Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 14:41   #481
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Force Motors SUV to be launched. EDIT: Launched @ 11lac Ex-showroom Mumbai

i think its the same engine merc used to use in its E220 when that car was first launched in India in the late 90's. Not the current gen engine for sure.
also, looks like this beast comes in 2WD only? any info to the contrary?
must be pretty large - almost the same size as the Endy give or take or like a Sumo Grande XL size it seems?
dear old Beige interiors - a real surfeit of this colour I must say!
and what about safety features like Airbags and ABS - cant see any mention of this in the brochure - or have I missed something somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Answer is NO! This is a seperate engine, specifically licenced for this vehicle only. Its the same engine Merc uses in its E220

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th August 2011 at 14:44.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:47   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i think its the same engine merc used to use in its E220 when that car was first launched in India in the late 90's. Not the current gen engine for sure.
also, looks like this beast comes in 2WD only? any info to the contrary?
must be pretty large - almost the same size as the Endy give or take or like a Sumo Grande XL size it seems?
Well sir,
The bench marking happened against Innova and Xylo. And yes, it is a 2WD for now and will be launched in 2012, as stated in the website. They are introducing ABS and other features around the same time.
The engine is also used in current C/E class but ofcourse with higher power ratings.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:51   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
i was surprised reading the vehicle was 2510 kgs .After checking on the website, just realized that
KERB WEIGHT = 1860 kgs
GVW = 2510 kgs
- Is my understanding wrong? Isn't kerb weight the weight of the car + all equipment + full tank of fuel + consumables? Doesn't that in turn mean "gross vehicle weight"?

- Still going by the above: why would equipment + consumables + full tank weigh a whopping 700kgs above the bare weight?

- As I said in one of my earlier posts 2500+kg is HEAVY and heavier that the Endeavour!!! And if they go for 4WD box + other advancements later, it's bound to get heavier. That 2.2L FMTech better be good!
Old 20th August 2011, 14:59   #484
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This engine is a jewel. Good decision also in getting Amitabh as the car's mascot. It will get the SUV 10X more eyeballs than otherwise.

I have severe reservations on the build, fit, finish and dealer experience though. Will wait till a full review is compiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Is my understanding wrong? Isn't kerb weight the weight of the car + all equipment + full tank of fuel + consumables? Doesn't that in turn mean "gross vehicle weight"?
Nope, gross vehicle weight includes the weight of passengers as well.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 15:03   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This engine is a jewel. Good decision also in getting Amitabh as the car's mascot. It will get the SUV 10X more eyeballs than otherwise.

I have severe reservations on the build, fit, finish and dealer experience though. Will wait till a full review is compiled.

Nope, gross vehicle weight includes the weight of passengers as well.
Sir, when is TBHP getting its hands on Force one? I would any day believe TBHP comprehensive review than those on the news channels.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 15:05   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
- Is my understanding wrong? Isn't kerb weight the weight of the car + all equipment + full tank of fuel + consumables? Doesn't that in turn mean "gross vehicle weight"?

- Still going by the above: why would equipment + consumables + full tank weigh a whopping 700kgs above the bare weight?

- As I said in one of my earlier posts 2500+kg is HEAVY and heavier that the Endeavour!!! And if they go for 4WD box + other advancements later, it's bound to get heavier. That 2.2L FMTech better be good!
Kerb Weight = Vehicle Weight + Fuel Weight + Lubricant Weight
GVW = Kerb Weight + Passenger Weight + Payload/Cargo/Luggage Weight

I would assume that the remaining 650 kgs are accounted as follows:

For a 7 seater vehicle, 70 ( Avg of 70 kgs per person) x 7 = 490 kgs

Rest 160 kgs can be accounted for by luggage weight

Can one of the experts please comment ?
Old 20th August 2011, 15:17   #487
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

pal I couldnt agree more. Our manufacturers need to get away from this constant cosmetic refresh rubbish that they are so fond of and instead focus on superb quality, fit, finish, finesse and safety above all else!
when will they learn is the question!
I feel a bit like Don Quixote tilting at windmills each time I make this statement - because nothing ever seems to come of my rantings on this subject!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
M&M, TATA, TOYOTA & others in this space, better start getting into the quality game instead of 'refresh' 'limited' etc versions to keep novelty.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:20   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
Kerb Weight = Vehicle Weight + Fuel Weight + Lubricant Weight
GVW = Kerb Weight + Passenger Weight + Payload/Cargo/Luggage Weight

I would assume that the remaining 650 kgs are accounted as follows:

For a 7 seater vehicle, 70 ( Avg of 70 kgs per person) x 7 = 490 kgs

Rest 160 kgs can be accounted for by luggage weight

Can one of the experts please comment ?
I think this and GTO's post above explains it
Old 20th August 2011, 15:42   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
I wish they give a rebirth to their ghurka like thar
During the F1 launch event yesterday, it was mentioned that they plan to relaunch the Gurkha in Jan 2012. (Source: Rushlane live webcast of the launch). But I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

If they do relaunch the Gurkha with the OM611 engine and new & modern interiors, then THAT would be a really interesting vehicle..... provided they get the pricing right, of course.

F1 is a good effort. They tried to keep things simple (and cost down) with just one variant and keeping the focus on creature comforts rather than 4x4, ABS etc. The obvious selling point would be the excellent engine & transmission (though over a decade old). Hope TBHP gets to have a proper test drive soon.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:28   #490
Senior - BHPian

The car does not look proportionate from the siide, especially the rear doors and the rear doors and the third seat windows.
Secondly, they have shot themselves in the foot by placing it at par with the scorpio. With the duster and the new safari around I dont think force is gonna make a big impact with its wafer thin dealer network.
Old 20th August 2011, 18:53   #491
Senior - BHPian

Finally, the beast is out. Is this really the replication of the chinese counterparts or partly a new invention? At 11L with all the specs and only one fully loaded variant on market, definitely looks likely to give stiff competition to the likes of Scorpio, Safari in the SUV segment at this range. Doubt if Bolero will be affected by this, probably not. The design though plain vanilla, seems quite decent and workable considering there are still dated designs doing well in market. Atleast Autocar review says the ride better than Scorp. Power delivery also seems pretty good.
Old 20th August 2011, 19:44   #492
BHPian

At some angles this looks rather nice though the front is slightly dated. It has decent color options and overall at first glance the package looks tempting. However IMHO the lack of ABS in a vehicle in this category today is simply unforgivable.

I remember a scary incident in my earlier i10 when I was accelerating at 70+ near silk board junction and did not notice the red traffic light. At the last moment before crossing the signal I noticed vehicles starting from the other direction and braked hard. The vehicle skidded for 2 meters before coming to a halt just in time. The road surface had some loose particles. I thus consider ABS as a basic necessity even in hatches. Given the large dimension and heavy weight of the Force 1 imagine the momentum a fully loaded one with passengers and luggage, will possess hurtling down a highway. An emergency braking could be fatal.

I can live without DRLs, leather seats, even airbags etc. Not having ABS is a deal breaker. As several others commented if they were in a hurry to get to the market and did not have time to match an ABS unit to the drivetrain, what is the guarantee that the other components like chinese body, own chassis, merc engine and others are properly mated together ?
Old 20th August 2011, 20:33   #493
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess they have put some genuine efforts. Would have been really nice had they added ABS / Airbags too initially itself. After al we are talking about a 10L+ vehicle. Also I kinda feel that they managed to do more than the initial scorpio. So the next SUV to be launched by 2013-14 should be lot more accomplished than this. Way to go guys ! Waiting for a review, when is t-bhp mods getting their hands on one ?
Old 20th August 2011, 20:37   #494
dot
Senior - BHPian

The Business Standard article said ABS is not going to offered initially. The pictures of Force One looks ok. I will also reserve comments till I see the vehicle in flesh as looks can be deceptive. Build quality, panel gaps, plastic quality are question marks at this point, considering FM's current commercial vehicles.

LAUNCHED! Force One SUV starts at Rs 10.65 lakh
Old 20th August 2011, 23:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

This is avery honest attempt from Force motors. I see if could dent the sales of Scorpio, xylo, safari etc. The look is aged, but the list of features is a boon. Nice try Force!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed