Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 09:38   #211
BANNED

Re: Tata Merlin SUV spotted - The Safari replacement?

IS this the new Safari?
Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-08052011004wm.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-08052011005wm.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-08052011006wm.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 9th May 2011 at 14:14. Reason: Watermarked the Pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Spitfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 09:48   #212
BHPian

NO, thats the upcoming Force Motors' SUV based on Guangdong Foday Explorer III
Old 9th May 2011, 09:49   #213
Senior - BHPian

The classic under-tyred look makes it look like the Tata clan. Even the front fender and the alloys look Tata. I am only confused by the quarter glass on the rear door and the larger rear panel window after the rear door.

Looks bigger than the previous one. If at all, that square opening is for the fuel lid, the position has changed from the left to the driver's side.

Good work on the camo though.

On second thought, might be the new Force SUV.

Last edited by discoverwild : 9th May 2011 at 09:50.
Old 9th May 2011, 09:55   #214
Senior - BHPian

It is ofcourse the Guangdong Foday Explorer III. The wheel arches and the tail lamps are a dead give away. And these are one of the clearest pictures of the Force motors SUV yet.
I request the mods to move the posts to the Force motor's SUV thread.
Old 9th May 2011, 10:19   #215
BANNED

Thanks guys, wasn't sure which one this is.

The driver braked and disappeared after my wingman took the pictures. The vehicle looked good.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:30   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This is definitely the Force Motors Sardine Can. They hope to sell it on the simple logic that if you can put a Mercedes engine in a Morris Oxford, people will overlook all other aspects to get the power train. One thing to keep in mind is to look see if this vehicle has undergone any international crash tests. Seat Belts, Air Bags, ABS etc are useless if the body crumples like a matchbox.

I for one do not have the courage to to spend 13 Lakhs on a Force Motors Product. I would any day pick up the Aria or New mahinda SUV. These guys have a lot of experience from the Scorpio/Safarii platform before designing their new products.

@ACM I don't think Tata ever had many issues with their design and engineering. They are way ahead of other Indigenous Indian Manufacturers. There biggest flaw before and now is keeping their production quality.

If you look at their products, they are pretty well designed and engineered.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:05   #217
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Motors SUV to be launched in end-2010. EDIT : Spotted again. Pics on pg.15

Note from Support: Post deleted. Kindly refrain from posting racist comments please.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th May 2011 at 22:50. Reason: See note.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 23:48   #218
Senior - BHPian

Re: Force Motors SUV to be launched in end-2010. EDIT : Spotted again. Pics on pg.15

This Guangdong Foday Explorer III looks like a total non-standard product straight up! In fact it looks worse than the Premier Rio. How can they even think of pitching this against established and competent players already in the market?

I wonder why firms like Force motors and Premier lack the motivation to develop indigenous products or concepts even after Tata Motors and Mahindra have left a force to reckon with. Total lack of insight I'd say!
Old 10th May 2011, 10:07   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
I wonder why firms like Force motors and Premier lack the motivation to develop indigenous products or concepts even after Tata Motors and Mahindra have left a force to reckon with. Total lack of insight I'd say!
I think it is habit carried over from past, when all they had to do was to take a foreign car, indigenize those components that were easy to carry out, and import the rest. Even on a modest scale, design, validation and tooling requires a lot of time and money, which they may not like to invest in.

Doing it from scratch requires long term commitment, and they seem to be shirking it and taking the easy way out.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is better for us, as, no matter how much time energy and money they spend, they could never have produced an engine to match the one they now have sourced from Mercedes! Good for us then
Also the tried and tested Foday Explorer III body parts may be better to start of with when the company is yet to have a sound engineering team.
Old 10th May 2011, 11:15   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Doing it from scratch requires long term commitment, and they seem to be shirking it and taking the easy way out.
Or maybe they just dont have enough money to do it.

Building a vehicle ground up is a complex and financially straining and if the product bombs you are looking down the barrel.

Ask TVS about their geared scooter.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:04   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I think this is better for us, as, no matter how much time energy and money they spend, they could never have produced an engine to match the one they now have sourced from Mercedes! Good for us then
Also the tried and tested Foday Explorer III body parts may be better to start of with when the company is yet to have a sound engineering team.
+1. We need to understand that they are targeting two tried & established brands / products with this car. On one side we talk high of M&M / TATA, on the other, the very same companies are bashed with no mercy for their quality / niggles for a 10L product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Or maybe they just dont have enough money to do it.

Building a vehicle ground up is a complex and financially straining and if the product bombs you are looking down the barrel.
+1. Both TATA & M&M has had a very good financial background when they started their own R&D for an indeginious product. I doubt whether Force is having that sort of money with them. Add to it the time taken for a product to be made from scratch.

I would anyday prefer a car which is trouble free and has good quality than bothering to live with a product which is indeginious but not niggle free !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th May 2011 at 13:09.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:15   #223
BHPian

Here are some more pics, although not as good as Spitfire's. Pics courtesy BSM
Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-ng1.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-ng2.jpg

Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai-ng3.jpg
Old 10th May 2011, 13:23   #224
Senior - BHPian

Big SUV for sure, looks massive. But it looks pretty dated as it lacks the cohessive desing of a modern SUV. The Mercedes sourced powertrain has to be good. Now only if they got the quality and pricing spot on. And of course, a premium brand feel A.S.S. network too.
Old 10th May 2011, 15:33   #225
Senior - BHPian

I just happened to see the Force Motors SUV here being tested in Mumbai-Pune NH. As all have mentioned, it really looks massive and was comfortably managing speeds of around 100 kph. Finally, when it came to a stop under the shade of a tree, I managed to take a couple of snaps. I will share the pictures once I reach home in Chennai.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed