Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 12:20   #1
BHPian

After Etios Liva, Toyota to develop two more small cars for India

After marking its debut in the volume driven compact hatchback segment, the Japan based leading car maker Toyota is now planning to roll-out two more small cars in the Indian auto market. The company is also looking forward to add a new SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) in its India portfolio. As per the company, it is likely to partner with some other corporations like Japan’s Subaru, French Peugeot and sister company Daihatsu.

Speaking to the reporters, Hiroji Onishi, president, Toyota Motor Asia Pacific, said, “The line-up of cars that we have in India is not sufficient to cater to the growing demands of this market.” He added that the company sees a larger potential for cars like one smaller and cheaper than the Liva, a car bigger and more expensive than it and a compact SUV.
According to the company, India would be the primary market for its upcoming Toyota cars. However, the small car plans of the company are not limited to India, as there has been a steep rise in the demand for fuel-efficient small cars in other world markets.

While further elaborating company’s plans, Onishi said that with Peugeot in Europe, the company already has a partnership (B-Zero project) and a similar method could be thought of with other companies like Subaru as well.

Source - After Etios Liva, Toyota to develop two more small cars for India | CarTradeIndia.com
Old 29th June 2011, 13:13   #2
BHPian

Re: After Etios Liva, Toyota to develop two more small cars for India

Great news,but i really hope toyota doesnt come again with etios/liva like interiors.I vetoed my dad's decision to buy the car just for the interior.feels downright cheap.But toyota being haloed,they will get away with it.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:40   #3
BHPian

How about Yaris?It will be more expensive than Etios.Or other Daihatsus like Etios.Quaility is really important-not nos.Good interiors,reasonable snob value.Just a Toyota badge is no longer enough.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
How about Yaris?It will be more expensive than Etios.Or other Daihatsus like Etios.Quaility is really important-not nos.Good interiors,reasonable snob value.Just a Toyota badge is no longer enough.
No Yaris for India, according to Toyota.

Quote:
Speaking exclusively on the sidelines of the Etios Liva launch in Delhi, Mr Sandeep Singh, Deputy Managing Director of Toyota Kirloskar Motor said the company is not interested in bringing Yaris hatchback or Yaris sedan to India.

Mr Sandeep Singh, DMD of TKM -
If you look at Yaris, it is full of features. It is an expensive vehicle even in Europe. The alternative to Yaris we brought in India is the Etios. If you look at the size (of the two vehicles), it is almost same. We have no plans (for Yaris). I don’t think we will ever bring the Yaris to India. It is not meant for India.
Official - Toyota rules out Yaris for India
Old 29th June 2011, 16:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Sorry, but what does Toyota mean when they say Yaris is not meant for India? Perhaps we should understand it as: we cannot compete with the others in this segment in India, and we have already brought out a cheaper version of the same.

Enough of this Toyota, even Honda has learnt that only a badge will not work wonders.
Old 29th June 2011, 16:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Sorry, but what does Toyota mean when they say Yaris is not meant for India? Perhaps we should understand it as: we cannot compete with the others in this segment in India, and we have already brought out a cheaper version of the same.

Enough of this Toyota, even Honda has learnt that only a badge will not work wonders.
My thoughts, exactly.

I think they are playing it safe with the Etios and Liva. Bringing in the Yaris at the price range of the Etios could mean either - 1) tough times for the sedan which is trying to find its feet, or 2) a flop for the Yaris a-la the Honda Jazz. People might prefer a better-built and superior-engineered hatch to the cheaper sedan, or vice versa. Either way, sales figures won't improve.

Besides, they are very positive and optimistic about the showing of the Etios and the Liva. And judging by how the mass market behaves, they just might churn out decent numbers for the siblings.

Now, a sub-Etios hatch could help them catch more numbers in the volume market, but that is still a few years off. Maybe a Toyota powered with a 800-1000cc engine, inside an uber-compact hatch (like the Spark or even a Nano?!) and a price range starting from 2.5L onwards. Just imagine!
Old 29th June 2011, 17:12   #7
BHPian

Post CORRECTED by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Kindly ensure that you type in full & proper English, for the benefit of other board users.

We hereby advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Did I hear a compact SUV with the possibility of teaming up with a sister company like Daihatsu?

If you are listening toyota an etios 1.5L diesel sourced terios would be perfect of india i think.. and if possible in the colour below.
Attached Thumbnails
After Etios Liva, Toyota to develop two more small cars for India-terios.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2011 at 17:01. Reason: No SMS language on this community please
amrisharm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th June 2011, 18:26   #8
BHPian

The Toyota's strategy for India growth appears bang-on. They do need a car smaller than Etios/Liva, in and around the Alto/Santro segment, for deeper reach and faster growth and it's good to know that this realization has dawned upon them now.

However, would I expect new Toyota cars with segment-leading, or even par for the segment, interiors and features? The Toyota I know, pl. correct me if I am wrong, typically offers average or even segment-below features and interiors, be it in India or abroad. What it does offer, and mint money from you and me on, is bulletproof reliability, hasslefree ownership, unexceptionable functionality and ever-lasting comfortable driving experience. In my view, those who love features and interiors, would be disappointed with every Toyota launch, which essentially would be a no-nonsense product first and foremost. As there would always be Hyundais, Marutis, Fords and Chevrolets making superior offerings in these terms for the segment. As for premium offerings from Toyota, there is always a Lexus!
Old 29th June 2011, 19:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The Daihatsu Terios/Toyota Rush LWB(7 seater) will be a smash hit in India with a diesel heart under 8lakhs.
But Toyota had said that nothing will be launched before 2 years and only after establishing brand Etios will they contemplate anything newer. So guess we have to wait that much longer. Hope it doesn't mean a Fortuner kinda gestation period

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2011 at 17:02. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 29th June 2011, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Mr Sandeep Singh, DMD of TKM -
If you look at Yaris, it is full of features. It is an expensive vehicle even in Europe. The alternative to Yaris we brought in India is the Etios.. We have no plans (for Yaris). I don’t think we will ever bring the Yaris to India. It is not meant for India.
Being DMD of a company like Toyota, Mr. Sandeep needs to be courteous in his public comments. I think what he meant is "Yaris is not meant for India. Indians only accept / need piece of trash like the Liva/Etios (cheapofied to the bone)"

This only increases my respect for Honda and Jazz. They brought their world car Jazz, more of less unchanged, to our country. They might not be able to price it to our liking, but at least they tried to give us a world class product and not shortchange us like Toyota.
SunilM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 16:32   #11
BHPian

Further expression of strategic intent by Toyota for India growth:
Quote:
...With global markets such as Japan, North America and Europe showing signs of degrowth, India and China seem to be the focus markets for Toyota. “Indian market is much bigger for us now, than in the past,” Nakagawa said.

The company with products including Corolla, Innova, Camry and Fortuner was addressing only 12% of the market. With the launch of the Etios and the Liva, it has gone upto 48%. “The next two years, our focus will be the compact, B segment,” said Sandeep Singh, deputy MD, Toyota Kirloskar. The Etios and its variants will be the gamechanger for Toyota in the Indian market. “Etios will be the flagship product for us.

As it was developed and adapted for India, there are a lot of learnings in terms of positioning, pricing and sourcing that been taken up globally,” Singh said. The compact segment currently accounts for more than 50% of the car market. Last year the company sold 74,000 units and this year it would touch 140,000 units. he company has been focusing on personnel and dealer training programmes, educational programmes and increasing the competitive spirit among employees across the globe through ‘skill based competitions.’ With a change in the profile of customers, the company was forced to redesign dealerships.
Source: Toyota to rev up market share, hire 2,000 people-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times on Mobile
Old 30th June 2011, 18:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Being DMD of a company like Toyota, Mr. Sandeep needs to be courteous in his public comments. I think what he meant is "Yaris is not meant for India. Indians only accept / need piece of trash like the Liva/Etios (cheapofied to the bone)"

This only increases my respect for Honda and Jazz. They brought their world car Jazz, more of less unchanged, to our country. They might not be able to price it to our liking, but at least they tried to give us a world class product and not shortchange us like Toyota.
I agree with you SunilM. Its a shame that the MD speaks the way he does. How dare he say Yaris is not meant for India !! The Etios is indeed a poor car when compared with global hatches. Sure it will do well in India, but that doesnt mean Indians dont pay money for good global cars. I think we need to also pay respect to VW for bringing in a Polo at the price they did. Im sure they dont make too much money on it but its world class.
Old 30th June 2011, 20:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post

Completely agree with you Sunil. Was he joking?
In other words, as an alternative to the expensive and feature-rich Yaris, they gave us the basic very Liva. Now if he feels Yaris is an expensive hatch, I would like to know what he think of a BMW 1-series, Audi A1 or even the excellent Honda Jazz?

I am sure the even the Japanese folks from Toyota will not make such an insensitive statement.
Old 30th June 2011, 22:14   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

C'mon guys, leave it aside and let's look at what the two cars and the SUV will be.
the compact SUV no doubt have to be the delicious Toyota Rush/Daihatsu Terios like @amrisharm said.
The other two cars are the doubtful ones.
The cheaper than Etios will most probably be from Daihatsu,there is a host of WagonR like kei cars that Toyota can choose from
The bigger than Etios (C segment) will mostly be from Subaru or the JDM market.This car is the most intriguing as other than the Yaris sedan there simply isn't any other car in Toyota's line-up,maybe except the Auris(which is a previous gen Corolla.
Regarding the Peugeot connection , the only car that the JV makes now is the Toyota Aygo which is highly unlikely to come here.
Anyway except the two small cars , the Rush is the definite compact SUV that toyota is talking about.
Old 1st July 2011, 08:10   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
C'mon guys, leave it aside and let's look at what the two cars and the SUV will be.
the compact SUV no doubt have to be the delicious Toyota Rush/Daihatsu Terios like @amrisharm said.
The other two cars are the doubtful ones.
The cheaper than Etios will most probably be from Daihatsu,there is a host of WagonR like kei cars that Toyota can choose from
The bigger than Etios (C segment) will mostly be from Subaru or the JDM market.This car is the most intriguing as other than the Yaris sedan there simply isn't any other car in Toyota's line-up,maybe except the Auris(which is a previous gen Corolla.
Regarding the Peugeot connection , the only car that the JV makes now is the Toyota Aygo which is highly unlikely to come here.
Anyway except the two small cars , the Rush is the definite compact SUV that toyota is talking about.
Rush should be a good option for India. Not an exceptional car, but quite a well-rounded 5-seater SUV.

On the small cars, if they need to do anything cheaper than Etios, it has to be something India specific. Even the micro cars like iQ will work out expensive that the Liva.

The bigger than Etios option, in my opinion is only the Vios, which fights it out with Honda City in the Asean markets (I doubt if Toyota will bring a rebadged Subaru here).

Most Viewed