Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 17:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000!

What a time for this thread!
So we have booked the Honda City a couple of days ago.
got a disc of
50K cash
20K accessories
70K Total

We booked the ANHC V AT Exclusive
Delivery is sometime around the 19th
So the price change would be in effect by then.

My Q and concern
Will i get the benefit of 44K? as mostly dealers say that the on road price on delivery will be final.
If i speak, will the dealership say, YES Sir we can offer you the new price, but then no further discounts. resulting in me being the loser.
Any ideas on how i should approach this delicate issue?

Usually don't ask for help in negotiating with the dealerships, but this one has me fumbled.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:16   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
If both the rumour and the fact are looked at together, looks like the charlies running Honda, India are getting their butts whacked by the brass at HQ and are trying to be proactive.
After all the talk and fuel hikes, Ithink this can only be termed as reactive, not proactive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Jazz should also come down by a 50-70k and it will also make a lot of sense. Jazz is a wonderful product from Honda, only badly hit by its price.
In a way, they are only confirming the official price against the 70K discount being offered by them. Till now, it was something like a clothes sale; mark it up 20% and then offer a 15% discount.
Now what happens to existing owners; do we get some goodies from Honda for buying their over priced stuff?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
My Q and concern
Will i get the benefit of 44K? as mostly dealers say that the on road price on delivery will be final.
If i speak, will the dealership say, YES Sir we can offer you the new price, but then no further discounts. resulting in me being the loser.
Usually don't ask for help in negotiating with the dealerships, but this one has me fumbled.
mdsaab; AFAIK the new discounts have been included in the price that you have paid/ will pay. If you can, try to have a casual (read informal) word with your SA (the efficient one!) and find out if he can do anything else. If he cannot at least you can try to convince yourself that you got the best price that Honda could have offered!

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th June 2011 at 17:30.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugam View Post
Gosh I didn't realize that the S-MT variant cost 8.66L ex showroom of late.
I bought mine in Dec 08 at 8.23L Ex showroom (Chandigarh).
Prices are back to where they started I guess..

On seeing this move, the exact thought in my mind you had put it in words. For me I had picked up my Civvy 4 years ago at atleast 2 lakhs lesser, now if they price the new Civic down by 2 lakhs, its still where they started .
Old 14th June 2011, 17:23   #64
BHPian

Good to see that Honda is finally bowing to competition. Exciting days, especially considering the anticipation surrounding what they'll do with Jazz. There could be many prospective customers like me who would like to own this awesome car, only if it was more VFM. Who knows this move could change Honda's fortunes.

All the best Honda!
Old 14th June 2011, 17:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
got a disc of
50K cash
20K accessories
70K Total

My Q and concern

My feeling is that the dealer has unofficially given this 44k benefits to you . But it will be worth asking them.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:25   #66
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
got a disc of
50K cash
20K accessories
70K Total

My Q and concern

This is indeed tricky. If I were in your position, I would tell them either give me this additional discount on the showroom price or I am going to another dealership.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:25   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Q and concern
That is exactly what I mentioned in my post.

If Honda slashes the price by 44k and the dealer further gives a discount worth 50k, that's a 1 lakh steal!

I think the net equation will remain the same; it' just that Honda will dole out the goodies now. IMO, what the dealer will offer as freebies is mud flaps, floor mats etc. Nothing significant.

You should have a word dealership and see what works best for you; taking the 70k off from the dealer or benefitting from the price cut offered by Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is indeed tricky. If I were in your position, I would tell them either give me this additional discount on the showroom price or I am going to another dealership.
I don't think that is going to be possible - read above.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th June 2011 at 17:27.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:31   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks

On seeing this move, the exact thought in my mind you had put it in words. For me I had picked up my Civvy 4 years ago at atleast 2 lakhs lesser, now if they price the new Civic down by 2 lakhs, its still where they started .
I was tempted to explain economics and inflation saying that X amount 2 years ago does not buy same amount of things today but the price cuts 'prove' this wrong .

Was Honda really making so much money earlier that with commodity prices going up they can still cut the prices. I don't wear a red shirt but the arrogance. Wow! Serves them right.
Old 14th June 2011, 17:34   #69
BHPian

IMO the big difference between prices being reduced and delaer giving discount is that in the former case one benefits more with regards to reduced registration and insurance amount, which is not the case in latter.

Anyone knows the onroad prices in Bangalore now
Old 14th June 2011, 17:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamishra View Post
Commenting on the new price structure, Mr Jnaneswar Sen, Sr. Vice President – Sales & Marketing, Honda Siel Cars India, said, “In anticipation of bigger volumes resulting in economies of scale from the second half of current year, we have achieved considerable cost reduction and are happy to pass on the benefit to the customers.
Funny how economies of scale coincided with a drop in sales. Anyhow, good move from Honda. With rising petrol prices and no diesel model, something had to give and it did. Only a matter of time before they review Jazz prices too.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:01   #71
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! look at the reaction to this thread.
Anything Honda and people just jump to it.
I wonder why Honda has done this. Were the sales so badly affected.
AFAIK , Honda was already offering a cheaper interest rate of 6.99% on the car loans, that means they were already letting go of big commissions as I have read that financiers have not reduced the interest rates and it is the dealer and manufacturers who are taking the hit.

So this price cut, is in addition to that preferential interest rates or this scheme has been withdrawn ?

And as Sugam and Laluks, said, they have just reverted back to their old prices.
It's just a feel good price cut IMO, nothing to cut the real competition IMO but just to soothe the prospective customers nerves
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

I get the feeling that the discounts already on offer might be slightly higher than the new price.

So not Honda gets more footsteps and willing buyers without really taking a big hit financially. Lets hope the Jazz sees a massive price drop! I would have been in love with the City had it not been for the ride and handling.

Waiting to see how the new Fiesta is priced in light of this new interesting development!
Old 14th June 2011, 18:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Question - so it is now official price cut + dealer price cut = fabulous deal?
Also - If they can cut City prices by 40 - 60 K, they should cut Jazz prices by atleast 70-80k. Then watch the Jazz fly off the shelves.
Old 14th June 2011, 18:28   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is VERY dangerous. Can piss off the far larger number of existing City owners who would already be having resale issues courtesy the petrol price. and now this!!

Clearly, they don't have a diesel in their hands and are panicking for volume.

Too little, too late.

Unadhikakritamkritam.
so true!
i am so happy that the most snobbish car maker in india has been brought in line. it was only a matter of time before the "premium on the H" would run out of steam. i'm only surprised it took so much time. no diesels, overpriced cars were bound to be honda's undoing.
welcome honda, to the reality of the indian market!

Quote:
My Q and concern

mdsaab,
i think you should check out with the same or another dealer as a new customer as to what final deal you're getting on the same model, including company and dealer discounts. then you can take that deal to your dealer and ask him if he's willing to give you the same deal on the existing booking. else feel free to cancel your booking and book all over again!
kaiserketkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 18:32   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
After all the talk and fuel hikes, Ithink this can only be termed as reactive, not proactive!

Proactive was used in context of the impending launch of the new Fiesta and any other developments that may happen in the market place. Plus the words I used were "trying to be". Have they become truly proactive? That will be known in the times to come.

The fuel price gyrations are the same for every auto company. I do not see any product pricing adjustments in reaction to fuel price hikes by any auto company. Further no company worth it's salt is going to do this jig every time fuel prices move.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed