Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2011, 18:36   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Any ideas on how i should approach this delicate issue?
I think your price/discount already has it covered.
According to my information Deccan Honda is really well connected in Honda top brass. The very fact that they didn't have any ex-stock and placed new order for your car - doesn't it say all ?? From what I hear Crystal Honda is carrying around 20 cars in stock and they were trying to sell them it at older price (anyway now they have to sell it at the new price).
Anyway, as selfdrive said try negotiating informally any gain out of it is Bonus
Old 14th June 2011, 18:45   #77
BHPian

I feel they are trying to create the gap to launch a version with the ACC and more goodies. May be the facelift that has talked about in another thread!
Old 14th June 2011, 18:50   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What a time for this thread!
So we have booked the Honda City a couple of days ago.
got a disc of
50K cash
20K accessories
70K Total

We booked the ANHC V AT Exclusive
Delivery is sometime around the 19th
So the price change would be in effect by then.

My Q and concern
Will i get the benefit of 44K? as mostly dealers say that the on road price on delivery will be final.
If i speak, will the dealership say, YES Sir we can offer you the new price, but then no further discounts. resulting in me being the loser.
Any ideas on how i should approach this delicate issue?

Usually don't ask for help in negotiating with the dealerships, but this one has me fumbled.

Before convincing the dealer, most of the people who are nice in everyday dealings need to convince themselves.

I suggest you rehearse with some friend - ask him to play dealers part. Even if you both know what you each are going to say, once you have said it a few times in a control setting you'll not be using your brainpower looking for words when actually talking to the dealer.

Regarding the ethics of the situation - if Honda had increased the price the dealer would have charged you that. So it makes no sense not to ask for the new price. Ask around and be prepared to walk out. (in fact do walk out if nothing else works and then feign as if you have changed your mind reluctantly if the guy does start cancellation proceedings)
Old 14th June 2011, 18:54   #79

This is marked as a fighter's desperate roundhouse when a chap has been jabbed and dodged too many times. The only thing that can save Honda now is cheap and I mean dirt cheat hybrids. They have to sell cheaper and give more car per car or the Brio maybe their death-rattle here in India.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:12   #80
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant move. City will again sell well at least for a few months till the price cut euphoria settles down. I hope there is no cost cutting involved. Now hope that Jazz too goes through a price cut albeit a heavier one.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

How about Civic? Its sales are significantly down too, from its hey days.

Thanks Honda - welcome back!!
Old 14th June 2011, 19:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

Is this in itself a brilliant move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is VERY dangerous. Can piss off the far larger number of existing City owners who would already be having resale issues courtesy the petrol price. and now this!!

They were the automotive equivalent of Apple in India. *sigh* no more.

Clearly, they don't have a diesel in their hands and are panicking for volume.

Too little, too late.

Unadhikakritamkritam.
I can draw parallels to that Blackberry piece I forwarded you.

Honda in the late '90s -> early adopters -> favourable press -> surging demand from the masses.

Now, how many of the NHC/ANHC customers have -
- upgraded from the OHC/NHC?
- upgraded from non-Honda C (and below) segment cars?

And how many NHC/ANHC customers have upgraded to the Civic/Accord/CR-V?

Price cuts will bring in the fag end of the market and boost volume temporarily. And then what?

The real deal will be a new design/product. I dearly hope Professor is right. But for the life of me I can't remember if Honda India cut prices on the OHC/NHC/7th gen. Accord/old CR-V before introducing the respective upgrades.

These price cuts were a NEEDED move in my opinion, and not a BRILLIANT move. (At least w.r.t. the City. The Jazz is a different story.)

Some more needs to be done before I'll call this a brilliant move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
On seeing this move, the exact thought in my mind you had put it in words. For me I had picked up my Civvy 4 years ago at atleast 2 lakhs lesser, now if they price the new Civic down by 2 lakhs, its still where they started
There is inflation....

(That's just what I say to console myself whenever I think of what I paid for my July '10 Civic V M/T vs. what it cost back in 2006 when it was launched and I took my first TD. )

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 14th June 2011 at 19:31.
Old 14th June 2011, 19:37   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points:

- Related Discussion on Honda India (a SWOT analysis) : The Way Forward.

- Honda today announces a new price structure for the City. These prices will be effective from June 14, 2011.

Attachment 560370

- The benefit in on-road price will be even greater, as the road tax & insurance will be cheaper too (vis a vis older on-road pricing).

- Obviously, it's competitive pressures & the disadvantage of not having a diesel variant at play here. My take? BRILLIANT move. This is the first time in history that the Honda City has gone through a price cut. I have always insisted that the City is the most all-rounded petrol sedan one can buy in the C segment; the new prices will only expand its appeal. I strongly recommend Honda to cut the price of the Jazz as well. The market doesn't have any problem with the otherwise brilliant hatchback, except for its price. Repositioning is also required with the Civic (or perhaps, price the upcoming new gen Civic more competitively) and the Accord (better equipment + that 2.2L diesel!). Honda has no other choice if it wants to claw back marketshare.

- Interestingly, and defying trends, it's the base variant that has the fattest price cut. A strategy for volumes.

- In a way, Honda has just made official the discounts that its dealers were already offering. In the last quarter, discounts of upto 50K were not uncommon. Question is, will dealers offer a further discount on the new ex-showroom prices?

- Expect all future launches, especially the Brio, to be well-priced. Competition is a wonderful thing!

I don't know about whether we should call something that has been obvious to everyone for a long time now and also something that is the only play left for Honda a "brilliant" move. That would like calling the winner of a race of one a champ.

This is not so good news for those who bought a new City recently and good news for those who were planning to buy in next few months.

However this is GREAT news for those (like GTO and many other smart fellows) who are in the market for used Hondas

prices for all second hand Honda vehicles will fall in anticipation now
Old 14th June 2011, 19:40   #84
BHPian

whats all the commotion about. There were already discounts of upto 60k on city. Due to this price cut the discount has come down. We the customers are losing 20k and why are we hailing Honda.
Chalu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 20:01   #85
BHPian

Can someone please upload a pricing matrix of Honda City with its competitors? That would be some very very useful information !!!
Old 14th June 2011, 20:07   #86
Team-BHP Support

They don't have a choice but reduce the Jazz price cos now the EMT City is just a few grand more than the Jazz.

Just hope they didn't remove some features with this discount.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:12   #87
BHPian

Finally, Honda had to bite the bullet.

I had a good laugh at the comments from Mr Jnaneswar Sen, Sr. Vice President – Sales & Marketing, Honda Siel Cars India "In anticipation of bigger volumes resulting in economies of scale from the second half of current year, we have achieved considerable cost reduction and are happy to pass on the benefit to the customers with immediate effect". Polished way of not admitting that competition has finally forced them to take such drastic steps.

GTO already mentioned about possible price cut of Jazz too. Finally, Honda waking up to competition and to the demands of Indian customers.

Anyways, do we expect a face-lifted or next generation City anytime soon? I think there is already a separate thread on the topic.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Honda has been already offering big discounts on the City for some time now, so I wonder how much is this move actually going to help Honda sales. I mean, customers always check the final OTR price (including discounts) before arriving at a buying decision. In that respect, this move may not help sales much - although it will bring more people to the showrooms.

Honda's biggest 5 problems are: (1) lack of diesel (2) lack of diesel (3) lack of diesel (4) lack of goodies (5) price
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 20:43   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will i get the benefit of 44K? as mostly dealers say that the on road price on delivery will be final.
I don't think anyone will give both the discounts together, even if you threaten to walk out of the deal! I would say you take the new price which will benefit you on the OTR as well and then haggle for the 20K discounts also. That should still get you the same 70K discount [44K + savings on RT / Insurance + 20K freebies] as a whole. And don't you get the corporate discounts?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th June 2011 at 20:45.
Old 14th June 2011, 20:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I don't know about whether we should call something that has been obvious to everyone for a long time now and also something that is the only play left for Honda a "brilliant" move. That would like calling the winner of a race of one a champ.
Why is it Brilliant? Lowering the base price also translates to lower insurance and road tax as well - thats what makes it brilliant IMO. Especially down south here in BLR where the road tax is 15% - imagine that!!

I am betting the Jazz cut would be steeper if they want to sell (their pre-launch target of) 2000 cars per month. Jazz makes an awful lot of sense even upto 50-70K more than i20 Asta & Polo Highline petrols.

Game on!

Last edited by Equus : 14th June 2011 at 20:53.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed