Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 14:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The New 2011 Audi A6 to be launched by the End of June. Deliveries start Septembe

Curtains will be lifted on the new generation Audi A6 on the 3rd of August in Gurgaon.

Audi will put this vehicle on the market for customers at present enticed by the Jaguar XF, BMW 5 Series or the Mercedes Benz E-Class.

Audi stopped selling the A6 a few months back and requested interested customers to deposit money on this model. Having asked customers to wait, pressure was immense to bring out the model before customers looked in other directions. Unlike some years back, 2011 has plenty of alternatives (apart from the other two Germans) including a Jaguar and a Volvo for 50 lakh rupees.

The New 2011 Audi A6. EDIT : Launch on 3rd August, 2011-newaudia6india.jpg

Official teaser website up - Audi

Visit to learn more about the A6.
Old 24th July 2011, 14:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: The New 2011 Audi A6 to be launched by the End of June. Deliveries start Septembe

Well, it has gotten a lot sharper and even though it's more of a scaled down A8, rather than a grown-up A4, it is still quite a good car. With Merc's E-Class and the new BMW 5er selling like hot cakes, it's high time Audi take it up a notch and reaffirm their status in the luxury car segment. And they really need to work on their after-sales-service.

That said, they have priced it really well and might just tempt more people into shelling out a few large-ones to acquire it.
Old 24th July 2011, 15:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

The car will do well initially due to the new model hype, but over months I think the BMW 5 will continue leading as it does offer better value, consider this the A6 3.0 TDI is at about 60L OTR here and the BMW 530d is 52.5L OTR and you could easily get the insurance thrown in free for the BMW and even if not then too you still have the added advantage of Rear Seat entertainment + HUD + Navigation system in the BMW. Audi has also skipped the electrical steering column adjustment which is a huge bummer, and I fail to understand why something this basic is left out.

Here is my post from another thread "A6 2.0 TDI OTR is 49,43,571 in Ahmedabad and the 520d is 42,37,773 and above all the 525d is 45,60,794"

Even the 525d now comes with the rear seat entertainment as standard, and E class also offers it so why did Audi India not offer it and keep it optional?

When it comes to Value the BMW will win, and about driving dynamics, I still have not driven the A6 but I still think over all the BMW will continue to be #1 in the long run from the 3 german titans.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 24th July 2011 at 15:41.
S350L-E240 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 19:07   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Curtains will be lifted on the new generation Audi A6 on the 3rd of August in Gurgaon.

Audi will put this vehicle on the market for customers at present enticed by the Jaguar XF, BMW 5 Series or the Mercedes Benz E-Class.

Audi stopped selling the A6 a few months back and requested interested customers to deposit money on this model. Having asked customers to wait, pressure was immense to bring out the model before customers looked in other directions. Unlike some years back, 2011 has plenty of alternatives (apart from the other two Germans) including a Jaguar and a Volvo for 50 lakh rupees.

Attachment 581970

Official teaser website up - Audi

Visit to learn more about the A6.
Are you sure the launch is on 3rd August? Audi Mumbai West dealership has invited me to Gurgaon on the 8th of August for a test-drive and I guess the launch is going to be that night.
Old 24th July 2011, 20:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

The pricing indicates lack of part localization by Audi OR too optimistic OR both. BMW seems to pack the most of all the 3.

Guess Audi is trying to be what ANHV did in its segment, but that had the features to back it big time. But Audi doesn't have that.
Old 24th July 2011, 21:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

dipen,

Absolutely agree with you, Audi lacks the localisation needed, and BMW India has always been quick and extremely aggressive about making the necessary moves, here are a list of innovations I would credit them with including getting multiple variants of a car with various engines, getting the right product at the right price at the right time, BSI + Secure, extremely nice dealers where a few come from outside the automotive business and leading to a lot more ethics compared to some of the mass car dealers who have turned into auto dealers for luxury brands and apply similar level of experience to it (I am not talking about all of them) also being the first to offer integrated Navigation system, also BMW Financial services which has been in operation now since almost a year now and offer wonderful deals and best is no foreclosure charge if you are buying another BMW from them and getting few basics as standard including electric seats, HUD.

Sorry for going off topic, coming back to the A6 I do believe Audi initially will do a lot of numbers but once the new factor goes off and also BMW starts deals on the 5 like the Mercedes-Benz E-Class people will be inclined towards the 5 due to value and I am pretty worried if Audi India is being over optimistic about its price? Some things should have been standard like I have said previously, and of course the price of those LED headlights is huge, and without them the car does not exactly stand out much, and to top it off they have not chosen the full chrome grill either which again should have been taken for Indian market.

I will look forward to this battle from Jan 2012 once the heat of all the new factor settles down and I assume E and 5 will also have more variants / features by then?

Regards,
Old 24th July 2011, 22:33   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Are you sure the launch is on 3rd August? Audi Mumbai West dealership has invited me to Gurgaon on the 8th of August for a test-drive and I guess the launch is going to be that night.
Well, IAB certainly claims so - Audi India launches new A6 on August 3; Teaser site up

Should have added the source link to my initial post above, but the 30 minutes given for editing was up by then. Sorry, n:CorE.

Maybe they have preponed it to 5 days earlier than the scheduled 8th August launch, as per your info. Better check with your local dealership for any updates.
Old 25th July 2011, 01:03   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
dipen,

Absolutely agree with you, Audi lacks the localisation needed, and BMW India has always been quick and extremely aggressive about making the necessary moves, here are a list of innovations I would credit them with including getting multiple variants of a car with various engines, getting the right product at the right price at the right time, BSI + Secure, extremely nice dealers where a few come from outside the automotive business and leading to a lot more ethics compared to some of the mass car dealers who have turned into auto dealers for luxury brands and apply similar level of experience to it (I am not talking about all of them) also being the first to offer integrated Navigation system, also BMW Financial services which has been in operation now since almost a year now and offer wonderful deals and best is no foreclosure charge if you are buying another BMW from them and getting few basics as standard including electric seats, HUD.

Sorry for going off topic, coming back to the A6 I do believe Audi initially will do a lot of numbers but once the new factor goes off and also BMW starts deals on the 5 like the Mercedes-Benz E-Class people will be inclined towards the 5 due to value and I am pretty worried if Audi India is being over optimistic about its price? Some things should have been standard like I have said previously, and of course the price of those LED headlights is huge, and without them the car does not exactly stand out much, and to top it off they have not chosen the full chrome grill either which again should have been taken for Indian market.

I will look forward to this battle from Jan 2012 once the heat of all the new factor settles down and I assume E and 5 will also have more variants / features by then?

Regards,
Couldn't agree with you more bro. BMW India has shown all-star performance when it comes to marketing, sales and pricing strategies. It's just right in front of you what car is more VFM. You know I have been in a new-car dilemma since quite sometime now. The Audi still doesn't entice me despite all of it on paper. In the end, it's VFM and price that matters. Sure Audi will take the limelight for a while, but this is momentary until the new-car hype dies down. And I don't say that BMW will be affected, it's long ahead in this race. What will be interesting to watch is Mercedes & Audi battle.

As for me, I'm pretty much decided on the Beamer, it's just a matter of time all the finances are in place. But then again the Jag XF 2.2d is due. Boy this part of the Market is heating up now

As they say "Lambi race ka ghoda sirf ek hai" and that's definitely BMW

@ RavenAvi

Thanks for the info bro, I shall check with the dealership about this

Last edited by n:CorE : 25th July 2011 at 01:06.
Old 25th July 2011, 09:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

What I liked about BMW as a company: they are extremely aggressive in Indian market (except for the lack of spare wheel which I think is an HQ engineering stubbornness). They had a proper strategy to take on Merc and executed it very well - in terms of product offering, service/maintenance packages. The BMW India success is not by an accident.

Audi clearly doesn't want to rock the boat, even though they have excellent products in each of the key segments (a4, a6, a8). Being part of the larger VW group, Audi has a better potential to exploit economies of scale. I mean what message are you sending to the customer by offering all the cool stuff as $$$ options and no assurance of hassle-free ownership? Certainly not a blitzkrieg!

Lot of car buying happens based on the company credibility (think Maruti) and strong products alone won't get you the numbers.

OT: I prefer the BMW F10 design and that is why I didn't bother to wait for A6 while buying it a couple of months back. The A6 looks after-market-ish and flavour-of-the-day type (my subjective opinion). I am certain the A6 interiors will be better in terms of aesthetics and comfort but that is not enough.
Old 25th July 2011, 12:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT here but i just could not resist. Off late i have been reading a lot of crap about Audi needing to improve their A.S.S. If i may ask where are these people getting so called reports of BAD Audi A.S.S from anyways ??? For starts i have not read any owner complaining off late because of shoddy A.S.S or any other issues pertaining to that and since i can only speak for myself, it is 1.5 years now, i just got a mid-monsoon check up and a few tweaks done on my car from Audi Mumbai West and they have consistantly been extremely prompt & on their toes where service is concerned. I am a very happy customer not only because of the car but also the back up Audi are providing me in the form of A.S.S. People if anyone really has problems with Audi A.S.S please bring it to light and lets lay this issue to rest. Lots of crap about 'Audi A.S.S' lately.
Old 25th July 2011, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The car will do well initially due to the new model hype, but over months I think the BMW 5 will continue leading as it does offer better value, consider this the A6 3.0 TDI is at about 60L OTR here and the BMW 530d is 52.5L OTR and you could easily get the insurance thrown in free for the BMW and even if not then too you still have the added advantage of Rear Seat entertainment + HUD + Navigation system in the BMW. Audi has also skipped the electrical steering column adjustment which is a huge bummer, and I fail to understand why something this basic is left out.

Here is my post from another thread "A6 2.0 TDI OTR is 49,43,571 in Ahmedabad and the 520d is 42,37,773 and above all the 525d is 45,60,794"

Even the 525d now comes with the rear seat entertainment as standard, and E class also offers it so why did Audi India not offer it and keep it optional?

When it comes to Value the BMW will win, and about driving dynamics, I still have not driven the A6 but I still think over all the BMW will continue to be #1 in the long run from the 3 german titans.

Regards,
In Chennai the Audi A6 3.0 TDI ( standard variant ) is Rs. 57 odd lacs OTR.
The 530d is about 58 odd lacs OTR here.

I think your figures about the Audi's being priced much higher than the BMW's is incorrect ( perhaps with all the silly options that Audi offers, it might be true; but the standard variants with Audi are quite well kitted out ).
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:53   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Small correction there. The Audi prices you mentioned are on road whereas the 520d and 525d prices are ex show-room.

The new A6 2.0 TDI is 49L on-road bangalore, just confirmed from the Audi dealer here.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:56   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

The new A6 2.0 TDI is 49L on-road bangalore, just confirmed from the Audi dealer here.
That makes it about 3l cheaper in Mumbai? In that case its really not much more than the 520d. I think Audi seems to be getting their act together.
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Those were OTR prices for the A6 and the BMW 5, both directly from the price lists for Ahmedabad. A6, prices perhaps may vary as there are certain features which are optional, but at least the allocations my dealer has there are none with basic specs. the only thing a few cars do not have is the LED lights.

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Small correction there. The Audi prices you mentioned are on road whereas the 520d and 525d prices are ex show-room.

Old 2nd August 2011, 22:37   #30
BHPian

Re: The New 2011 Audi A6. EDIT : Launch on 3rd August, 2011

The launch for the A6 in mumbai will be next week i will keep you guys posted!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed