Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 00:37   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post

My logic in buying EMT is simple if all variants have purely cosmetic updates why spend a lac extra on minor updates when the heart of the car: "engine" and other safety features like ABS with EBD and Airbags are standard.
Your logic is very much correct. EMT is actually now the VFM variant of Honda City. You can get music system, security system, seat upholstery of your choice, no issue in that. You can go ahead with EMT.

Quote:
I will also check the body kit if they can offer it on a good discount. Wont teflon be useful to avoid minor surface scratches?
I don’t know the exact reason but most people will not recommend Teflon coating (including me). Just give your car a good wax job (turtle or any other good carnauba wax) every month and it will be fine.
Old 16th June 2011, 01:01   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
There is a domino effect and the just price slashed Jazz prices (first ever by Honda Siel) will be nearer to the newly slashed City as I was reading in the media. However, to overcome this problem they can launch a new combo model CITYJAZZ with the best of both worlds.
Having diesels in the range is the only way to taste success in the Indian car market today. Honda has been doing without it for more than a decade, whereas MSIL with no diesel in its armory was shrewd enough to rediscover its family tree via the GM-Fiat route and then get the MJD's.
I don't think they will be slashing Jazz's prices anytime soon, unless they launch the much-rumored facelifted 2011-2012 version with a slightly underpowered engine and maybe cutting back on some features. Till then, they will continue to offer Jazz with heavy discounts (of upto 50,000) and that famed Honda insurance at Rs. 1/- is always a puller.

Of course, this price cut of the City has brought it glaringly close to Jazz territory, and the honchos at Honda will be mindful of this. What will they do to counter, remains to be seen. Maybe a 20K-25K drop at the most.

Who wouldn't want a Jazz at 6.5-7 lakh, ex-showroom? It would be an absolute steal! Not to mention, it would give the Polos and Puntos a real run for their money!

And suppose they roll in diesel trains by next year? Maybe source them through a JV (since they have taken a massive hit by the tsunamis), or make indigenous ones. Maybe the engineers at Honda are already hard at work on a fantastic diesel engine on lines of the MJDs, who knows!
Old 16th June 2011, 01:52   #198
BHPian

When a colleague told me today that Honda had just cut prices of the City I joked that they've probably removed the passenger seat in exchange for the price cut.

The mighty Honda that refused to cut prices in the midst of the slow down and instead offered dull cheap looking interiors (when it first launched the current gen City) has now been forced to do the unthinkable. My advice to Honda - good that you did what you should have done long ago. Keep up the quality - that's why people even consider buying a Honda, but keep the prices reasonable. Your cars will sell better than they ever have.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:41   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been on the lookout for a new car for ages and finally the long wait is over. I have taken quotes from few dealers and will be booking either SMT or EMT model soon.

I still wonder if its worth it going for SMT just for stereo/body colored kit etc. I rather install better tyres and alloys with a cool ICE and enjoy the drive. Honda is offering corporate discounts over and above the current price cut which I feel is a good offer however they have discontinued 4 yrs warranty and road side assistance.

It would be interesting to see see the additional warranty cost. They are offering body package with Teflon and anti rust for approx 8000 with warranty. I hope its worth the cash.

I will update on the purchase soon and yes I am going for the Urban Titanium color.
I too would suggest you stretch that 60K odd and go in for the SMT especially since you plan to keep the car for 8-10 Years. A small price difference but worth it for the added kit, especially when planning to keep the car for so long.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:48   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda has probably won back the defectors to Vento/Verna with this move but it's unlikely to win them any new customers. The ANHC was perceived as being overpriced in the first place!
Old 16th June 2011, 09:13   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Though you were mocking me, I really enjoyed sense of humor in that comment I actually din't want them to say anything like that, because it makes them look very silly as we all know the real reason behind this price cut. They had no option left I would say.
Apologies. It was not meant to be mocking though on reading my response again I too feel that it had that mocking tone.

Quote:
I have been on the lookout for a new car for ages and finally the long wait is over. I have taken quotes from few dealers and will be booking either SMT or EMT model soon.

I still wonder if its worth it going for SMT just for stereo/body colored kit etc. I rather install better tyres and alloys with a cool ICE and enjoy the drive. Honda is offering corporate discounts over and above the current price cut which I feel is a good offer however they have discontinued 4 yrs warranty and road side assistance.

It would be interesting to see see the additional warranty cost. They are offering body package with Teflon and anti rust for approx 8000 with warranty. I hope its worth the cash.

I will update on the purchase soon and yes I am going for the Urban Titanium color.
I did the same. Didn't care much about steering controls or beige interiors. Got alloys, ICE and upgraded tyres to R15 195/60. Wider tyres give it a much better look. Though back then (about a year ago), there was very limited color options in EMT model - black, white and some version of brown. I got black and though it looks great (when clean) it's a pain to maintain. You may want to consider the color options available in EMT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Honda has probably won back the defectors to Vento/Verna with this move but it's unlikely to win them any new customers. The ANHC was perceived as being overpriced in the first place!
A minimum of Rs44K cut will surely make many think about the petrol->diesel converts again. Diesel advantage has become less significant with such a significant cut + the fact that VW has already increased prices of it's diesel Vento. Others might follow suit. No manufacture who has invested a lot on money on the petrol model can afford to ignore it even if the diesel's production can't meet the demand.

Last edited by asr245 : 16th June 2011 at 09:20.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:00   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
6. Dealer will not waive/give away S-kit for free.
Can you please elaborate on the S-Kit? What does it consist of? I see you have taken 3,000 for that in the spreadsheet.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:16   #203
BHPian

This is probably one of the threads which has run into 14 pages within 1-2 days of starting which goes to show that how many people are interested in the topic and are excited by the news.

One point proven is that Honda has been charging a premium on the city considering its success in the market.

One more point proven is that competition gets the consumer best products at the best possible prices.

The top end City now sells for less than Rs. 10 lac which means that customers in Karnataka will pay reasonably less road tax and the on road price comes down drastically.

Wish Honda adds up features such as ACC, side and curtain airbags etc to make the deal more exciting.

The ones who were planning for a Honda City go grab your car right away.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:19   #204
Senior - BHPian

Though a nice move, I hope it doesn't become a classic case of "too little, too late".
Old 16th June 2011, 11:07   #205
BHPian

Team-bhp Mods

I got a confirmation from a Honda insider that the facelifted/upgraded ANHC will be launched in September 2011.

My previous thread "Rumoured facelift and interior upgrades to ANHC" was deleted. If you feel that this is more definitive news then could you please re-post it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:15   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
I got a confirmation from a Honda insider that the facelifted/upgraded ANHC will be launched in September 2011.
Some points to note here:
1) Can the insider news be quoted as an official confirmation ?? (I guess -NO)
2) Is the romoured facelift the same as that was referred in pics and the source websites ?? (I guess -NO)

So, the point here is all the models undergo some changes gradually with the model maturity & market conditions - So not sure if we should call them as any major facelifts.

I have back tracked my source of facebook quote from Honda India (which is a fan page and nothing more). Please refer the post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2393344
Old 16th June 2011, 11:18   #207
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
:they have already revised the prices in may but forget to update that on their website .
@.sushilkumar
have the increased or decreased the price ?
is it across all models ?
siddutta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2011, 11:41   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Your logic is very much correct. EMT is actually now the VFM variant of Honda City. You can get music system, security system, seat upholstery of your choice, no issue in that. You can go ahead with EMT.
EMT doesnt have EBD. Only ABS - right? And dual airbags are there too.

offcourse, music system/alloys/etc etc are missing too..
Old 16th June 2011, 11:46   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Some points to note here:
So, the point here is all the models undergo some changes gradually with the model maturity & market conditions - So not sure if we should call them as any major facelifts.
=> Honda is being beaten up by everybody for being behind on the technology features curve. hence it is very relevant that we discuss all updates from Honda, facelift or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I have back tracked my source of facebook quote from Honda India (which is a fan page and nothing more).
=> Lets not dismiss anything here, the fan page is the most credible link because if you look at his previous post he has predcited several such upgrades from Honda India in the past. You can't expect the official Honda site to give forward-looking information. (Offtopic: social media is very powerfull, it is even used in crime scene investigation and in particular facebook has been pivotal in organising revolutions and bringing down three dictators this year)

Last edited by bharatbs : 16th June 2011 at 11:50.
Old 16th June 2011, 11:54   #210
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I don’t know the exact reason but most people will not recommend Teflon coating (including me). Just give your car a good wax job (turtle or any other good carnauba wax) every month and it will be fine.
I agree 100%. I suspect duPont also does not recommend it. One major issue is that in India there is a lot of dust, and PTFE being soft will wear out. Also, we tend to pick up nicks by the dozen.

As for the price decrease it is fine. However, I still have a reservation. Service interval of 3 months! Are Honda making their drive-trains out of cardboard?

Even with the Civic where the interval is now six months, the dealership rings up every three months. Not many people are smart enough to tell them to get lost. Even the sticker they put on the car is for three months.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks