Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 16:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why no Automatic Transmission with Base Variant?

Why should only Americans ( and Canadians ) have all the fun? Our manufacturers should let average car buyer too sample convenience of AT. Apart from Americans, well-off Indians, too, ( those buying cars above 30 lakhs which come only in AT ) are having fun. It is only lower end buyers who veer towards MT to save 60-70 K up front money and 1-2 km FE.
Old 5th March 2013, 07:53   #47
BHPian

I think it's really just a case of chicken and egg. Developing an AT takes time and effort and manufacturers have this perceived notion, which may or may not be true, that ATs won't sell well in India in the lower end.

If Maruti has to start developing an AT transmission today for the Alto, it'll have to invest for atleast two years. When they're able to sell over 20k units without doing anything, why would they?

I'm sure the manufacturers have more data than us and know the kind of questions people ask in showrooms before buying a car and what kind of consumers go for the low end model and which kind buy the high end model. Maybe, there really isn't much demand for an AT on a low end model. I'd, personally, love to see AT being offered on all models.

Coming to the lack of a diesel AT, that is, in my opinion more interesting (and maybe straightforward to understand). Most people in India are buying diesel cars because diesel is cheaper. People buy the lowest end model of a diesel car to save on the upfront cost of a diesel car and then feel happy for saving money at the petrol bunk every week. If the primary consideration for buying a car/model is cost, I doubt these guys will plonk money on an AT for some added convenience.

That said I think, we're about to reach the tipping point. More and more people are beginning to ask for ATs in their cars and the only reason is the pathetic traffic conditions in our cities. Tier2 cities are slightly better and manufacturers will take ATs seriously only when demand from T2 cities also starts picking up.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:33   #48
BHPian

I think most manufacturers are happy with their numbers and don't want to invest in ATs for the Indian Market. Not sure if this situation will ever change, unless India becomes a priority market for the manufacturers.
Until then we'll keep making AT cars for export to other countries .
Old 5th March 2013, 13:17   #49
Team-BHP Support

Just to let you guys know that Hyundai has launched the Fluidic Verna Automatic in the base EX trim now. It's priced pretty decently at 10.4L ex-showroom Bangalore. The EX gets 2 airbags, ABS, reverse sensors with camera, steering mounted audio controls, bluetooth and other features. Biggest features you lose from the top end AT trim are 6 airbags in SX(O) vs 2 in EX, leather in SX(O), alloy wheels in SX(O).

The EX is 1.5lakhs lower than the SX(O) AT.

Even Toyota introduced the Altis Petrol AT in the lower G variant few months ago.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 06:18   #50
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking to buy a new car for my dad costing between 8-10.5L.
Since it has to be a AT the options I have are all petrol which include Verna EX, Rapid Ambition Plus, ANHC S, I20 Sportz and Scala RXL.

After considering Features, Economy, A.S.S. and car reliability which would be the top 2 ideal choices and why?

PS: owned the last 2 city generations. Currently own a pre facelift ANHC. Might not favour the same.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:39   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Guys, I'm looking to buy a new car for my dad costing between 8-10.5L.
Since it has to be a AT the options I have are all petrol which include Verna EX, Rapid Ambition Plus, ANHC S, I20 Sportz and Scala RXL.

After considering Features, Economy, A.S.S. and car reliability which would be the top 2 ideal choices and why?

PS: owned the last 2 city generations. Currently own a pre facelift ANHC. Might not favour the same.
My Pal owns a Honda City Automatic and is extremely happy with it.

If you no longer want a Honda, then if I were you, from the choices listed above I would go straight for a Scala. Nice looking car. Decent features and from all accounts dear old Renault is really getting its act together in India.

I do not like the Verna because Korean design is ugly. I do like the I 20 because it was originally envisaged for European markets and comes with a lot of stuff in it. It is certainly better looking than its other Hyundai brethren but at the end of the day it is a large ish hatch whereas all the other cars in the consideration set have boots.
The Rapid is a nice car and pretty good looking and tough too, but the Scala takes the edge on account of its relative newness.

In a nutshell go for the Scala and enjoy it.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:25   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

If not the City, then as Shankar puts Scala (or the Sunny) is a good option.
In the case, if it has to be driven by a chauffeur, then the back seat comfort is best in class.

On the other if you need a smaller car for city comfort take the I20 AT.
Good well rounded feature set and pretty much loaded.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:43   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

My Pal owns a Honda City Automatic and is extremely happy with it.

If you no longer want a Honda, then if I were you, from the choices listed above I would go straight for a Scala. Nice looking car. Decent features and from all accounts dear old Renault is really getting its act together in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

If not the City, then as Shankar puts Scala (or the Sunny) is a good option.
In the case, if it has to be driven by a chauffeur, then the back seat comfort is best in class.

On the other if you need a smaller car for city comfort take the I20 AT.
Good well rounded feature set and pretty much loaded.
I was going through the duster threads and it seems that Renault service in NCR isn't that good. Add to that the fact that Scala is 40k more expensive that Verna on road. City S is the most expensive.

So my question is, is this difference worth paying?

PS: No idea about real world discounts etc at the showroom. Will start TDs soon
Old 28th March 2013, 08:47   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So my question is, is this difference worth paying?
How is Nissan service around the region? How about Sunny CVT?
It should give almost similar features like Scala at a lower price point.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

How is Nissan service around the region? How about Sunny CVT?
It should give almost similar features like Scala at a lower price point.
As of what I last heard, Nissan is not doing any better than Renault.
I will check Sunny's details and confirm the same.
Old 28th March 2013, 14:59   #56
BHPian

Sunny is out. Dad rejected the design
Old 28th February 2020, 09:40   #57
BHPian

Automatics in Base trim

As per market research there has been a high demand of automatics in last few years. It’s a welcome change. We have at present automatic options in all the mass market cars, but have only in mid variants or top variants. Recently Jeep announced the availability of automatic variants in the lower trims.

If automatic trims are available in lower trims it will be boon for customers who wish to taste the convenience of automatics at a lower price point. It will be of a great help for customers who are looking for a:
• Beater car / second car
• Car for college going kids
• Car for senior citizens / or for ladies at home (if they are ok with a lower trims)
• A car to modify as per individual taste
• For cabs etc.

With the government making basic safety features standard, it makes sense to buy an Automatic in base trim, as per the individual needs.

Last edited by smileline : 28th February 2020 at 09:55.
smileline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 09:51   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Automatics in lower trims

I think now there are a good number of options across variants. Probably the cab segment is not yet in a position to adopt AT due to various reasons, but for all the other use cases mentioned, there are enough options spanning different models.

Of course, like Toyota did with the Yaris, a AT option for all variants would be welcome. Am sure we will get there soon.

Had done a listing of all AT's on sale in India last year- Has not been updated for the launches post August last year(need to do that), but shows the number of options and the overlapping price ranges.

AT Cars 2019 Thread Link
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 09:57   #59
BHPian

Re: Automatics in lower trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I think now there are a good number of options across variants. Probably the cab segment is not yet in a position to adopt AT due to various reasons, but for all the other use cases mentioned, there are enough options spanning different models.

Of course, like Toyota did with the Yaris, a AT option for all variants would be welcome. Am sure we will get there soon.

Had done a listing of all AT's on sale in India last year- Has not been updated for the launches post August last year(need to do that), but shows the number of options and the overlapping price ranges.

AT Cars 2019 Thread Link
My Bad, I meant in the bare bone base variants, have edited the thread. That is a superb comprehensive thread.
Old 28th February 2020, 10:14   #60
BHPian

Re: Automatics in Base trim

Automatics are still perceived as a premium feature in the Indian market. I don't foresee manufacturers offering it at base variant. We still have base variants without A/C and power steering being offered even at this age!

I would rather have airbags and ABS as basic feature before AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks