Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 16:09   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just spoke to the SA who gave me test drive of Civic, he isnt sure yet about the final discount and would get back to me by evening. What he did indicated that in Namma Benguluru it will be 30-40k cheaper (Top end City).
Bangy guys should be benefitting much more on the top end since its less than 10L ex showroom. With the price coming under 10L, the extra RT[2.5% ?] is also saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Any idea if something similar is going to happen to Civic?
Should be. Even Civic has toppled in sales. Price cuts are the way for Honda to gain some of its lost sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Insider information = Jazz price cut is confirmed. Management speculating on the timing:
As expected. A little too late, but would not hurt. GTO, any idea on the discounts? Expected to be in the same range or even better ?

I would say undercut the pricing of i20 by 10-15K (initially) if features are on par and see the sales shooting up. Later they could jack it up by couple of thousands. Unless people see a fair number of Jazz on road, there is no way the image could be improved.

Edit:: Could anyone compare the base variants of Verna / Vento [variants priced around 7.5L] with City E variant on features list? I know Vento base variant is 6.99L, but how about features when compared with City E variant ?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th June 2011 at 16:12.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:18   #47
BHPian

Quote:
High Points:

- Interestingly, and defying trends, it's the base variant that has the fattest price cut. A strategy for volumes.
Have they removed some bits off the base model? There is a 21K difference to the other model price cuts...

Sad that my cousin bought it a week back and am sure he would have seen this thread. If not, I am forwarding this to him
Old 14th June 2011, 16:21   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

A very good move by Honda. I always felt Honda cars were overpriced, earlier they were successfully able to overprice the cars and still have the very good sales figures. Better late than never. I still find Honda City the best petrol car in the segment, after the dropped prices it is better value too.

Hope they are planning something similar for the Jazz, the only thing stopping it from selling is the price. At a reduced price i cannot think of a better petrol hatchback.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:21   #49
BHPian

Good Move by Honda. IMO the timing is also good (though an earlier move wouldv'e been better). They have reduced the prices before the sales drop to very low levels. This should give them some breathing time to bring in the diesel engine.

This price cut could help them hold on to this segment and bring decent sales figures. In the mean time they could bring in the diesel motor. A rightly priced Diesel Honda City should result in very very good sales figures.

Last edited by benzinblut : 14th June 2011 at 16:40.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:22   #50
BHPian

If it is a good move or bad one only time will tell. A few things we cannot discount, i think its a little late in the day to try and catch back with the competition. Honda should have started working on a strategy once it started losing market share to rival cars.
Also the big diesel is still missing while most of the competitors have both Petrol & Diesel.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:24   #51
BHPian

I am sure everyone will have to say something on this good or bad about HONDA. I think, it is the only way they will be able to survive in India now. Look at other products which are direct competition to Honda City and you would know that it not only lacks a diesel variant which most of us will prefer but also is relatively expensive. Now combine the both and you have a recipe for a flop. I think this is even though a embarrassing move, it will help boost the sales. Sympathies to the people who brought one in the last 6 months or so.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:27   #52
BHPian

I hope honda re-prices Jazz. IMHO, since it is on lower segment, knocking prices down will have a better effect on the customer.

Aside: It seems rediff is reading T-bhp Have a look at this:

Honda slashes City prices by Rs 66,000 - Rediff.com Business
Old 14th June 2011, 16:28   #53
BHPian

Will they still continue to give other offers like Insurance @ Rs. 1 and Corporate Discount ? If yes this will amount to another 35K discounts & will be bang inside ANHV pricing (no discounts in ANHV).
Old 14th June 2011, 16:37   #54
BHPian

* Fact - Price reduction announced by Honda for their Bread and Butter product so to speak.

* Rumour - The product in question is slated for a mid life makeover/facelift. So will the "newer" City come at the reduced price if this rumour translates into fact?

If both the rumour and the fact are looked at together, looks like the charlies running Honda, India are getting their butts whacked by the brass at HQ and are trying to be proactive. As one of the contributors to this thread has stated a price reduction in the current Jazz and in my opinion jazzing up the variant mix in that product class can also help them secure their future better.

Last but not the least, as the majority of the contributors to this thread have already opined till the fuel pricing aberrations exist in India between petrol and diesel , a diesel option can only help them. I do hope they have the presence of mind to realise what is obvious to the aam junta like us.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:49   #55
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...orward-10.html
I(like others in that thread) had hoped for this.
Good, brilliant move by Honda. Proved they are not just Bondas

What about the existing discounts? Will they continue?

Above all, now it's more or less VFM. More or less, because, in my personal opinion 1 lac reduction on the existing model would have been a steal for everyone.No no, I am not being greedy. I had hoped for this in other thread too :-)

Last edited by bkbkr1212 : 14th June 2011 at 16:55. Reason: added a sentence
Old 14th June 2011, 16:50   #56
BHPian

Gosh I didn't realize that the S-MT variant cost 8.66L ex showroom of late.
I bought mine in Dec 08 at 8.23L Ex showroom (Chandigarh).
Prices are back to where they started I guess..
Old 14th June 2011, 16:51   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Aside: It seems rediff is reading T-bhp Have a look at this:

Honda slashes City prices by Rs 66,000 - Rediff.com Business
Don't think so - almost all top car magazines have already reported this. But many a times, other mags do flick t-bhp reports / pics too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
* Rumour - The product in question is slated for a mid life makeover/facelift. So will the "newer" City come at the reduced price if this rumour translates into fact?
If there are no major equipment addition on the speculated newer models, then they should keep the pricing in check. But this reduction now is been touted as a good move and makes the car absolute VFM as reported by top magazines. So if they add some equipments to this list, then they could jack up the prices reasonably and still keep the car VFM. Now they have the space for increasing the price adding enough equipments to the list.
Old 14th June 2011, 16:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Lovely lovely news!

Honda had to do it. Better late than never. Honda was hit so badly first by the Vento and now by the Verna. SX4 D also made a dent in Honda sales by a margin. This price of ANHC now makes much more sense, ofcourse in comparison.

Jazz should also come down by a 50-70k and it will also make a lot of sense. Jazz is a wonderful product from Honda, only badly hit by its price.

Now the only petrol car which can be called expensive in this segment is Fiat Linea TJET. Fiat site reads "The Prices are currently under updation. Inconvenience caused is regretted." So its on the cards.

Love the competition!
Old 14th June 2011, 16:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Insider information = Jazz price cut is confirmed. Management speculating on the timing:

- If they announce it now, in the wake of the City's price cut, it might become "too much news"

- How will it affect the Brio?
GTO, any insider info of a feature-packed ANHC relaunch in Oct-Nov this year?
Old 14th June 2011, 16:57   #60
BHPian

I hope Honda does not jack up the prices with the version. I hate this kind of clearance discount.
Although with Honda reducing the price will others too as well - specially for the Petrol version. And the diesel becomes less attractive. Food for thought, I guess.

OT, I hope the car-like-suv section gets more competitive soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed