BHPian

has anybody noticed that even after being on this forum for such a long time, i have less # of posts. the reason being that i dont try and comment on anything that i havent tested.

yes surely on this forum you have got to be very careful while saying anything coz many people depend on this grt forum for true advises. but if you know somehting about a car by hearing about it from somebody close to you then it should be surely put on this forum without having driven the car itself.

for eg, i drove my friend's car ( i m not mentioning the name of the car) which was a grt in comfort, ride and looks but FE was very low. now with my driving it once or twice i could not evaluate the FE but i came to know about it only from his tales about how much he has to fill up everytime inspite of his driving without A/c

so my opinion is posts should be genuine and when they are not, tbhpians are very smart to know what is wrong where.

shubbhi
Old 1st February 2006, 16:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45
yes surely on this forum you have got to be very careful while saying anything coz many people depend on this grt forum for true advises. but if you know somehting about a car by hearing about it from somebody close to you then it should be surely put on this forum without having driven the car itself
Very true .. I do feel all members have a responsibility to post honestly and be unbiased .. and to also debate on anything that you may find to be misleading information. And sometimes one can do so based on information received from someone you trust; something you have read earlier in T-BHP itself maybe ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
I clicked on the first choice assuming we are talking about driving comments. After reading other posts I have to put some qualifications here.
I chose 3rd and would like to put the same qualifications. There are certain areas you can comment on without driving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
Over time, you will get a fair idea about whose opinion to trust and whose not to.
Works for me !! But then I have the luxury of spending regular hours on the forum for more than 6 months now .. not so regular BHPians and guests may get easily misled.

I think as long as one speaks based on facts/experience, stays unbiased and refrains from passing sweeping generic judgements it should be fine .. tough ask, eh ?

@Boom .. great thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks