Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2006, 09:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Golf coming to town ?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/1400278.cms

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...113591,00.html

hmmm - the getz, swift, palio are all dead ? Of course VW will price it so high the previous staement will be rendered null and void....its expensive as is. But its actually a threat to the lower end C segmenters, really. Dunno how that'll work here (3box vs 2 box image issues, inspite of actual space available)
Old 4th February 2006, 10:52   #2
BHPian

The Golf and the Octavia share a platform with the Skoda being the cheaper version.

Even if the Golf comes to India, there is no way VW can price it lower than the Octavia unless they fit it with a 1.6 - in which case it would again be poor VFM.

At prices which will definitely be above 10L , VW will have a hard time convincing people to buy a hatchback.

VW would be better off if they introduce the saloon version (Bora ?) based on the same platform. That would have a better chance but would still be a wee bit overpriced considering it's size.

Maybe VW should look into introducing the Polo and Touareg to India.

cheers

zaphod
Old 4th February 2006, 21:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is no way that VW will bring in the Golf to India..at least for the next few years till the market here matures enough to accept a 8-10 lakh rupee hatch. The Jetta seems like the car they will bring in but the question is how are they going to position it since it's the Octavia with a VW badge. If they follow the positioning they have done here in Canada then they may get a few sales but VW will try and price it higher then Laura and if they do that then we will have another European car maker failing in India.
Old 5th February 2006, 08:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Forget the golf, bora etc.

In Brazil, they were selling (I dont if they still are) a small car called the GOL. It was a really fun little car that could had with engines producing upto 130 bhp I think. Thats the car they should launch if they come at all.
Old 5th February 2006, 09:42   #5
BHPian

Market Need

I dont see VW entering the low end market (beetle) as the price would probably be around the same bracket as the fiesta (ford).. That leaves the

Jetta - 2.0T (200bhp!), 2.5L (150bhp) or the TurboDiesel (1.9L - 100bhp - probably the same as the skoda) version
Passat - 2.0T, 3.6 V6 (280bhp) version
Toureg SUV

VFM is key to their entry - Here's my guess - they may introduce the jetta with the skoda engine (economies of scale) and 2.0T (to differentiate vs. RS) and the Passat with just the 2.0T version. They will of course offer the Toureg as a CKD version..
Old 5th February 2006, 09:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj
VFM is key to their entry - Here's my guess - they may introduce the jetta with the skoda engine (economies of scale) and 2.0T (to differentiate vs. RS) and the Passat with just the 2.0T version. They will of course offer the Toureg as a CKD version..
That is correct, but how VFM can VW be when their own VFM brand Skoda is NOT considered VFM in this market since they price at a premium?

I'd love to see the GOlf in India, but I fear Skoda has screwed up their turf with the premium positioning of their cars. VW will now have to go super-premium, which means they can look at bringing in the Passat (again priced over the Superb???).

Or make trucks.
Old 5th February 2006, 10:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

VW should have realized by now that India dosent like big hatchbacks. Which means Golf is out of the question. Selling the Jetta is tricky because the interior is same as Laura. customers will soon figure out thats its a Laura with new clothes.

Their best bet is to start with the Polo sedan and maybe the new Lupo based European Fox.
Old 5th February 2006, 17:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
That is correct, but how VFM can VW be when their own VFM brand Skoda is NOT considered VFM in this market since they price at a premium?

I'd love to see the GOlf in India, but I fear Skoda has screwed up their turf with the premium positioning of their cars. VW will now have to go super-premium, which means they can look at bringing in the Passat (again priced over the Superb???).

Or make trucks.
V true. Skoda itself has built an image of a great but upmarket car - more so from the maintenance point of view. Maybe the Jetta will 'replace' the Octavia which could even be stripped down (interiors wise) and sold cheaper. Either way they've got themselves in a spot positioning wise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks