Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 09:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV

Today I was looking for some information on Mitsubishi's global model lineup. Like many manufacturers, Mitsubishi also has specific vehicles for developing regions, even though they are miniscule in number. While spending some time on Mitsubishi's Philippines and Vietnam websites, I came across this pretty interesting MPV called the zinger (fuzion in philippines).

Now why I am writing about this here is because this vehicle makes some nice sense to the Indian market. Some research on its history at wikipedia shows that it was designed and developed in collaboration with Mitsubishi China for Chinese market and currently is only sold in Vietnam and Philippines. The design dates back to 2005 but 6 years on, it still looks fresh though bland and does resemble the innova to some extent. The front end resembles a jacked up cedia while the rear a mix of outlander and a typical minivan. The markets where its sold have the same 2.4 petrol MIVEC as the Indian outlander but our market obviously is diesel driven. Mitsubishi does have a VVT diesel option (yes, you read it right, a VVT diesel CRDI) in the outlander abroad which can be plonked into this vehicle and sold in our market in the price band of 7-10 lakhs.

The interiors look pretty radical and polarizing though but the legroom seems amazing in all three rows. Now the big question remains-costs involved in RHD conversion but IIRC the vietnam market is RHD so importing CKD kits and assembling here at Chennai should not be a problem.

God knows if or not HM will ever launch this in India but a huge opportunity does exist and this vehicle should make for an interesting alternative to the innova with the Mitsubishi badge and the reliability quotient associated with it. What say folks?
Attached Thumbnails
Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger1.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger2.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger3.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger4.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger5.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger6.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger7.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger8.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger9.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger11.jpg  

Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV-mitsubishizinger12.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 13th June 2011 at 09:25.
Old 13th June 2011, 09:32   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Zinger/ Fuzion MPV

If it was launched in the early 2000s when Mitsubishi still had a good brand name, then it would have given a tough fight to the Innova. However, unless Mitsubishi underprices Toyota, it cannot compete with Toyota due to its now poorer brand value.
Mitsubishi should first look at launching the new Lancer and Outlander with the diesel engines, and once it has built up its brand value over time, they could consider launching this, albeit a newer and more modern version, as this is still quite dated to look at inside out.
Old 13th June 2011, 09:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Should make perfect sense for India, but since it’s a Mitsubishi/HM god knows what’s in store. Infact MPVs of these kind make perfect sense for us (another example is Mitsubishi Grandis), and I opened a generic thread sometime back on the same topic

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rket-mpvs.html
Old 13th June 2011, 10:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
it cannot compete with Toyota due to its now poorer brand value.
Innova is still not an all conqueror. Mitsubishi could build a better vehicle inside out as they are entering late. And price it close to the Innova, and you could still have a winner. Better interior quality, better AC, better driveability- This is what this car could address
Old 13th June 2011, 11:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
While spending some time on Mitsubishi's Philippines and Vietnam websites, I came across this pretty interesting MPV called the zinger (fuzion in philippines).
What say folks?
Aa the Zinger, this is the MPV i travel by often here in Vietnam, rightly said this is a comfortable MPV and popular in Vietnam. But knowing HM, i doubt they will launch this MPV back home.

The MPV looks good & drives well. Most of the MNC here have the zinger as their transport for the employees along with Toyota HiAce, Ford Transit. While Innova & Vios is mostly used by private taxis.

Will share some pics when i can.
Old 13th June 2011, 11:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

There are dreams and there are dreams LOL. Mitsu has become a mystery to me. And I just cannot understand why they dont want to sell some vehicles in India.
But anyways since we are playing this game, here is another super optimistic thought:

" Why not plonk that diesel engine in the current Outlander in India? "
Old 13th June 2011, 12:07   #7
BHPian

HM and Mitsu have disappointed Indian customers by not only not bringing their line-up, but also not being clear about their plans and delaying stated launches.

I think it must also be said that a rising yen may have put the cars' pricing well above the respective segments. Anyway much has been spoken about it in the forum.

I like the looks of Zinger.

Cheers,
Old 13th June 2011, 12:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why not plonk that diesel engine in the current Outlander in India? "
IMHO, Outlander is the most smart SUV in India these days. I can't stop admiring it every time I see it on the road and putting up diesel engine will surely help the company. Not sure why have not they done it yet.
Old 13th June 2011, 12:17   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
IMHO, Outlander is the most smart SUV in India these days. I can't stop admiring it every time I see it on the road and putting up diesel engine will surely help the company. Not sure why have not they done it yet.
1. The car is loaded with equipment.
2. All Mitsu cars are fabulous to drive and this is no exception.
3. Killer looks!
4. More suited for city drives which is where most SUVs are anyways driven.

So why is it not selling in numbers: No Diesel option!

Why cannot they introduce a Diesel option is something that I cannot understand. Maybe the Mods can throw some light on what they feel is the reason.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:02   #10
BHPian

The problem with Mitsubishi in India is that they see the Indian market through the eyes of their partner HM. Which, as most of you will agree, is not a very good thing. Also, Mitsubishi is a relatively smaller player in the global automotive market and hence they need to be cautious when they take risks (read investments in new markets). The rest of the South-east Asian economies — Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc. — are better revenue generators and they have a better pulse of those markets.

How can a local automaker that still believes can make money by selling a 70 year old vehicle convince Mitsubishi to expand its product portfolio in India?
Old 14th June 2011, 09:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

the name Zinger reminds me of a KFC meal!

anyway looking at the MMC Zinger, it looks dated and out of times.

i think if toyota qualis could be dumped in india from thailand, so could zinger!

but the indian market has grown over the years in terms of quality and specifications of the products sold in india.

after getting used to Innova, im sure people want better and newer products, rather than reviving dead products.

i belive MMC lost its bearings in india by launching outdated products in india....imagine the three generation old dead pajero still being sold to us!!

Last edited by Parm : 14th June 2011 at 09:37.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:42   #12
BHPian

We indians should not hope something good from mitsubishi, Sad to see the higly potetial company is spoiled in the hands of HM. Mitsubishi had the worlds first common rail diesel with VVT , Why they are not bringing 4N13 and 4N14 engines in lancer and outlander. They have great potential and latest weapons in thier arsenal but do not know how use it and bag the sales
Old 24th June 2011, 21:40   #13
BHPian

Although this thread is about the MPV, cant resist wishing that Mitsubishi brings in diesel engines on their Lancer range. Mitsubishi s' are such fabulous cars to drive. But theirs and their partner HMs attitude is to be blamed. When i was shopping for a sedan in 2008, they could not arrange a TD on two occasions when i went to their showroom!!
Old 28th June 2011, 15:19   #14
BHPian

Venkat, I am writing from Manila Philippines and have closely followed Mitsubishi's portfolio here in last 2+ years that I have lived here. It was always no 2 to Toyota in terms of sales but miles ahead of Honda, Hyundai, Ford, Chevy and the rest of companies. Since April 2011, Mitsubishi has toppled Toyota from its no 1 position and have actually gone past it by a handsome margin.

Mitsubishi has a huge presence here and is a very strong brand, no wonder they are no no 1 car company. Filipinos buy Mitsubishi without any worries just the way Suzuki is lapped up by the Indians. In terms of models, they have almost everything out of their stable. Sedans like Lancer (Cedia in India), Lancer Ex, Lancer Ex Ralliart, Lancer Evo (much better priced than India) and Galant SE. SUVs like ASX, Montero Sports, Pajero (Montero in India). MPVs like Grandis, Adventure and Fuzion. They have an amazing pick up truck Strada.

Now with that kind of model line up no doubt they have taken the no 1 position. Most of these vehicles are segment leaders. I wish if Mitsubishi had brought some of these models to India, they would not have been in the state they are in currently. They really should bring Lancer EX and ASX or RVR as it is called in some of the markets.

By the way, I owned Cedia in India and Galant now in Philippines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks