Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 16:27   #256
BHPian

Re: Honda India slashes the City's price by Rs. 44,000 - 66,000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Honda, you deserve to sell this time
There is no doubt, they are the best C segment Petrol car.

AFAIK they are still the highest selling Petrol car in C segment.
Just that the diesel cars are selling more (for obvious reasons) so ANHC figures look bad.
Old 17th June 2011, 16:40   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
The price difference between the SX4 zxi and the City VMT at that time came to around 1 lakh. I thought it silly to spend that much more money for essentially the same product (image notwithstanding) so went in for the SX4.
Well, saying SX4 and ANHC are the same product, is at best a personal opinion. To me, they are way apart, given the quality and resale value.
I know of a person who bought a SX4, had to deal with pathetic FE figures, very high maintenance costs, and finally when he sold it back to Maruti True Value after around 3 years, he nearly lost 50%!
Also, based on reports, the ANHC i much more refined and reliable (I have not driven either of them extensively to make my own observation). And its resale is the best in class. So I guess that makes the initial 1 lac investment worth it for me. Atleast I will not lose 50% in 3 years.

Most importantly, the SX4 could not harm ANHC in any which way for the past 3 years despite the pricing. A Vento had to come by to have an impact. So that should say volumes about how the junta perceives the SX4 vis-a-vis ANHC.
Old 17th June 2011, 18:37   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post

And its resale is the best in class. So I guess that makes the initial 1 lac investment worth it for me. Atleast I will not lose 50% in 3 years.

OR let's put it this way - I'll be very happy to buy his City if some poor soul is losing 50% in 3yrs.
Old 17th June 2011, 19:27   #259
BHPian

Finally the fort has fallen, City was the last one standing when it came to resale value, we are now truly entering the Global era of cheap and realistic pre-owned prices. Thank God for that. Now I am very keen to see a 3 year old 3 series for 50% its price!!
Old 17th June 2011, 19:43   #260
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they have finally woken up from the slumber, but is it too late?
Vento, SX-4, Linea & Fiesta all have diesel options which has been sufficiently discussed in this forum. Have always maintained that they make quality cars but is it really worth the packets they charge you for? My take is probably this is a rubber band solution to buy time before they get their strategies realigned.
Right time to source a diesel engine and take the challenge head on with their competitors, one question always bugs me. We have all been speaking of Honda's ability to create quality cars with leading technologies (VTEC) find it a bit astounding & hard to digest that they aint got the brains for a diesel engine!!!

Last edited by ku69rd : 17th June 2011 at 19:47.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:44   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Well, saying SX4 and ANHC are the same product, is at best a personal opinion. To me, they are way apart, given the quality and resale value.
I know of a person who bought a SX4, had to deal with pathetic FE figures, very high maintenance costs, and finally when he sold it back to Maruti True Value after around 3 years, he nearly lost 50%!.... So that should say volumes about how the junta perceives the SX4 vis-a-vis ANHC.
Image, Image, Image, that's the key. not the intrinsic value. The Honda mystique is well created and well maintained by Honda, e.g, by not discounting even at gunpoint, by buying up used cars from the market, etc. all of which shores up the re-sale value of their cars.

Anyway, for me, given I keep my cars around 6 years, re-sale is not a deciding factor. As for maintenance costs , that's not the feedback I have had from this forum and a few personal contacts here in Goa. I have never been let down by Maruti service as yet, which is more than one can say for many other A.S.S in Goa. And FE, assuming it's even that much a difference (not my experience), given my running of around 12K kms a year, I'd have been hard-pressed to recover the price difference.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:18   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Price comparison of the Base variants at the nearest dealer -

City 1.5 E MT : Rs. 766,300.

Jazz : Rs. 745,100.

Both prices are ex-showroom.

That is uncomfortably close.

Can anyone confirm if that is the present price for the Jazz, or has Honda recently done a quiet price cut for the Jazz too?

With all the discounts available, the Jazz seems like quite a steal, and a better choice than, say, a Polo 1.6 or a top-end i20.
Old 18th June 2011, 11:38   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Can anyone confirm if that is the present price for the Jazz, or has Honda recently done a quiet price cut for the Jazz too?

With all the discounts available, the Jazz seems like quite a steal, and a better choice than, say, a Polo 1.6 or a top-end i20.
For that price, I doubt if the Jazz becomes a steal even if you factor in a 50K discount. It has a 1.2L engine and yet costs more than the 1.6 Polo. The Jazz could do with a 1L price cut.
fuel_addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 12:19   #264
BANNED

^^Jazz also feels one size bigger than the Polo. Priced around the 6.5 OTR mark, the Jazz should fly off the showrooms. i20 is nowhere close to the Jazz, be it performance, engine, ride & handling or reliability.
akhilesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 12:20   #265
Senior - BHPian

Prices slashed along with the warranty - now it's only 2 years instead of the earlier 2+2.

Also roadside assistance is now a paid affair.
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 12:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Honda has not officially done price cut for Jazz.
If you look at the variants of Jazz, Jazz Select makes most sense as you get alloys and parcel tray for an additional 10K.
Jazz Select is almost similar in features to the ANHC V (plus/minus a couple of features). Jazz Select is available at 75K discount easily which makes it almost 2 Lakhs less than ANHC V even after the price cut. When I bought Jazz Select, it was more than 2.5 Lakhs less than ANHC V.

Last edited by adimicra : 18th June 2011 at 12:31.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 12:43   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Jazz Select is available at 75K discount easily which makes it almost 2 Lakhs less than ANHC V even after the price cut.
That would make it pretty good VFM standpoint in my view.

I have an interesting anecdote to narrate. Last year when we were in the process of purchasing our Civic, we didn't really have eyes for a Jazz. This was even after looking at it closely in the showroom.

However, on a couple of occasions wife and I got a test drive (as passengers) in the Jazz Pride Honda uses for their dealership <-> workshop milk runs. I must say, it totally blew our minds. My wife, who till then didn't even want to touch the Jazz with a 10-ft barge pole now was on the verge of being unable to contemplate a life without a Jazz in it .

If I wasn't so hell-bent on buying the Civic and Civic only, I think we would've plumped for the Jazz, price notwithstanding. This was in July 2010.

One thing that befuddles me now is why Honda dealers are reluctant to offer proportionately huge discounts on the Civic. Even with the insurance at INR 1, the overall discount (including its effects on road tax) factoring in corporate discounts is only around 60k. There are no freebies thrown in in the form of accessories or service coupons or cash discounts. And the same dealers offer freebies by the dozen on the ANHC and Jazz.

If anything I feel the Civic and Accord and CR-V are facing a bigger threat from their respective competitors than the ANHC is facing from other C-segment cars. Just look at the volumes. The ANHC is still "OK" whereas the larger cars are now complete disasters for Honda. The dealers' inconsistency beats me thoroughly.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th June 2011, 14:52   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
For that price, I doubt if the Jazz becomes a steal even if you factor in a 50K discount. It has a 1.2L engine and yet costs more than the 1.6 Polo. The Jazz could do with a 1L price cut.
Well, they are offering 55K discount and the Rs.1/- insurance, claiming a total savings of 75K. Together with the Active kit thrown in (at least), it should take it to around 1L struck neatly off the OTR price. Like adimicra said in his ownership thread, it's best to claim for at least 1L worth of savings for the Jazz to be close to a VFM premium hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
^^Jazz also feels one size bigger than the Polo. Priced around the 6.5 OTR mark, the Jazz should fly off the showrooms. i20 is nowhere close to the Jazz, be it performance, engine, ride & handling or reliability.
Very true. Jazz gives off the feeling of being more car per car. The length, breadth and height may be similar to the Polo/Punto and slightly lesser than the i20, but what it cleverly does is provide oodles of space inside and in the rear! It is a mini-sedan or MPV disguised as a hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Prices slashed along with the warranty - now it's only 2 years instead of the earlier 2+2.

Also roadside assistance is now a paid affair.
That is bad news. Honda has struck itself on the foot again.

Honestly, what's the problem if they offered the 4 yr Warranty as standard? How many Citys actually come for that? Most Citys are built to last. This move is just not understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Honda has not officially done price cut for Jazz.
If you look at the variants of Jazz, Jazz Select makes most sense as you get alloys and parcel tray for an additional 10K.
Jazz Select is almost similar in features to the ANHC V (plus/minus a couple of features). Jazz Select is available at 75K discount easily which makes it almost 2 Lakhs less than ANHC V even after the price cut. When I bought Jazz Select, it was more than 2.5 Lakhs less than ANHC V.
I feared as much. Thanks, adimicra.

Yes, I went through the brochure earlier and the Select seems like the best buy of the lot. But the dealer refused to throw in any of the kits I asked him, and offered only the 55K and Rs.1/- insurance. Think I will wait for a bit - a price cut on the Jazz feels imminent, hopefully before the holiday season rolls in.

If not, there's always the City.
Old 18th June 2011, 15:10   #269
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
There is no doubt, they are the best C segment Petrol car.

AFAIK they are still the highest selling Petrol car in C segment.
Just that the diesel cars are selling more (for obvious reasons) so ANHC figures look bad.
Just today on Bloomberg Autocar show pitted the Verna against the City. City is still tops - by a whisker. Honda cars are excellent, and by all accounts are not expensive to maintain. Only I wish they do something about the silly service intervals.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 15:50   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
I don’t think Honda will go that low (650K OTR) with the Jazz. Not just that it feels one size bigger than the Polo, it is an excellent case of effective space management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
If anything I feel the Civic and Accord and CR-V are facing a bigger threat from their respective competitors than the ANHC is facing from other C-segment cars. Just look at the volumes. The ANHC is still "OK" whereas the larger cars are now complete disasters for Honda.
Great point. And the fact is that, these disasters are happening for some of the better products from Honda, especially the Civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just today on Bloomberg Autocar show pitted the Verna against the City. City is still tops - by a whisker. Honda cars are excellent, and by all accounts are not expensive to maintain. Only I wish they do something about the silly service intervals.
Yes, and for the first time, I felt that City is showing its age. The said face-lift in the later part of the year will be hugely beneficial.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed