Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:14   #1
BHPian

GM showcases the Chevrolet Beat Battery Electric Vehicle

General Motors India has showcased the Chevrolet Beat Electric Vehicle, or BEV, as a part of ongoing celebrations of World Environment Day. The demonstration vehicle will be used by GM India to showcase the effectiveness of battery electric vehicle technology in India. GM India engineers will also use the vehicle to address potential cost savings to help make BEVs more affordable for global customers.

The electric Beat is powered by a lithium-ion battery and can go at least 130 km in a single charge under normal driving conditions.

Seems to be a good concept if they can introduce it in next 3-5 years.

The following is the link to the article.

GM showcases Chevrolet Beat Battery Electic Vehicle

GM showcases electric 'Beat' in India - PTI -

Courtesy: Moneycontrol.com and Business standard Motoring

Mods: kindly merge or delete links in case of copyright issues
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:40   #2
BANNED

Re: GM Introduces Chevrolet Beat Battery Electic Vehicle

This is exciting considering fact that only other option till date was Reva. Evenafter taken over by Mahindra, there is hardly any strategic efforts.

New beat will surely fuel electric car market.

Any idea when can it be available for TD?
Old 23rd June 2011, 17:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I guess the title of the thread needs to be changed. The impression one gets is that electric Beat has been "INTRODUCED" in the market. Which is not the case yet.

GM showcases Chevrolet Beat Battery Electic Vehicle -- will be a better title.
Old 24th June 2011, 04:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
This is exciting considering fact that only other option till date was Reva. Evenafter taken over by Mahindra, there is hardly any strategic efforts.

New beat will surely fuel electric car market.

Any idea when can it be available for TD?
If I am not mistaken, this was just a showcase of a prototype car and wont be launched any time now. Hope its fate doesnt turn out to be like the electric spark.

Report: Chevy e-Spark coming to India later in 2010 — Autoblog Green
Old 24th June 2011, 15:03   #5
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Chevy is coming up with a Electric version runs of Lion batteries which can give a backup of 130 KMs in a single charge.

The most exciting part is its going to be priced in 4L range

May be within 1-2 years, its going to be a hot cake here because of the rocketing fuel prices.

Chevrolet Beat Electric in India - Chevrolet Beat Electric Price, Chevrolet Beat Electric Reviews | CarDekho.com

GM showcases the Chevrolet Beat Battery Electric Vehicle-beat-electric.jpg
Beat Electric displayed by General Motors | CarTradeIndia.com

GM unveils Chevrolet Beat electric in India | Rush Lane

EDIT:

Found another link which has some realistic figures ie; its going to be priced in 7L range.
http://blog.cardekho.com/2011/06/gm-...lhi-today.html

Last edited by sajjt : 24th June 2011 at 15:06.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Chevy is coming up with a Electric version runs of Lion batteries which can give a backup of 130 KMs in a single charge.

The most exciting part is its going to be priced in 4L range

May be within 1-2 years, its going to be a hot cake here because of the rocketing fuel prices.

Chevrolet Beat Electric in India - Chevrolet Beat Electric Price, Chevrolet Beat Electric Reviews | CarDekho.com

Attachment 565767
Beat Electric displayed by General Motors | CarTradeIndia.com

GM unveils Chevrolet Beat electric in India | Rush Lane

EDIT:

Found another link which has some realistic figures ie; its going to be priced in 7L range.
GM India unveiled Chevrolet Beat Electric in New Delhi today | Cardekho Blog Post

I doubt it, as India doesn't have the infra or mentallity to accept electric cars yet, especially for highway rides. If they launch it as a dual fuel car, then it may be a success here.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:35   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: GM showcases the Chevrolet Beat Battery Electric Vehicle

Man, I was so excited about the E-Spark. For one, the petrol Spark is well priced and thus, a 4.xx lakh rupee E-Spark was a reality. Second, I quite like the Spark as a car. Too bad Chevy & Reva's tie-up ended abruptly upon Mahindra's entry.

Hope that an E-Beat becomes a reality sooner rather than later. It's about time the Indian market gets practical electric cars.
Old 24th June 2011, 23:34   #8
BHPian

* The sad truth is that as of today in the Indian context practical electric cars are a possibility if and only if one is a DIY enthusiast.

* I doubt very much if a sub 5 lakh EV is possible with a range of 100 Km or more with a Li Ion battery pack. The biggest impediment will be the battery pack.This will have to be imported from China - the most economical vendor as of date. Rest of the stuff such as the motor, inverters, battery management system etc can be sourced/fabricated locally. Plus Li Ion is prone to temperature related problems and needs a complex cooling system. A better option is LiFePo battery pack.

* I had once made some enquiries about converting a mid sized sedan to an electric. The cost estimate had come to around approx 30 K USD including the donor vehicle. This was one the basis of all components being imported from the U.S. other than the donor vehicle which I intended to be an Opel Astra. Custom and Shipping had to be factored into this. If someone with an engineering background got down to this I am quite sure that the cost can be shaved by a good 20% or so.

* Here is a link to a chap now working for Tesla who converted a Passat to an electric ( I had posted this link on another thread). Quite informative about the whole subject. Maybe one day I shall be able to get my self a big bloated vehicle and convert it to an electric with a a CNG based range extender option.
Old 25th June 2011, 07:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Comeon GM! Go, launch the car in India and set a precedent. I am sure, with spiraling fuel prices, Indians will lap up the electric Beat even if it is priced close to 6 Lakh rupees. I was really hoping that the e-Spark that was displayed in the Auto Expo would become a reality but it didn't, courtesy Mahindra.

I am sure, if someone starts, all other manufacturers will join the bandwagon. Hyundai and Mitsubishi are the other manufacturers who have the potential to tap this segment with their i10 Electric and MIEV models.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:12   #10
BHPian

There is an alternative that is available in the form of a parallel plug in hybrid conversion by Bharat Forge ltd through their associate/ subsidiary company KPIT Cummins . However this is more like a wanna-be Prius in the form of the legendary lassi makers converted out of old washing machines in Punjab. .

As far as my limited knowledge goes it would have been much better if they had focused on developing a series Plug-in Hybrid on the lines of the Volt launched by GM.

See the link embedded here for the difference between a series and a parallel plug-in hybrid.
Old 25th June 2011, 13:12   #11
BHPian

This is a a good video about the car by Car blog India.

Major things to notice:

1. A different Instrument cluster ( Wonder Why? )

2. Auto gearbox ( Can this be implemented on Beat D and P ? )

3. The Black panel which runs through the dashboard on the doors seems silver.( Looks nice)

I don't know if this is against the rules, mods kindly delete the link if inappropriate.

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 25th June 2011 at 13:16.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:39   #12
BHPian

Here is a video of Beat Electric test vehicle - NDTV Sidharth with Carl Slym test driving:

The highlights are:
- It shares the same battery pack of Chevy Volt from US.
- Lithium battery
- Range of 130 km per charging.
- 8 hours for full charge.
- Good acceleration and starting torque
Old 4th August 2011, 17:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like GM will not release the Electric car in the near future!

"Auto major General Motors India on Thursday bemoaned the lack of requisite infrastructure in the country, especially power, to enable it to come out with the electric car.

"We have proved, by displaying the electric car in Delhi, that we have the technology. But where is the infrastructure, particularly power?" P Balendran, Vice-President, GM India, asked at a press conference here.

He said when there was power shortage for domestic purposes, it would be difficult to get additional power for recharging the car battery. Such bottlenecks could be a problem to commercially launch an electric car in India, he claimed."

Lack of infrastructure in India for electric car launch: GM - The Economic Times

Most Viewed